• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on my 383 stroker

Yes, building that 383 back up sounds like a good idea. First decide what you want your final C/Ratio to be, and work from there. For example: If you are using 84 cc heads, .020 head gasket. .017 deck clearance, 3.38 stroke, flat top pistons will get you a C/Ratio of 9.6 to 1. 14 cc domes with 88 cc heads will get you 10.7. Use a C/Ratio calculator, plug in your known numbers, and juggle the other ones to get you where you want to be. You can use a larger chamber head and use the 14cc dome pistons, and still stay below 11 to 1. Or you can cut the domes off, use a smaller chamber head, and go below 10 to 1. The things you can change are: head gasket thickness, piston dome, and head chamber volume. Figure out your build on the computer first, then build the motor. You, (and your motor) will be a lot happier.

Guy wants to build a stroker and everybody has him hung up on a 383. First order of business is what do you want to do with the car? Cruise, drag strip, et goal, don't care?

Well the more I check things out The worse it gets. It's not a stroker after all just a 383 with forged crank and rods With big dome pistons. When I went to look at it It was obvious the OD of the counter weights had been turned down for some reason. I just assumed 440 crank turned down. I am pretty sure The guy I got it from did not have a clue what it was and I did not check the stroke. So now I don't have the parts I thought I had. My options are now put the 383 back together or use 383 parts to build the 400. I could still stroke the 400 Just more cost on top of what I already spent on parts that Won't be used.

The 383 build is the OP's idea... Stroking a 400 is an option, as is stroking the 383. I think that was mentioned earlier. Just need to verify the bores are round and straight with a dial bore gage, and have the block sonic tested.

The OP needs to decide what purpose is the vehicle intended for, street driving/cruising, drag, or a combination of both & how much to each. IMO a well built 383 will be plenty for street/cruising. For somehting more drag oriented more power is more fun. Bigger displacement & longer stroke are one way for that. Todays cranks & rods make a stroker 383 or 400 fairly easily done for a fairly reasonable cost. I'm not familiar with the '68 A body block using a milled off motor mount ear, but I can sure picture that. As I recall (could be wrong) the A body BB used a very different motor mount system, especially on the driver side. The 383 block may be worth $$$. I knew a guy that milled the dome off that style piston to decrease CR with good results, however I'd surely re-balance the combination, check the bores with the dial bore gauge & sonic check the block. I'd also mag check the crank & rods with new high quality rod bolts. I've "worn out" several forged 440 cranks in a high (7,000+ RPM) drag race application.

Guy wants to build a stroker and everybody has him hung up on a 383. First order of business is what do you want to do with the car? Cruise, drag strip, et goal, don't care?
Yes, determine first what your end use will be. A 383 is an acceptable starting point, since you already have a 383 block. A 400 block is a BETTER starting point. First, determine if that is an A Body only, rare 383 block. If so, sell it to the highest bidder and find a 400 block. After all, that's what you thought you were getting in the first place. And welcome to Mopar! You've come to the right place for help.

I think it is an A body only 383 block from the small amount of research I did. I took a picture of the front so the experts can take a look.
It has 2 7/16-14 tapped holes
On the driver side front.
What do these normally sell for? I already have a 400 motor
So if I could get some of my money back on the 383 that I was told was a 400 stroker
I can go back to my original plan.
Thanks for all the help.
I am spending all my free time
Reading and learning about the
Mopar world.

IMG_1688.JPG

I don't know what the 383 A Body Only blocks go for. Go to the For A Bodies Only website. They can determine if what you have is indeed a valuable block, what it's worth, and you can probably even sell it there. Those guys run small and big blocks in their A Bodies. You know, Dart, Duster, Valiant, Scamp, Demon, etc.

Again depending on what you want to do with it, a 400 block with a stroker crank will produce big power. Talk to an experienced Mopar engine builder (a BB Mopar is not the same as a small block Chevy) about the parts combination. Stroke, rod length. piston design, cylinder head all need to be figured in. You need to decide what gas you will run. Good luck.

Talk to an experienced Mopar engine builder (a BB Mopar is not the same as a small block Chevy) about the parts combination. Stroke, rod length. piston design, cylinder head all need to be figured in. You need to decide what gas you will run. Good luck.

Nope, they're more like a big block chevy!! Lmfao

Auto Transport Service
Back