• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Add headrests to a 68 Charger?

Max Wedge 413

Local time
7:33 PM
Reaction score
Folks:

I am looking at adding factory headrests to my 68 Charger. It doesn't have them from the factory.

Does anyone know if the back frames all have the provisions/brackets for the headrests? Just need to know if I need to get another set of seat back frames to do it.

Thanks, all

Totally your decision but just adding my 2 cents. My 69 charger has headrests but my head actually never touches it unless I purposely extend my neck back to do so. They may (and that’s a big maybe) prevent whiplash but if you ever cracked your head back on one of those headrests you’d be brain damaged anyway. Plus, when you fold the seats forward they just hit the steering wheel and dash. You already just have a lap belt, no airbags, no crumple zone, etc. Do you really need headrests?

Totally your decision but just adding my 2 cents. My 69 charger has headrests but my head actually never touches it unless I purposely extend my neck back to do so. They may (and that’s a big maybe) prevent whiplash but if you ever cracked your head back on one of those headrests you’d be brain damaged anyway. Plus, when you fold the seats forward they just hit the steering wheel and dash. You already just have a lap belt, no airbags, no crumple zone, etc. Do you really need headrests?
The basic headrest design survived on Mopars thru 1989, so I think it is worth something.
I used to do FMVSS crash testing for Detroit when I worked in auto engineering, so that's maybe a little more than just a guess. Everything is relative, I agree.

Last edited:
69's had headrests I believe, 68's didn't, but they may have been an option. I know they were optional on the 67's.

The 68's have the provisions in the frames for them in my case I had a donor set of seats out of a C body and robed the plastic mounting inserts and chrome bezel and they screwed right into my seat frames.

My 68 Charger didn't have the head rests or the shoulder belts but the mounting points were all there.

Thanks all. They were an option in 68 IIRC. I'll just have to pull the backs off mine to see if the provisions are there.

Just wanted to know if someone had been there, done that.

Now, if you could just fit them with a seat back recliner from and Omni or similar....

You will find your seat backs will have all the necessary holes, but not the hardware. In the attached pictures you can see the upper guide that screws to the top of the seat back, two plastic guides the headrest rods slide into, and a clip that holds the headrests up. You will need all of these parts plus the chrome outside bezels.

20210829_104535.jpg

20210829_104502.jpg

All the 68 frames I've seen have had the holes already punched. Just have to buy the headrest mounting kit.

You will find your seat backs will have all the necessary holes, but not the hardware. In the attached pictures you can see the upper guide that screws to the top of the seat back, two plastic guides the headrest rods slide into, and a clip that holds the headrests up. You will need all of these parts plus the chrome outside bezels.

View attachment 1312766

View attachment 1312767
Fantastic - thanks!

Auto Transport Service
Back