• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

About Time!

KramerSwinger

Local time
10:24 PM
Reaction score
This has been a long time coming! Ive been over on FABO for a few years but just acquired my dream Charger.

A little back story:

My Uncle, Gary, had just sold his 64 Impala (which the dumb kid wrecked shortly thereafter) and was in the market for his next ride. I estimate he was about 22 year old at the time, mid 1973. He at this point had gone through a series of GM products and had a decision to make. Buy a 1970 Chevele, or this 73 Charger. Well he decided that everyone and there mother had a Chevelle in town, and he wanted to be a little different.

The Charger was not a brand new car. The original owner (whom we would meet in the late 2000's at a local car show) had purchased a relatively basic Charger for his wife. An interesting choice for his wife. The car is a base model, equipped with the optional "High Performace" 400ci with the 4 barrel carb and an automatic trans. No A/C or really any other fancy options one would give his wife. Well, as it turned out, she didn't quite care for the car and so they put it up for sale with a mere 2-3k miles on it

Gary decided to pick this gem up. It would serve him as a daily driver from 1973 until sometime in the mid 90's. This was also his 1st step into the MoPar world, which he would never turn back (except for 1 freeby chevy Corsica which was what retired the Charger from daily use).

My Uncle, and this car, are the reason I am a part of the Muscle Car hobby, and why I am a die hard Mopar guy. I remember when I was very young, my uncle would babysit my sister and I, and we knew when he was coming from the rather loud growl of that big block cruising down the road.

The car spent 99% of its life garaged kept, with just 2 years being parked outside when he moved out of town shortly. Once it was retired in the 90's, it would lay dormant in my grandmothers garage until around 2007. My dad tried to convince Gary over the years to take it out and enjoy it, with very little reward. Then I came in the picture. I was becoming of driving age and had significant interest in that car. We convinced him to start taking it out, at 1st just some local cruise ins and small shows. Eventually taking it to some bigger shows but nothing too far from home. I tried for quite some time to get him to sell the car to me, and he would just laugh it off.

Over the years the reason the car wasn't driven much was due to Garys inability to. He has severly cripple ankles and has walked with a cain for longer than ive been alive. He loved that car but just could not do what needs to be done to keep it in shape. After a while I gained his trust and hed toss me the keys from time to time to put miles on it, or get some maintenance done here and there.

I joined the Marine Corps in Jan 2013 and since December of that same year ive been stationed in Okinawa. Some how, some way, my dad and I finally got him to pass the Charger onto me! Once I return to the states at the end of 2015, the car will be receiving quite a bit of maintenance and will return to the road as MY daily driver! I never thought I would be given such an opportunity! It's torturous now having so much time left before I can take her out as MY car.

And though this now means my 70 Dart project is goin to get pushed back yet again, I will be perfectly happy with everyday firing up that old 400 and travel back in time, to when my Uncle first bought the car. Luckily this also means he will be around to see the car fixed up and restored, since I have no plans of altering, only improving!

Here is the 1st time the car was driven in nearly a decade, My dad (shown) and I had just finished a 5-6 hour detail job on her. SO MUCH DUST!

Here is my Uncle Gary in Feb 2011 with the "Old Girl"

thank you for your service.
great story and sweet looking Charger.

Cool story! Great to hear she's staying in the family. Welcome to the big block B-Body world. Nice clean, solid looking Charger!

WOW!
Great car!
Congratulations!

I am in LOVE with that "LOOK"
Such a sweet car.

Great story.

Nice story, nice car! Thanks for serving! :headbang:

I appreciate the kind words. Can't wait to get back and get some work done. Over all she doesn't need a lot, especially compared to my Dart, but I'm certain I'll have many question as I enter a new realm of Mopardom.

It's About Time...that you came back! :) Seven posts in five years since you joined? :)

And what a great car to come back with. Always great to have the whole story of a car, and to see it kept in such great shape. Thanks for sharing with us.

Again beautiful car!
A person HAS TO BE BLIND not to appreciate that "NEW" Look that came out in 1971!

I think your uncle Gary most likely realizes passing the Charger onto you will ensure it is well taken care of. Good luck with your very fine ride, Al

Oh and by the way welcome from Minnesota.

Cool car and story if you need any help ask away there's tons of guys on here that works on these style charger I know them prity good .good luck

Great story and I am sure you will make your uncle Gary proud.

My first car was a 1973 Plymouth Road Runner that was my daily driver through high school and college. I met my wife through that car, etc. etc. I restored the car in 1992 and when my son turned 16 in 2010 I gave it to him as his first car. He loves it.

You have a somewhat similar type story - I love it! Best of luck with it.

Finally, thank you for your service!

I actually originaly joined this board to help find answers for my uncle about this car but it hasn't gotten far and ive been wrapped up in my '70 Dart project for around 6 years, so I have a lot more time spent on FABO. I'm sure i'll catch up on here soon enough

Great car, Welcome

nice story, nice Charger

welcome to the Darkside...LOL {I mean welcome to FBBO}

Auto Transport Service
Back