• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AC to Non- AC Belt Orientation?

Isaiah Estrada

Local time
2:02 AM
Reaction score
Originally, my 440 was set up for AC.

1661788512413.png

Poor old girl hasn't fired since 1980 or so...

1661788574020.png

After setting it up after the rebuild is where I realized that just doing away with the factory AC isn't so easy...

1661788703260.png

I won't lie, comparatively I'm a newb when it comes to this stuff. I'm 21 and this is my first old car and DEFINITELY the first motor I've "put together." What made the MOST sense to me was to switch to a Non-AC alternator bracket setup, and seek out the Non-AC water pump pulley and 2 groove crank. Thankfully I found both and have them coming my way real soon! The 2 groove crank has the right offset for me to be able to use my TRW steering pump still.

Is there any other way to do an AC delete without changing every pulley? I know in some HP applications, people will run the smaller AC water pump pulley for more efficient cooling, but I am confused at how they would ever get that pulley to line up? Would love to see some pics of belt setups where people have also done an AC delete. I would love to retrofit my AC system in the future with a modern Sanden compressor, but it's out of my budget at the moment and I really want to get this car back on the road.

I am already committed to changing out my brackets and pulleys to make this work (wasn't cheap at all) - BUT, for future reference and just out of curiosity, I would really like to know if there's a "less" complicated way of performing this swap.

Ma Mopar was fantastic about making the belts and pulleys different in every year and model engine it seems like.
There is an A/C delete pulley but it has its own special bracket and it still is a double belt pulley. I am currently looking for one for my 76 400 engine in my power wagon and have not had any luck. I have seen other threads where members have fabricated their own brackets.

You will find out that all the pulleys will be needed along with some mounting items.

440 source has pulleys and brackets for non ac for bb alt and power steering. Alternator bracket is real simple. May have to change power steering pump for their bracket though.

Auto Transport Service
Back