• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

adding a sway bar

mopar jack

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
Restoring a 71 road runner and decided to upgrade the K member with a skid plate. The K member is powder coated sitting on a cart with motor and suspension assembled to it. So I ordered a 1 1/8 sway bar from firm feel and it won't slide through with the skid plate there. I had no problem installing this bar on my barracuda without a plate. Don't want to cut the plate off if there is an option.

Last edited:
A factory sway bar will fit with or with-out skid plate... You do have to change the lower control arms so they have the tabs on them or weld the tabs to the ones with-out..

My road runner had the factory sway bar setup. I am the second owner of this car for almost 30 years. It's a 383 4speed with air grabber. I decided to pull the original motor store it and replace with a mild 440 and a hemi oil pan. So I added the skid plate to protect the pan. Now the bar won't slide through the K member.

My road runner had the factory sway bar setup. I am the second owner of this car for almost 30 years. It's a 383 4speed with air grabber. I decided to pull the original motor store it and replace with a mild 440 and a hemi oil pan. So I added the skid plate to protect the pan. Now the bar won't slide through the K member.
Then the aftermarket bar is the problem or the aftermarket skid plate.. Does the factory bar still slide through?
OIP.jpg

I dug the original sway bar out of storage and checked the fit to the K frame with the skid plate and was able to install it through the frame and I could tell it was tight. I think the new bar is just too large for the opening so I will have to do some cutting on the plate to sneak it through. Gotta love adding upgrades that everyone recommends but you never hear of the mods required to make them fit.

20201220_145526.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back