• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air cleaner clearance with 1967 Belvedere 440

CjVan

Local time
7:02 AM
Reaction score
Ok i've said it before and ill say it again, I have a 1967 belvedere II with a 440 v8 and edelbrock performer rpm intake and a holley double pumper carb.

Im having trouble getting an air cleaner that fits, I already have a aircleaner base with a drop base of 1.25" made for my holley for a 14" filter, i layed the cleaner assembly ontop of the carb and laid 3 sticks of playdoh on them and closed the hood and the stick of playdoh on the center of the cleaner lid completely flattened out and the sides stayed up.

The so I flip filter lid upside down so the center of the cleaner sinks down and I proceed to lay to sticks of playdoh on it, one on the left edge and right edge and they dont bottom out but they indicated less than 1/4" space between the hood and the air cleaner lid....

Anyone solve this issue with having aftermarket intakes without having to cut a hole in the hood and install the scoop (i want to but cant afford it yet). What can I do in the mean time... I already have a base plate for the filter that lets the aircleaner sit 1.25" lower but like I mentioned before the center of the cleaner hits the hood and the sides are less than 1/4" close to touching.

may sound stupid here, but get a shorter filter? What air cleaner top are you running? Pictures would be a help here

I have to use a 2" tall so I clear the hood. I have a 14x2tall. Hope it helps?

Well my air filter is 2inch's tall by 14" wide... I still touch teh hood, the air cleaner lid is a no name brand, probably measures 3/4" tall and the base plate has a 1.25" drop to it but not enough.

No cheap way that I can think of right off, a Holley Street Dominator fit my '67 Belvedere II using a Thermoquad and drop-style 14" cleaner assembly. When I decided to go a little further I bought a hood from a '66 Satellite and cut that one for a scoop (painted hood and scoop black). Neither is a cheap way, the Holley is a bit cheaper!

you could do a couple of things. 1 is get a shorter filter but the it looks weird! You could lok online on www.spectra.com and get a cold air intake sytem that will in actuallity help performance or do what i did and spend $300.00 from www.sledcity.com and buy a bada** fiberglass hood scoop! your choice!

What you have discovered is why I like to say that the RPM manifold is the most useless item ever produced for our cars.

Sure they work good, but won't fit without some sort of hood scoop, or ultra restrictive air filter (which eliminates the performance gains).

I would recommend that you find a CH4B manifold. They fit great, and flow so close to the RPM that you will never tell any difference. Why they were discontinued and replaced by unusable designs for a stock vehicle use, is a continuing mystery.

There have been over 15 performance cylinder heads built for BB Mopars, but no one will develop a manifold that works well, and fits! The CH4B (dual plane) and Dominator (single plane), prove that it can be done.

Sorry for the rant, but find a CH4B and sell your RPM. You'll be money and performance ahead.

17264911.jpg
[/IMG]

This had an Edelbrock CH-4B high rise and a Holley with a stock air filter from a Roadrunner...circa 1970 (it was 1969 440 powered)

My '67 Satellite has a 440, Performer RPM, 850 Holley DP sitting on a 1/2" spacer, and a cheap Moroso drop base air cleaner and the stock hood closes fine. It even closed with a 1" spacer OK but rubbed a little, so I switched to a 1/2" spacer.

I have the same setup on my 67 gtx...I had to get a specter drop air cleaner base...It had the most drop of any...And then a 2 inch wide k&n filter with a k&n top....It,s really close from the carb linkage to the base but it worked....

I bet if you guys that are using a substantial drop base with a short filter will be amazed at how little distance there is between the carb inlet and top of the air filter.

Put a piece of playdough in there and put the top on then measure the dough. You could be looking at an inch or less.

Do you really think that that can possibly make more power than even a stock manifold with a decent air filter?

The magazines are the enemy nowadays, as they will dyno test (under ideal conditions) things that their sponsors sell, and get super results without pointing out the downsides. The RPM is just one of theses sub-par items.

Personally, I have yet to see a car without a hood scoop, that has an RPM on it (or Mopar M-1, or other "new" tall manifold), that will perform even up to stock standards, but they do work great if a hood isn't in the way.

Do whatever you guys want, I'm just trying to point out that it's well worth scrounging up a CH4B if performance is what you want with a stock hood. Anything else will be less.

Are you running stage 6 heads? I am having the same problem with my Bee 70. The spacer lifts the intake to far and won't allow me to close the hood. Just thought I would ask. I have a 6 pack car so that could be a whole other problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back