• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AFX Help

805moparkid

Local time
1:13 AM
Reaction score
hello racers, i am an 18 year old mopar fanatic that is curently atending WyoTech Sacramento. i have a 1965 Plymouth Bevedere HDT that originaly was a slant car... and has a 505 stroker waiting to be dropped in... but anyways
i am curently in Chassis fabrication and after some discusion with the teachers we want to AFX the car. i am trying to track down a straight axle and have some questions.

Like do i use the A-100 steering box or the stock car box?

any info would be a great help!

thx ed

Why not just relocate the K member forward? Thats the way its done now days..

i thought about doing that but i like the sraight axle look better

Such a good project. I wonder if this car was ever completed? Anyone?

When I built my funny car in 1966 I used a CAE tube axle with 40 Ford spindles and leaf springs. I did not use the clunky I-beam straight axle which I think looks terrible

Try Speedway Motors IIRC they have a couple straight axle to chose from...

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search?query=Straight+axle

go down that page about 1/4 or 1/2 of the way

they ain't cheap, $849.99 one brake, you could adapt 2 brakes
IIRC you can piece meal, that axle too, just need to do a search

Speedway Straght axle 50 inch a $849.99.jpg

you could buy ends for the spindles
weld them to a tube for your specific width,
they have different sizes for different type of spindles too

Speedway Straight axle ends $39.99.jpg

Just weld on the proper perches at the proper angles
lay back the caster a little so it will track nice
use a mono leaf {they probably sell too} & hangers to mount it, after its done

good luck youngster,
{I'm about 100-120 or so miles east of Sacramento}

You could check out http://www.racingjunk.com too
a few nostalgia guys there may sell it too...

Last edited:
Well guys if you look at the date he posted this conversation it was in 2009 and I hope the Wyotech project is over by now. just curious on how the project came out . Thanks for your input though. A lot of guys around here are using the Speedway axles and the company that Mike Ganes used on his car probably went out of business 40-50 years ago. A lot of guys are running Ron Pope axles brakes and springs on their gassers. Thanks Budnicks for the good pictures. You two guys are the greatest.

Well guys if you look at the date he posted this conversation it was in 2009 and I hope the Wyotech project is over by now. just curious on how the project came out . Thanks for your input though. A lot of guys around here are using the Speedway axles and the company that Mike Ganes used on his car probably went out of business 40-50 years ago. A lot of guys are running Ron Pope axles brakes and springs on their gassers. Thanks Budnicks for the good pictures. You two guys are the greatest.
Yea, I bought my straight axle from CAE in 1966. I had it setup for 1940 Ford spindles.
I went out to the local junk yard and found about 4 or 5 1940 Fords. The owner just cut off the ends with the spindles intact. (back then there were actually 1940 Fords in the junk yard.
I took the 2 end back to my shop. Heated them up and pounded out the kingpins. I then installed the spindles on my CAE axle.
I used the American Racing 12 spoke Magnesium spindle mount front wheels (that were popular on Altereds) with no brakes...lightweight setup and that setup became fairly popular on a lot of funny cars during that era.

That was a hot set up back then and believe it or not , today too.

Auto Transport Service
Back