• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AC pulley squealing - bad compressor?

d9103365

Local time
1:21 AM
Reaction score
on my 75 fury the AC pulley is making a loud noise...its even louder on acceleration...sounds almost like a grinding. I'm wondering if this means just the pulley needs to be replaced or the entire compressor? I just got the car but was told the AC hasn't worked in a while.

If the AC doesn't turn on, it shouldn't be the compressor. It most likely is a bad pulley bearing.

youll have to test it.most common prob is comp begins to seize and ruins clutch asmbly.pull the clutch and take a look at it.also,see if you can rotate comp by hand.

Bringing the ac back from the dead can be an expensive pain... look into classic auto air for around $1300 and save some money and time....

Hello:
I spent 30+ years in Engineering at GM (Harrison Radiator Div., We did the AC) If this is a 1975 system and it hasn't worked for a while I guarantee, you have other problems waiting to haunt you. Dried out seals, cracked hoses, and very possible a leaky evaporator, just to mention a few.
If the compressor has been operated with very low or no freon for extended periods, it is not getting lube. The oil is suspended in the freon for lube. And no lube will ruin it.
All of the above posts are good possibility's. If you are doing a 100 point factory car, well you know the drill. If not I'm with Sleepar. Go with a Classic System (R134A). Spend the extra 80 bucks and get the D.E.R., its well worth it.
I also understand Vintage has now released a "B" body kit.
Regards

I resurrected the AC in my 77 Cordoba with no problems...just replaced the evaporator valve, dryer, and one of the hoses. Converted it to 134 and it fired right up. Only cost me $80. I had the same experience with my 73 Satellite. $1300? No way. Just about everything my AC system needs is available at parts stores for a fraction of that cost....even the compressor.

By a/c pulley, do you mean the compressor clutch? If it's grinding or locking up, new compressor time. Unless it's way over charged with freon or the clutch is really bad. Like stated above, trying spinning the center part by hand, see if the compressor spins.

By a/c pulley, do you mean the compressor clutch? If it's grinding or locking up, new compressor time. Unless it's way over charged with freon or the clutch is really bad. Like stated above, trying spinning the center part by hand, see if the compressor spins.

The noise occurs even with the AC turned off. When I turn the AC on...the blower works and I can hear the "doors" moving in the dash...but I don't hear the AC clutch engage...but that's probably because its not suppose to engage if its out of freon.

- - - Updated - - -

If the AC doesn't turn on, it shouldn't be the compressor. It most likely is a bad pulley bearing.

Yeah, it happens with the AC turned off...and even when turned on, I don't hear the clutch engaging - which could be because its out of freon.

The a/c pulley is always spinning when the engine is running, so it's possible it's bad. The trick is to figure out if it went bad because the compressor froze up. So looking at that pulley, the center part is connected to the compressor and should spin freely by hand. It'd take the belts off and spin the pulley by hand, see if it sounds like a box of rocks. Than the next step is powering up the clutch, see if that works.

My clutch locked up and the system wasn't charged or hooked up electrically yet. I had to have it towed home. I pulled the compressor apart, it destroyed the connecting rods. I pulled the pistons,rods(weren't even connected to the crank anymore) pulled the crank out, cleaned everything greased the bearing and filled it with oil to slash lube. I'm telling you this so it doesn't happen to you.

Auto Transport Service
Back