• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adding chrome exhaust tips to 1968 Dodge Coronet

Steven Fogel

Local time
8:25 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I got the 2.5 inch chrome exhaust tips for my 68 Coronet 500. Looks like I'll have to cut off about 2-3 inches of the stock exhaust pipe to get the tips level, because the last 2-3 inches of the stock pipe is curved down. Any tips on exactly how much of the stock pipe to cut off so I don't screw it up? It has the standard U-bolt on the straight part of the pipe. Thx !

It really depends how much of the tips you want exposed. Some stick them out past the bumper to keep the bumper clean. Not my choice but each to his own. Line them up, mark them, cut the pipe and clamp them down. I would suggest a stainless band clamp. They are less damaging and easily adjustable.

Last edited:
You likely have a california car that had turn down tailpipes. Tips were illegal from the factory in cal at the time. Noise/emissions regulation.
Measure twice, cut once.

Tail pipes on a car with tips , the last few inches of the pipe are expanded to allow the tip to slide into the pipe

Turndown pipes do not have this

Tail pipes on a car with tips , the last few inches of the pipe are expanded to allow the tip to slide into the pipe

Turndown pipes do not have this
Yes, looks like the turndown part of the stock pipe is 3" long, however I'll have to cut off an additional 3" of straight pipe, because the barrel of the chrome tip is 9 1/2" long. There's no flange on the stock pipe that is turned down, it is uniformly 2 1/4" diameter to the tip. Chrome tips are 2 1/2 in diameter, so you have 1/8" of play on each side. The clamp will squeeze that tight easily. I agree it looks a little better when the tips line up with the bumper rather than protrude beyond it, but then you get "dirty bumper" when running a rich mixture upfront. Also, don't forget to line up the "L" bracket on the chrome tip with the vertical bracket to the frame as well. I got the stainless brackets you recommended, looks like they fit perfectly ! Now, where the heck is my Sawzall?

it is uniformly 2 1/4" diameter to the tip. Chrome tips are 2 1/2 in diameter, so you have 1/8" of play

If I'm reading this correctly you are planning on putting the chrome tip over the exhaust pipe? The tip is supposed to slide into the pipe which should be expanded up to accept the tip.

Auto Transport Service
Back