• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on street car rear/ tire size

Ok thanks for the heads up, so your engines are making at least 440' style torque, if not more.
But they are defiantly making more torque then my stock 383.
Yes. 1 is at 545 ft. lbs. and the other is 605. I had 3.23's with 28" tires on a stock 383 and hated it anytime except highway driving. Put 3.91's in and got the zip in town, but revved pretty good on the highway. That's why strokers are so nice. Best of both worlds.

Currently, my car is taking a bit longer then I had thought it would, but that's how life goes sometimes.
So I definitely don't have the cash for a stroker kit for my 383 or 440.
Both are very good running engines, and will have to due for a bit.
I do daydream about a "B" engine 400, based 500CI stroker, and make it look like the stock 383.

I don't want to change to much on the #'s 383, but what would your thoughts be on the stock 69 383, with a set of 440 source heads, VS a 1973 steel crank 440 with the same heads and a cam swap?(both running headers, and same highway/cruising rear gear )
Would the hp of the 383, beat the torque of the low compression 440?
I am leaning in favor of the 383, the last low compression 440 I had, was a dog.
If I do decide to use the 440, I will most likely, run the 383 for a bit as I save up to toss a set of pistons in the 440, and rebuild it, but I figured I would ask just to get thoughts on running the low compression 440 vs the 383.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back