• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adapting Stock 440 Intake to Holley Carb 4150

Chadiator

Local time
1:54 PM
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m trying to mount a Holley 4160 onto a stocker 440 intake, but the carb has a wider stud pattern than the intake.

I grabbed a carb adapter (Mr Gasket # 1932) which fits both bolt patterns, but the problem is, it seems to be designed to fit only one way: wider intake bolt pattern and narrow carb.

All carb adapters I seem to find fall into the same issue. The way the adapter is setup to take the bolts is flipped because they can’t counter sink if I use it the way it sits on there now.

Has anyone else run into this/what am I missing?

Thanks in advance!!

IMG_7699.jpeg

IMG_7698.jpeg

IMG_7696.jpeg

That intake is a poor design. Get a different stock one from 1970 or newer and the carb will fit without any adapter. Or get an aftermarket aluminum.

That intake is a poor design. Get a different stock one from 1970 or newer and the carb will fit without any adapter. Or get an aftermarket aluminum.
My first thought as well. Must be a 66 and down. The 178 manifold would work decent too.
Will need some clearancing for the accel pump and vacuum pod linkage.

That is a 62-65 413 manifold. It is a poor choice for what the poster is trying to do. It going to flow poorly and the way that intake opening is the turbulence will be like hitting a brick wall. Find the right manifold.

Yup find a newer manifold from a thermoquad equipped car.

Thanks all for the quick feedback! You’re right that it is a 66.

Sounds like I need to hunt for a manifold and that I’m not going to be able to make an adapter work. I wish I hadn’t spent all that time sand blasting and prepping my current one, but ya live and learn, haha.

I was trying to keep my rebuild as stock as I could with what I have, but found this 4150 on Marketplace for $150 so I jumped on it. Seems like my good deal on a carb may have just cost me a lot more in an intake than expected

An edelbrock AFB type carb should bolt on, they have the two bolt patterns, but going to a newer intake will be better in the long run.

Would this be a straight swap in? Edelbrock 2191

This seems like my cheapest aftermarket option (based in Canada). Says it fits 66 onward RB 440’s. My car is a 66, and I want to believe the engines original.

Edelbrock 2191 Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifolds | Summit Racing

Forgive me for being naive (first time rebuilding a 440/mopar), but what are these extra ports for that don’t seem to exist on a lot of the other intakes?

IMG_7703.jpeg

Would this be a straight swap in? Edelbrock 2191

This seems like my cheapest aftermarket option (based in Canada). Says it fits 66 onward RB 440’s. My car is a 66, and I want to believe the engines original.

Edelbrock 2191 Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifolds | Summit Racing

Forgive me for being naive (first time rebuilding a 440/mopar), but what are these extra ports for that don’t seem to exist on a lot of the other intakes?

View attachment 1652126
Those are for an EGR valve. You will not be needing that and will plug them off.

Hey all, found an old one locally I might grab. Looks like a 70’s manifold so it sounds like it’ll work for the Holley carb.

Can anyone confirm?

IMG_7711.jpeg

IMG_7712.jpeg

2951736 is a 1970 440 intake. A holley will bolt on, but you might need a thick gasket for accelerator pump clearance, and a throttle arm adapter for mopar linkage.

2951736 is a 1970 440 intake. A holley will bolt on, but you might need a thick gasket for accelerator pump clearance, and a throttle arm adapter for mopar linkage.
That’s great - I’ll probably grab it then. Thanks for the note.

This is my block stamp, which I was assuming was original to the car (1966), but now the H is leading me to think it’s a 1972. Learning lots about Mopars through this rebuild!

IMG_7713.jpeg

It is a 66 model year. It could be the 365 horsepower version, with dual exhaust. The engine code would be 82 on the fender tag

Auto Transport Service
Back