• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Accidental E-Bay purchase

Engine recommendation

• Total voters
But at what cost? Can the end be justify. For some of us the pocket book counts. Yes you will save a few dollars after done. But 10 to 12 K still buys more than a few gallons of fuel. The 2800-2900 also put the teen about where it was designed to be. If anything put a 500 behind it but I wouldn't count on getting better fuel mileage.
The OP asked a question. Most of us gave our opinion. Apparently if he's looking at even an old Hemi or fuel injection etc... he can afford it. "If" you can afford it, it makes sense to do at least an overdrive. Less rpm = less wear on engine which means more longevity.

I know everyone’s gonna get bothered but did anyone notice it’s a four door ?

i mean no matter how good the price was would any upgrade really be a win ?
5000-10k hemi swap on a four door ?
Hell Yes!!! Over 5k in 496 stroker w fuel injection and GV o/d. Some people don't worry about resale, just want to "Drive" our cars and enjoy them regularly.
20210911_125539.jpg
20200105_140227.jpg

That's quite the sleeper.

Whoa What serpentine is that ?
SD Concepts. Very reasonable price. You source the p/s, a/c and alternator from mid 90's Dodge Durango/Dakota/Ram and the tensioner from GM 6.5 diesel. All a accessories from Rock Auto. Only issue is it sits very close to radiator so either a reverse rotation GM 11 blade fan w custom spacer or e-fans. I could never get e-fans to cool at interstate speeds. 3 different fan/shroud combos. My direct drive fan w factory shroud cools amazingly well though. Lots of garage engineering to get it to work for me.

The OP asked a question. Most of us gave our opinion. Apparently if he's looking at even an old Hemi or fuel injection etc... he can afford it. "If" you can afford it, it makes sense to do at least an overdrive. Less rpm = less wear on engine which means more longevity.
Yes I have an od unit sitting waiting on me to go threw it. But it's going in the truck that presently does 60@3400.
Have a 500 unit I would give away if someone wants to cover freight. Still works but could use some refreshing.

Super cool car...Congrats!

Maybe just a semi-gloss clear coat to protect the patina? And for the motor and divetrain I like the concept of the newer Hemi/BB but that has a significant cost to it and in the long run would it be cost effective?

I like the idea of just upgrading the 318...maybe just a 4bbl manifold, newer grind cam, HP manifolds or perhaps a cloned 340 in the engine compartment from a carb'd 360 magnum with high flow 340 manifolds and dual exhaust, and perhaps a A518/A500 OD, with a 8 3/4 rear with 3.23's

Oh my I didn't expect a welcome party like this!!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Lots to think about. I'll give a little more context into the project.

I recently (3 years ago) swapped a 5.9 Magnum into my International Scout and mated it to a 727. I love it! it starts up every time, runs smooth, doesn't cut out at angles and is just much more pleasant to drive. I don't plan to ever sell it so the transplant was just for me. I've been daily driving it for the past 3 years or so. The improvements I wish I would have done:

1. OD, a 4.11 geared Scout is awesome, just not at hwy speeds. I like the gearing options mentioned above. Currently the Coronet will do ~75, I don't have a tac yet so not sure how fast we are spinning ... but I'd like it slower.

2. I want more power! The Magnum I used was machined and cleaned up but stock intake/headers/cam/FI system. That's why a Hemi. I imagine I can double my torque and HP while having a very street friendly engine....I plan on daily driving it.

So for the Coronet a few things:
1. I'm going to drive it, like a lot. I'd like to be able to drive it 9 hours or so to visit friends & family.
2. I like the existing 318, it got 14-19 mpg on the road trip home!! I couldn't believe it. Lets be honest, my fascination with a gen 3 Hemi has nothing to do with MPG!!
3. I have a 6.1 Hemi .... well my dad has a 6.1 Hemi long block he'd donate. I'd still need to dress and accessorize it.
4. I have an old 360 in the corner I could rebuild/beef up (probably much cheaper than a Hemi) and mate to the existing trans
5. I'd like to be able to move on from the car at some point so I think it needs to be somewhat appealing...As much as a 4 door can!! hahaha
6. I actually love the 4 door, it handles my family much better than a 2 door.

I'll create another post for this car... is a "garage" the appropriate place to do so?

Here is a picture of it at work today!

PXL_20220427_225030541.jpg

Fitech. But due to the size of the company and customer support, I'd go w Holley now. Fitech was the only throttle body self learn FI when I bought mine.

Auto Transport Service
Back