• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Accelerator pump leak down

pedal2themetal

Local time
3:18 AM
Reaction score
What is it with the Holley carbs with the accelerator pump leaking down?
I got a new 450 quick fuel carb and when ever it sits for a little while 30 mins or so .. when I get back in it fires right up fine but when I go to take off it well stall out (no accelerator pump shot) if I rap it a few times before taking off its fine.
Is there a fix for this it gets embarrassing when you go to leave a stop and it falls on its face and dies..

thanks take care be safe
tim

You got something gumming it up or a feed problem at the check ball. That's not a known problem. If you got to rap it something is stuck for some reason. Send it back or take it apart and see whats there. Way back I had a 750 hp that would act up. Old varnished leaded gas. Cleaned the fuel system end of problem.

Last edited:
But seriously. You probably have something blocking something, take it apart, spray everything out with brake cleaner…..and if that doesn’t help then edelbrock/Carter

So it's a Quick Fuel carb, call them and ask what the problem might be. Sounds like either the check ball in the pump cover is not working properly or the check needle under the shooter is sticking.

HI it works fine after that first start up each time if I wined it up a couple of times (the first time) .. I watch a couple of video (one a Holley ) saying to check the adjustments and go up 2 nozzle sizes if car is heavy.. yeah its a boat.. I pulled the nozzle out and its the smallest .25 .. So I'm thinking of ordering a .31 but crap Summit wants 10.99 but they want 11.oo in shipping... or order 88 $ more stuff I don't need anymore stuff yet for my BB Job..

Thanks take care be safe
tim

HI it works fine after that first start up each time if I wined it up a couple of times (the first time) .. I watch a couple of video (one a Holley ) saying to check the adjustments and go up 2 nozzle sizes if car is heavy.. yeah its a boat.. I pulled the nozzle out and its the smallest .25 .. So I'm thinking of ordering a .31 but crap Summit wants 10.99 but they want 11.oo in shipping... or order 88 $ more stuff I don't need anymore stuff yet for my BB Job..

Thanks take care be safe
tim
That is not your problem.

A quick fuel 450? Typo?

I agree with pnora, the shooter size is not the problem. Shooter size affects the response after the car is running, and getting it moving.

That is not your problem.
Then What is??
it works fine after that first start where I have to rev it a little just to work the accelerator pump or after is sits for like 30 mins. Carb is less than a year old run no leaded gas. Daily driver. Starts right up cold with one pump. but when I start driving it I have to work the throttle a little to (like ) re fill the Pump. then its fine unless it sits for like 30 mins??

thanks take care be safe
tim

I agree with pnora, the shooter size is not the problem. Shooter size affects the response after the car is running, and getting it moving.
Thats where I'm having the problem after its running it starts fine cold with one pump but after the car is running to get it moving I have to play with it a few times or it well stall out but after that its fine till I park it for like 30 mins..

thanks take care be safe
tim

Thats where I'm having the problem after its running it starts fine cold with one pump but after the car is running to get it moving I have to play with it a few times or it well stall out but after that its fine till I park it for like 30 mins..

thanks take care be safe
tim
Read above I told you where to look. If it was a nozzel size the problem would always be there. Having to beat on it tells me you are dislodging something. Simple logic here.

I don't have to beat on it just work it a couple of times (just as long as I work the pump it well clear up in a few wiggles. Just went out and with the nozzle out I moved the throttle very little (not wanting to pop the seat rod out) and the nozzle port filled up , but there was a little delay as it seamed it wasn't full but it was right away Maybe a bigger pump??

Thanks take care be safe
tim

Then What is??
it works fine after that first start where I have to rev it a little just to work the accelerator pump or after is sits for like 30 mins. Carb is less than a year old run no leaded gas. Daily driver. Starts right up cold with one pump. but when I start driving it I have to work the throttle a little to (like ) re fill the Pump. then its fine unless it sits for like 30 mins??

thanks take care be safe
tim
Look at post #5 for possibilities.

Ok just talked to Mike at Holley and He first suggested not enough fuel but I told him the bowls are always full per sight 1/2 glass then he suggested i go up on the nozzle size he suggested the 28.. I mentioned the video suggesting two sizes and he said I guess you could go to the 31.. But I don't want to flood it out ether so I guess I'll start with the 28..

Thanks take care be safe
tim

Ok just talked to Mike at Holley and He first suggested not enough fuel but I told him the bowls are always full per sight 1/2 glass then he suggested i go up on the nozzle size he suggested the 28.. I mentioned the video suggesting two sizes and he said I guess you could go to the 31.. But I don't want to flood it out ether so I guess I'll start with the 28..

Thanks take care be safe
tim
Just so you know, the pump itself, and the pump cam, change the  volume , not the squirter.

Ok from the top. Your first post says no shot and have to rap it to get fuel. But some how you have it in your head changing to a larger nozzle will fix the problem. I am sure if you told the tech guy at Holley what you said here he would have a different answer. No squirt is no squirt. I don't care if you have a fire hose.

Last edited:
HHHMMM I did tell him it starts FINE cold with one pump.. the problem is getting it moving (I did say no fuel shot is how it acts) but that was after its running I get the problem stalling out to move the car (I did say rap but actually I just have to wiggle (play with it) the throttle a couple times to clear it up and its fine with no stalling unless I park it for like 30 mins..
So what is your suggestion ?? the pump or the cam??

After you pass a lie detector test maybe we can talk. For now I have tossed in the towel.

Auto Transport Service
Back