• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adding PCV to cast covers

ckessel

Local time
10:58 PM
Reaction score
On the 67 wagon I purchased, the PO put cast covers on but used twist in breather caps which are good for creating oil leaks. So using what I learned many years ago from the speed shop I worked at, I knew that the oil fill/PCV cap for mid to late 60's Ford applications works there. The vast majority of twist in caps don't have enough space between the locking tang and the gasket flange which makes it very easy to break the lock tang out when you twist them in. Add onto that, no PCV ability. The Ford cap, Stant number shown, fits cast covers with the twist in style cap. They provide two different id grommets with them, 1/2" and 3/4". On the valve side I used the 3/4" and a mid to late 70's Chevy valve with the 90* end. On the air intake side, I knocked the hole into the filter base, used the 1/2" grommet from the cap[ 1 with each cap, so I had two to use], trimmed 3 ribs off of each Dorman 90* heater fitting where they would go into the grommets. One 90 in the cap, other in the filter base. Had some 5/8" hose for that portion and 3/8" hose for the valve portion. Good to go now. Those caps used to be painted grey back in the day, now they are satin chrome. On the air in side cap, I removed the fiber filter media since the air goes into the cover and cut down on any restriction. The valve one I left alone so there is additional oil mist blocking. Another thing I did on both when they came in yesterday was to apply some engine RTV at the base flange where the main lid meets the base. Cut down the possibility of oil seeping from there down the road. In the pictures, 6&7, you can see that the lock tang is deformed.

IMG_4568.jpeg

IMG_4569.jpeg

IMG_4570.jpeg

IMG_4571.jpeg

IMG_4573.jpeg

IMG_4574.jpeg

IMG_4575.jpeg

IMG_4576.jpeg

IMG_4577.jpeg

IMG_4578.jpeg

You have suction on both sides, you need to remove suction from one side so it circulates effectively....all in all, MOST ingenious!!

Auto Transport Service
Back