• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adding Relays to the headlights on my 1970

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
I am going to add relays on my headlights to be kind to the power in the harness. I am wondering if anyone one of you guys have done this before?

I plan to pick off the old feed lines as control (high beam L3-16R and low beam L4-16V after the bulkhead) and use a simple relay with a dedicated fussed line to the battery.

How did you do yours?

When I do mine, I'm going to buy the harness kit from "Crackedback", a FBBO and FABO member.

When I do mine, I'm going to buy the harness kit from "Crackedback", a FBBO and FABO member.
KD You got a link to what he has or a diagram??

No, I don't. I figured when I am ready, I'll just search the screen name and find him that way.

I made my own, sourced all of the stuff online. It isn't all that hard. On my Cuda I used a Bussmann relay/fuse box 1503-4-0-4 but on my Challenger I just made a panel. There are diagrams online.

The crackedback kit is of the highest quality and works well. I mounted the relays to a small aluminum panel and mounted the panel under the battery tray. This kit is well worth the money.

I made my own, sourced all of the stuff online. It isn't all that hard. On my Cuda I used a Bussmann relay/fuse box 1503-4-0-4 but on my Challenger I just made a panel. There are diagrams online.
Where did you pick off power? Did you bypass the entire headlight harness and go directly to the headlights?

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/plug-and-play-headlight-relay-kits.216514/

Thanks for the recommendations. I try to build a solid product at a fair price.

Just say no to chinese relays... :)

Unless you've changed the OEM wiring system, it's not generally good to pick up power for items at the battery.
Hi Crackedback, looks like folks really like your set up! so does your set up connect to the bulkhead? And are the “road lamps” the side markers or the turn signals or front driving lamps?

Crackedback's are plug and play. Great guy too!
I put my own in but will have to look and see how I ran the wiring. I spliced mine into the headlight harness and think I pulled hot from the relay through a fusible link.
20170629_173921.jpg
20170629_173908.jpg

Crackedback's are plug and play. Great guy too!
I put my own in but will have to look and see how I ran the wiring. I spliced mine into the headlight harness and think I pulled hot from the relay through a fusible link.
View attachment 985756 View attachment 985757
You do great work threewood! Not just engines but electrical too! #jackofalltrades

There's tons of threads on here about this, very straight forward and easy to do if you understand relays and take any pride in your work. If you have to buy a kit to do this then......

Roadlamps are the foglights on E body cars. They are not part of a standard HL relay kit. The OEM harness runs the markers/turns on your car.

My kit is standalone from the OEM harness and does not touch the bulkhead. No cutting or splicing anywhere. The OEM low beam headlight plug is used to trigger relays. The only power flowing through the bulkhead for headlights is the minimal amount to trigger relays.

Send moparfiend the instructions.

Roadlamps are the foglights on E body cars. They are not part of a standard HL relay kit. The OEM harness runs the markers/turns on your car.

My kit is standalone from the OEM harness and does not touch the bulkhead. No cutting or splicing anywhere. The OEM low beam headlight plug is used to trigger relays. The only power flowing through the bulkhead for headlights is the minimal amount to trigger relays.
Thanks I get it Crackedback!

Another vote here for Crackedback's kit. Another nice thing about it is that there is no wire cutting. So you can just unplug it and take it out if you sell the car and want to use the harness in your next project.

Auto Transport Service
Back