• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AFX Belvedere Help

805moparkid

Local time
10:36 PM
Reaction score
i am currently atending wyotech Sacramento and am in the Chassis Fabrication class. after some discussion with my teachers we have decided to A/FX my 65 Belvedere HDT. And don't worry! it was only a SL6 car to begin with.

due the the fact that i am 18 and the limited amount of information on these cars i need some help as far as what parts were used with the A-100 straight axle (car or van steering box used??) and so forth. i am going to do the full 15" rear and 10 Front. any and all information and parts welcome...

thx

Check out Jim Schild's book "Maximum performance". This has some usefull inside information and...there's a PDF document available with specifications. PM your emailaddress and I'll send it to you.

Scary?? I guess you refer to the Fairmont!!!! When I built that car, along with Steve, it was to be just an exercise. To see if you could take unforlorn car and turn it into something cool.

They definately did some wacky stuff back then, and some of it was cobbled and unsafe. But todays build-ups concentrate more on driveability and dependability. Not so much about getting to the end of the finish line first. Look,as well as trying to be true to the period, are important. You can certainly go out and get a bolt-on straight axle tube kit, and acheive a "look", but when you sweat the details, like locating an original A-100 front axle assembly, and making it work, the payoff is that much better.

Dale( the Funnycar Farmer)

Here is a link to quite a bit more projects that I"ve done. There are also pictures from Steves altered, as well as mine, that were never published.
I"m also going to be installing a straight axle under the red '65 Hemi Coronet, in a couple weeks. This should prove to be quite a challenge, as the car is operational, and quite stunning.

http://public.fotki.com/bowtie0069/shop-projects-1/

awb car

i have been hooked on awb cars for a while now and decided to build one .i found an 63 4 door to start with . i found some real nice sedan doors off a 65 2 door but the roof line is different so i have to cut them and switch out the vent window off the 63 . going to do the k-member alteration on the front so i located the 50" tosion bars like the factory used .i have the dvd that dale and steve made i have watched it many times love the car . dale did a great job . i know my car is a 63 and they werent any done in 63 as far as i could find but hey why not . the car is a poly head 318 with a 3-speed manual trans . my plan is to convert it to a floor shift and run it with the poly and 3-speed till i locate a max wdege .

I think its OK to try cars that were not altered back then. Lately, I've been staring real hard at a '66 Plymouth two door coupe. The body lines down the side would lend themselves very well to an alteration. Its a customers car that I've been performing some work on, but I cannot convince him to swing over to altered side!! Just going to have to locate one myself down the road. After the two other under construction altereds!! Cant wait to see pictures of your build!!

i will post them as soon as its under way .i think that a 66 would be awsome my first car was a 67 bel I is miss it wish i had kept it ..i also have a 65 coronet conv. that needs a resto savin it for retirement though

What would be the shop cost to have a 15/10 using a K frame front on a 65 Coronet?
anyone in the east coast area doing this work?

Poly1963, there was '63s that were updated with '64 and '65 noses that eventually got the altered wheelbase treatment running in the 60s. Seems that most of them were independent cars that got the quicker/simpler solid-axle conversion.

Shopguy, maybe you should talk with Gary with the "Flashback" '65 Plymouth? He and a friend of his built that car in thier shop, they might be looking to do another conversion or maybe know somebody that is? I think his website is www.afxer.com Tell Gary that PrimerKing sent ya. He's about the friendliest guy in the world and regularly drives his 10-second AWB on the street with a stock bore/stroke 426 Hemi with a basic crossram and carbs.

Primer King: yes, we've been in touch with Gary.....we're doing some planning to see what we can come up with. I'm trying to balance out buget vs. time vs. talent issues on my side. Your right...he's a great guy to deal with!
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back