• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Accident

nelsontoddpa

Local time
12:36 AM
Reaction score
Unfortunately, some guy ran a red light and schmucked my 67 Coronet convertible on Friday. Thankfully no injuries, but it's depressing as it previously was unmolested except for new seat covers and carpet. Absolutely no rust and the only body work was a repaint about 20 years ago.
I haven't heard from his insurance yet, but am trying to do some research in case I have to negotiate with them over the valuation of the car, so I'd like to ask for some help from here with 2 questions-- first are there any sites that provide a 'book value' for classic cars? Secondly, even if it is repaired, obviously, I lose value as it no longer is unmolested. Does anyone have any idea how an accident of this magnitude would diminish the resale if it was repaired?

Thanks so much in advance for all your help and commiseration.

Attachments

• 67 Coronet acciden June 2012.jpg
    67 Coronet acciden June 2012.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 1,120
OMG! Man that sucks!

I think the reall issue is the fact that there are no parts to fix these cars - you can't go out and buy a quarter panel for a 67!

I had to have my car evaluated before my insurance would cover me.

Sorry to see or hear about this, I think it really depends on your Ins. coverage, Do you have replacement value insurance coverage on the car ??, Do you have collision ??, Is it a Big Block A/C car w/lots of options or just a really nice base 273 car ??, the value varies vastly.... I would find a bunch of cars for sale on Internet sites & print them out ,so you can show them to your insurance adjuster, you don't have to settle with them until you feel the settlement is fair, you can have multiple assessments or bids to fix your car & your choice who , what shop you want to fix it, or get the cash & fix it yourself, you probably won't get as much if you don't do the research on value, I would shoot for the moon, looks like a nice car, they will try to talk you down, of course... Door & Quarter, inner rear fender, front fender, cowl & floor for sure ?, fuel tank ?, Unibody structure/frame Bent ?, any engine &/or transmission damage ?, electronics ?, rear axle ?, rims &/or tires ?, any front &/or rear suspension parts ?, trim ?, interior damage ? body & paint work, something for your inconvienance & time... I went to www.autabuy.com searched 1967 Dodge Coronet convertible, found 4 from $16,000 to $39,995.00 , I'm sure there are more sites you can search & get a quite few more...

Sorry for the accident... Here's little info I hope it's helpful...Agreed Value, Actual Cash Value and Stated Value. Collector car covered under an Actual Cash Value policy.. If it was considered a total loss, claims underwriters would depreciate the value of their vehicle due to its age, mileage, condition, etc., and the final reimbursement could be far less than the vehicle’s real worth...
Agreed Value policy, the full Amount $ would be reimbursed to them as agreed upon at the policy’s inception..(Amount you stated). Agreed Value will reimburse enough for a numbers-matching date-stamped factory parts,which is an important aspect of replacement parts for collector vehicles to maintain their collector value....REpairs can not exceed the Stated Value... The rest would be out of pocket... You would have to take the individual to federal court for a civil action to recover the amount lost....
Take photo's to document your vehicle. Use the before & after..If you experience legal issues with your insurance company. Don't loss the salvage rights to the vehicle...Your question...negotiate with them over the valuation of the car.You should go thru your insurance company first.. They should use subrogation.The company tries to recoup expenses for a claim it paid out when another cause the accident....

Good Luck

theres an insurance underwriter on this site, hopefully he can help you. agreed value like pops says would be the way to go if you have that.....for example...i have HAGERTY ins. on my 70 road runner. if this happened to it,,,i would get agreed value reimbursed to me ( i have it listed at 28 thou )...so they would pay me 28 thou should i insist on a total loss.

i am sooooo sorry this happened to you..luckily youre ok...BUT I WOULD BE SICK ANDDDDDDDD PISSED OFF LIKE YOU WOULDNT BELEIVEEEEEEEEEEE .

DAMN!!!
Reminds me of my 66 Coronet 500 2-dr hardtop with 383 I bought new in the good ol' days.
Go to www.nadaguides.com. Click on Classics and go from there.
My 73 Road Runner was hit from behind and the other guy's insurance co. used this site to justify the cost to repair mine. Luckily the local Chrysler body shop mgr went to bat for me and got the ins co. to belly up to the bar for the repair bill. Maybe you can find a local Chrysler guy like that to help you.
Good luck, man!
--Luther

Hopefully this will be easy for you to get fixed. In the event it is not, here is one to put in your hip pocket: Three words no insurance adjuster cares to hear: State Insurance Commisioner.

Gather `round Chidren'.

Years ago I had a very clean #s matching `70 Duster 340...two year old paint and complete interior replaced. The car was insured at a 'stated value'. Got into a fender bender in HI (no-fault state). They wanted to total it! I had it brought to the house while we haggled. Further damage had been caused to the car at the impound yard (That's why they wanted to total the car)...we went back and forth several times.

I contacted a lawyer. He kindly told me it would not be worth the cost to pursue the matter in court, but gave me a nice tidbit of info. A policy holder can contact their respective State's Insurance Commisioner and request to have their claim investigated if they feel they are not getting a fair settlement. It doesn't cost you anything as that is their job to investigate insurance claims.

In my case it seemed to have worked because our last conversation ended with me stating I would not accept their offer and would be contacting the State Insurance Commissioner to investigate my claim...that if they agreed with the settlement offer then I would have no choice but to take it. BUT(!) if they didn't agree, well then maybe I would be getting my car fixed. The insurance company called back an hour-and-a-half later wanting to know what repair shop to send the check to.

Insurance companies don't like the State 'snooping around' any more than they already do.

Again, I hope you are able to get this resolved quicker than I did...but that was many years ago and collector cars are worth much more now than back in `86!

Keep us posted...

Last edited:
Sorry to see that some F***ing bonehead creamed your beautiful Coronet. Glad that you weren't injured. Sometimes it feels like the bad drivers are aiming for your car when you are driving a classic. No matter how careful you are, you know they are out there. :sad7:

Oh man....I hope you the best in that deal!

Sorry to see that some F***ing bonehead creamed your beautiful Coronet. Glad that you weren't injured. Sometimes it feels like the bad drivers are aiming for your car when you are driving a classic. No matter how careful you are, you know they are out there. :sad7:
So true! Never wrecked any of mine but had to deal with boneheads before. One of them ended up on the wrong end of a .357 one night too. Funny how people have a complete change of attitude when looking at the business end of a gun. This jerk just had to put his front bumper up against my 70 Challenger's rear bumper doing 60 mph down the freeway at 2am!! You're damn right I pulled it out and showed it to him and good for him that he did a full brake test because he was about to get it along with my back window! It amazes me that people do this kind of crap!

Dude.....I think I'd be looking 20 to life for murder if that happened to me:angryfire:

I am sick for your loss, hopefully you can find someone with the skills to put this back right again.

OUCH! thats a shame,especially the angle you were hit. Its probably a lot worse than it looks to. I know you took a lot of pride that it was unmolested before. But look at some before & after pics from some of these members projects on this site for some incouragement. Thats what I do when Im at a slow point in restoring mine. May make you feel a little better. Good luck.

That just plain is sick.. Im sorry to hear of it and i sure hope the cops that was there, are classic antique car guys!!!!!

That just plain is sick.. Im sorry to hear of it and i sure hope the cops that was there, are classic antique car guys!!!!!

Actually the cop had restored a 1970 Chevy and really liked my car.
AND at least the guy who hit me admitted he ran the red and actually had insurance. I meet with his adjuster tomorrow at the body shop, so we will she what she says. I hope she appreciates classic autos and the shape it was in....

"She"..oh,oh.....:confused5:

Pullin for you bud! I hope your right and she is... Now the memory of it will have you thinking about this for a long time when you get it back and drive.. keep us posted. With insurance and him confessing to it, It should get you back driving with a new paint job to boot, im sure that don't help much but its a plus anyway...

So sorry about that. I wish you the very best at getting a settlement that is acceptable. Please let us know how you make out.

Auto Transport Service
Back