• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adding a 220V circuit into a building for air compressor and car lift.

I got really involved with learning this when I was planning to wire my shop. If you really want to be bored, purchase the NEC and read through all the codes lol
When I was younger dad was a building inspector, and I was a kid who liked to read.... I read the UBC, NEC & UPC plus countless training manuals from cover to cover... Most has been forgotten but there are still useful nuggets floating around...

B87CBFB0-E189-4DF8-8E9E-486CA4EF129E.jpeg

This pic has been posted before but if you notice the seasoned pros of Local3 will wrap the wire the correct way. So when tightening the screw, it’ll pull the wire around tighter.
Unfortunately I’ve seen this on Fire Alarm Fuse Cut Outs.

@Chargerjase
Post #23 for the win!
Just do it twice, once for the lift and once for the compressor. No difference if occurring in the existing house panel or a sub panel fed from the (existing) house panel.

my shop is a 200 foot run..... I obviously hired an electrician for that

he came out of the meter and bypassed the house panel all together, so no upgrade was needed there...... 100 to the house, 150 to the shop

IMG_20231111_104210699.jpg

Last edited:
my shop is a 200 foot run..... I obviously hired an electrician for that
Not to beat a dead horse but the length of the run is something to consider. Voltage drop due to the increased resistance in long conductors (ohms law) is a real thing compensated for by increasing the size of the wire. I think it comes into play at about 150 feet and then every additional 150 feet? Not an issue for me here in Nassau Cty on my postage stamp sized lot but for you guys with space it may become a consideration.
A qualified electrician will set you on the right path.

Wow, that sounds pretty Micky Mouse to me! You'll hire a electrician and get it done right and to code or you won't do it at all. You will never regret doing it once and doing it right.
Mickey Mouse?
Why is that? I did that with the 220V circuits in my existing shop. I ran the Romex and installed the receptacles at the ends where the compressor and car lift are. It met local code and passed inspection because the Romex was stapled to the framing properly and looked right.
I didn't get to know any electricians during my career. The way my work was, I did my thing and was out of the house/school/building before the electricians showed up. The best that I could do was to see their work after the fact if/when I was doing remodel work.

Hey, Greg. When you get your new place PM me with the conditions and I will walk you through it. It’s not rocket surgery, but too much confusion here.

Mickey Mouse?
Why is that? I did that with the 220V circuits in my existing shop. I ran the Romex and installed the receptacles at the ends where the compressor and car lift are. It met local code and passed inspection because the Romex was stapled to the framing properly and looked right.
I didn't get to know any electricians during my career. The way my work was, I did my thing and was out of the house/school/building before the electricians showed up. The best that I could do was to see their work after the fact if/when I was doing remodel work.
Sorry Greg. I misread your post. It sounded like you were just going to throw the wires over the rafters etc. It just didn't sound good until I read it over again.

My shop is about 150’ from the house.
I opted to run a separate feed to the shop from the pole at the street as opposed to running a sub panel fed from the house.
The house has a 150A service.
The shop now has its own 200A service with a separate meter.
I wired (2) separate 30A, 220V outlets. (1) for the lift and the other for the compressor.

My shop is about 150’ from the house.
I opted to run a separate feed to the shop from the pole at the street as opposed to running a sub panel fed from the house.
The house has a 150A service.
The shop now has its own 200A service with a separate meter.
I wired (2) separate 30A, 220V outlets. (1) for the lift and the other for the compressor.
How much do you pay monthly for the second meter?

How much do you pay monthly for the second meter?
There’s a standard monthly charge for the separate meter.
Around $15-$20/month IIRC.
Cost of electric usage is above and beyond that.
I have (18) LED shop lights which are the majority of power consumption when I’m working in there.
Realistically I spend about 6-8 hours week in there on average.
My bill is less than $30/month.

There’s a standard monthly charge for the separate meter.
Around $15-$20/month IIRC.
Cost of electric usage is above and beyond that.
I have (18) LED shop lights which are the majority of power consumption when I’m working in there.
Realistically I spend about 6-8 hours week in there on average.
My bill is less than $30/month.
That's not bad. Our second meter is $20 and so far with the mini split, lights, power tools and the well pump we are around $30-$35 per bill. And we share the well pump.

Auto Transport Service
Back