• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aftermarket wheel cylinders

ajarofclay

Local time
2:06 AM
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm looking to replace my rear wheel cylinders (11" drums). Everything I've found so far fasten with 1/4 20 bolts while my originals use 5/16 18. Does anybody know of a source to get the correct fit? It might be my OCD but if this has become a way to cut corners, I won't do it. Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

Sad to announce that the entire Chineseum world , and even the last companies that make them here in the U.S.A. are --- ALL --- making them
With 1 / 4 " bolts compared to the original 5 / 16 " bolts....

Stupid ?? Yes..... Reality ?? Yes.....

And they are / were just waaaaay too popular... Nobody // NO supplier has them any longer.....

Maybe ?!?! You will get lucky --- not likely --- but perhaps someone on this site has a couple spares he / she can sell you..... Good Luck.......

Last edited:
If you absolutely wanted 5/16 you could drill and retap. Or have your old ones redone.

Rebuild your originals. If you can't find the kits, buy the new ones for the parts to rebuild.

Wow, that was quick. Great info. Well, the only reason I was looking for them was because after the car sat for about 30 years I snapped the bleeder. The guts look pretty good so I guess I will just clean them up and redo them. I'll have to drill out the bleeder and possibly retap it. I haven't tried the other bleeder yet but I will. Thanks again everybody.

Last edited:
Wow, that was quick. Great info. Well, the only reason I was looking for them was because after the car sat for about 30 years I snapped the bleeder. The guts look pretty good so I guess I will just clean them up and redo them. I'll have to drill out the bleeder and possibly retap it. I haven't tried the other bleeder yet but I will. Thanks again everybody.
Heat is your friend.
Mike

Welll sheet ... that explains why the heads of the bolts don't fully cover the holes in the backing plates !! I installed new cylinders in a new rear end and had nothing to reference so just took it for granted that's how they fit !! Oh well, they're not going anywhere !!

You can try Mobile Parts (Craig) a member here. He has good brake parts.May have what you need.

^^^^ Thank You , darter6 , ^^^^
I would buy 100 of them in a millisecond, but, unfortunately NO ONE has them......
Craig.....

Auto Transport Service
Back