Advice on my 383 stroker

Engine, Trans & Driveline

1. Garys1969RR

Garys1969RR Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:49 AM
    Yes, building that 383 back up sounds like a good idea. First decide what you want your final C/Ratio to be, and work from there. For example: If you are using 84 cc heads, .020 head gasket. .017 deck clearance, 3.38 stroke, flat top pistons will get you a C/Ratio of 9.6 to 1. 14 cc domes with 88 cc heads will get you 10.7. Use a C/Ratio calculator, plug in your known numbers, and juggle the other ones to get you where you want to be. You can use a larger chamber head and use the 14cc dome pistons, and still stay below 11 to 1. Or you can cut the domes off, use a smaller chamber head, and go below 10 to 1. The things you can change are: head gasket thickness, piston dome, and head chamber volume. Figure out your build on the computer first, then build the motor. You, (and your motor) will be a lot happier.

• Like Like x 1
    • 68 HEMI GTS

68 HEMI GTS Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      12:49 PM
      Guy wants to build a stroker and everybody has him hung up on a 383. First order of business is what do you want to do with the car? Cruise, drag strip, et goal, don't care?

• moper

moper Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      11:49 AM
      The 383 build is the OP's idea... Stroking a 400 is an option, as is stroking the 383. I think that was mentioned earlier. Just need to verify the bores are round and straight with a dial bore gage, and have the block sonic tested.

• 66Satellite47

66Satellite47 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      The OP needs to decide what purpose is the vehicle intended for, street driving/cruising, drag, or a combination of both & how much to each. IMO a well built 383 will be plenty for street/cruising. For somehting more drag oriented more power is more fun. Bigger displacement & longer stroke are one way for that. Todays cranks & rods make a stroker 383 or 400 fairly easily done for a fairly reasonable cost. I'm not familiar with the '68 A body block using a milled off motor mount ear, but I can sure picture that. As I recall (could be wrong) the A body BB used a very different motor mount system, especially on the driver side. The 383 block may be worth $$$. I knew a guy that milled the dome off that style piston to decrease CR with good results, however I'd surely re-balance the combination, check the bores with the dial bore gauge & sonic check the block. I'd also mag check the crank & rods with new high quality rod bolts. I've "worn out" several forged 440 cranks in a high (7,000+ RPM) drag race application.

• Garys1969RR

Local Time:
      Yes, determine first what your end use will be. A 383 is an acceptable starting point, since you already have a 383 block. A 400 block is a BETTER starting point. First, determine if that is an A Body only, rare 383 block. If so, sell it to the highest bidder and find a 400 block. After all, that's what you thought you were getting in the first place. And welcome to Mopar! You've come to the right place for help.

• Jim Liddle

Jim Liddle Member

Local Time:
      11:49 AM
      I think it is an A body only 383 block from the small amount of research I did. I took a picture of the front so the experts can take a look.
      It has 2 7/16-14 tapped holes
      On the driver side front.
      What do these normally sell for? I already have a 400 motor
      So if I could get some of my money back on the 383 that I was told was a 400 stroker
      I can go back to my original plan.
      Thanks for all the help.
      I am spending all my free time
      Reading and learning about the
      Mopar world.

IMG_1688.JPG

• 66Satellite47

Local Time:
      That sure looks like a valuable part.

• Garys1969RR

Local Time:
      I don't know what the 383 A Body Only blocks go for. Go to the For A Bodies Only website. They can determine if what you have is indeed a valuable block, what it's worth, and you can probably even sell it there. Those guys run small and big blocks in their A Bodies. You know, Dart, Duster, Valiant, Scamp, Demon, etc.

• 66Satellite47

Local Time:
      Again depending on what you want to do with it, a 400 block with a stroker crank will produce big power. Talk to an experienced Mopar engine builder (a BB Mopar is not the same as a small block Chevy) about the parts combination. Stroke, rod length. piston design, cylinder head all need to be figured in. You need to decide what gas you will run. Good luck.

• 68 HEMI GTS

68 HEMI GTS Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      12:49 PM
      Nope, they're more like a big block chevy!! Lmfao

• Agree Agree x 1
      1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.