• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

QUESTION REGARDING ON OF MY CARS

72redbird

Local time
1:36 AM
Reaction score
Looking for advice, opinions, thoughts concerning one of my cars. This website has helped me a ton in the past with various things, hoping for the same this time. OK, I own the old Hot Rod Magazine Project Super Stock 72 Road Runner. I have noticed lately the price of the parts that are on this car are escalating up in value (like everything else these days). What my concern with this car is, is if I should be involved in an accident on the track with the car. They are not repoping air grabber hoods, 72 grills, front fenders (these and the doors were acid dipped). Besides the paint job and motor this car is pretty much the way they built it. I've owned the car since 89, and just this year have even started to worry about it. Not sure if I'm just being paranoid (cause I'm getting older) or what. There is no way to insure a race car (that I know of) of an accident on the track. Not sure if I should keep running it or just not worry about it. I know odds are slim, that anything would happen, but it is racing. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions. 15183973411401340660396.jpgrace car.jpg

Call NCM Insurance in KY. I think they might be able to help you. They do track day insurance and deal with a lot of vintage stuff that may not be registered.

I think Hagerty has on track insurance options

You're just getting paranoid. Nothing's happened for 34 years, no reason to think it will now.
Like you say, you are getting older. Keep enjoying the car while you can and to hell with worrying!

Gee whiz, I have been subscribing to Hot Rod since I was 13 and don't remember this car. I must be losing it.

Anyway, they are actually making some of those parts, and stuff can still be found used. Carry on and enjoy yourself. When I turned my 72 Charger into a race car, I wrote it off in my mind and will consider it a bonus if it survives. That sure took away the worry.

Whatever gives a man piece of mind, as John Wayne said… A mans got to do what a man’s got to do

Nice hot rod by the way, over thirty years owned, very nice.

I tend to be a more wary sort, and dang my Dakota I spent 4 months restoing and several grand two years ago got rear-ended a few weeks ago. All that work and parts hunting went ta **** in 10 seconds. My ’63 was a couple year resto and 30+ grand. So yeah, I hope it won’t be crunched. I try to calculate the risks when having ‘fun’.

I’d say check into finding the special replacement parts for your unique ride. Available or one-offs…sort of a ‘what if’ scenario. Just MO, I’d be a little more comfy knowing replacements could be had. Insurance might be a bite, but I’d likely give it serious thought.

Auto Transport Service
Back