• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aftermarket air conditioning

Blewmenee

Local time
6:05 AM
Reaction score
Hello,was wondering anyone's thoughts on vintage , classic or any other kits. I have a 69 RR with factory air, dash box is complete and unmolested, debating trying to coax the old system back to life or bite the bullet on aftermarket. Any thoughts or experiences appreciated

Classic Auto Air Tampa Florida here. 69 Coronet non-ac car. Ice cold for 10 years. Control box has improved since my purchase. Friend has Vintage in his 'Cuda. It's good too.

As long as your system has been all hooked up, your going to have something to work with. If it's been sitting open to the air, then the evaporator, condenser as well as any aluminum in the system, will be corroded, and will ruin you compressor and expansion valve. You replace or restore these parts. If this is the case, they can be restored by a company that specialized in vintage AC components. Your talking big bucks here.

Good luck.

I like original but your choice has the system been open to the atmosphere ? if not you are fine replace the receiver dryer and expansion valve change your oil in the compressor to the modern pag oil you can use the 134a and you are good to go

I bought the compressor upgrade kit from Classic Auto Air and installed it in my Charger last Winter. It came with a new Sanden compressor & mounting brackets, new dryer, AC thermostat, expansion valve, AC hoses and misc hardware. I kept my original evaporator and condenser, but did blow some laquer thinner through them to clean them out. I like the system and it wasn't all that expensive.

Its also a nice clean installation and looks good, doesn't take up so much room like the original parts, but you still get to use your original controls.

I bought the compressor upgrade kit from Classic Auto Air and installed it in my Charger last Winter. It came with a new Sanden compressor & mounting brackets, new dryer, AC thermostat, expansion valve, AC hoses and misc hardware. I kept my original evaporator and condenser, but did blow some laquer thinner through them to clean them out. I like the system and it wasn't all that expensive.

Its also a nice clean installation and looks good, doesn't take up so much room like the original parts, but you still get to use your original controls.
Thanks for the reply, did you have much trouble with vacuum controls

Here are some pics of the one I just installed.

AC four.JPG AC one.JPG AC three.JPG AC two.JPG

Thanks for the reply, did you have much trouble with vacuum controls
I was missing one vacuum controller so I had to find one on Ebay. I also had to replace the vacuum line that runs out to the vacuum canister under the battery tray and the one that runs from the battery tray to the intake manifold. Other than that, the vacuum lines and control pods under the dash still worked okay. I also ended up buying a new push button controller because my old one was a little rough.

Nice job I like the fact that you still use the double belt set up with out much alteration

Just installed Vintage air, 30 degrees coming out of the dash. The aftermarket ones are a lot cleaner with less garbage under the hood and lighter.
20160424_021508.jpg
20160424_021508.jpg

I did one a couple years ago on my 69rr factory ac car, it was very easy & clean I got everything from classic air that was a upgrade kit with extras since most of my parts where missing & it sat open for years. I think I had about $1500 into the entire deal & that's with having my hcv restored.

DSCN1347.JPG DSCN1368.JPG DSCN1370.JPG

Very nice, is your heater valve vacuum actuated and is it a replacement?
The heater valve is controlled by a cable, but also has the vacuum pod (I'm not real clear on what the vacuum pod does). I sent the heater control valve to a guy in California for a rebuild. He did a real nice job for about $125.

I like original but your choice has the system been open to the atmosphere ? if not you are fine replace the receiver dryer and expansion valve change your oil in the compressor to the modern pag oil you can use the 134a and you are good to go

Meaning hoses off open to the air. This promotes corrosion inside the aluminum parts. which will flake off, (In real bad cases) and ruin the compressor.

FYI, speedway motors in Lincoln NE. has complete Vintage Air set ups for mopar A, B, C bodies on sale for $1,350 to $1,500 this month, Just seen their new catalog at the shop.

Auto Transport Service
Back