• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlight relays on a car with concealed headlights

I thought I got some low beam pictures but I guess that I didn't. These pictures are of high beams.
The wattage is 55 low 60 high.

Holeeeee crap!

Hella 22.JPG

It is a little strange. On low beams, I don't even see a cut-off at the top. Compared to the Halogen sealed beams, it is just a brighter and even pattern all over. They even light up street signs hundreds of feet down the road.

That concentrated blob to the left side is a little weird. It appears to be from the outer lamp on the left side but only with all 4 lights going. If I aimed the outer left up higher, I wonder if my low beam "nice and even" pattern would change. I'll mess with it a little more.

Hella 24.JPG

Sorry for the blurry picture. It does show how well it lights up way down the road.
There aren't many deer out here but I was wondering if one would cross the road while I was bombing away. This 5 speed and the stereo had me speeding along and having a great time!

I don't usually wear gloves but the rumor is that oils from skin or anything can cause the bulbs to fail. It may be BS, who knows for sure.

Halogen lights, diff than the regular tugsteng lights, get a gas into the glass ( halogen of course ) who recirculate the burnt filament fumes into the bulb being recicled. This is what makes them to look brighter and longer life except for one detail, radiates more heat throught the glass. With the heat of the glass and the gas being recirculated, any oiled surface will make to increase the glass temperature just like a boling oil pan and will make the same to the filament with the gas also getting temp increased, hence the reason it blows.

It is a little strange. On low beams, I don't even see a cut-off at the top. Compared to the Halogen sealed beams, it is just a brighter and even pattern all over. They even light up street signs hundreds of feet down the road.

That concentrated blob to the left side is a little weird. It appears to be from the outer lamp on the left side but only with all 4 lights going. If I aimed the outer left up higher, I wonder if my low beam "nice and even" pattern would change. I'll mess with it a little more.

Low beams are low/high and the pattern changes along with the filament being used. High and low filaments are located at diff spot into the parabolic focus, so any small variation is made on purpouse. Lows and highs are not just about power/lumens, but also distance to be covered, so the filaments are located in diff position to reach this too via geometric location into the headlight.

Front lense makes the rest about radiation. Some small radiation beams are kept onto the close areas around. Not everything must be focused just into the long distance when using highs.

However is true there is something weird between left and right side focus over the road. And not just on lows but also noticeable on highs. Somehow they are not even.

H1 and H4 are the bulb kind to be used. This of course matches to the lense accordingly

Last edited:
I opt to run the 100/85W H4s, 100W H1s on my Hella E code installs.
How is the pattern? Are the low beams wide and even? Mine seem to be....with no sharp cutoff.
I had Hella H4s in my 76 Camaro. The cutoff was dramatic with those. Below the cutoff, you had enough light to do surgery, above, it was enough to see reflectors but otherwise dim.

I need a complete conversion harness setup for a 69’ Roadrunner Crackleback how do I get ahold of you to order?

How is the pattern? Are the low beams wide and even? Mine seem to be....with no sharp cutoff.
I had Hella H4s in my 76 Camaro. The cutoff was dramatic with those. Below the cutoff, you had enough light to do surgery, above, it was enough to see reflectors but otherwise dim.
Yep, on low beam, should have a sharp definition with a slight up angle to the right. May want to double check the pinout connection to the H4.

H4Plug.jpg

I had the left low/high lamp adjusted too low. That was why it showed a "blob" on the left side and not the right. Tonight I adjusted the low beams against the shop door.

Nice and those are providing very good light. Well done on that and good to read you got the lights adjusted better.

Surprising what providing voltage to the lights will do for performance.

Auto Transport Service
Back