• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

air/fuel gauge recommendations

69clone

Local time
5:30 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So i was at auto zone earlier with my dad and i usually don't go down the isle with the stick on chrome molding,ricer crap and gauges but i decided too. I saw they had an air to fuel ratio gauge that caught my eye, i asked the guy there he told me i could make it work but recommended i go with something like an AEM wideband 02 sensor kit. Looked it up and it's 200bucks... lot more then the 35bucks i was earlier thinking, But i figured some of you may have experience with these gauges so i had some questions,
I see some are narrow band gauges and some are wideband, whats the difference? one better or worst for a carbed motor? also the one i saw had led's that went from lean-mid-rich but i see some of the more expensive ones are digital i assume those would be better, Since you see the actual ratio vs. a arrow pointing... Last but not least what brand do you recommend?
Thank you,
~Nick

I have been told that AEM is crap!!!! I have a few friends with hot rodded modern muscle cars(GTO,Camaros,Stangs Ect..) so when I was thinking about getting a A/F gauge for my 65 Coronet I asked them since I have no knowledge of this fancy modern day stuff. They told me to say away from AEM. Look at FAST or Altronics they are top notch.

If you are looking for a stand alone gauge for street driving/sometime strip use look at FAST #170634. You don't need a computor for this set up.
BUT: If you want a full out Hot street/race unit. Check out the FAST #170402 or Altronic 02Alert unit. Dual sensors for super tuning. Both have playback from the box or PC hook up for a more in depth look at the run. The FAST is a nice unit for hot street/bracket racing. The Altronic 02Alert is a more in-depth unit. The software has more features on it. It is more money though. SUPERSTOCKRACER will have more info on this unit. If he doesn't reply to this you may want to P.M. him.

I would look at the FAST units if you are just doing street driving/trips to the track but if you are a full on racer then it is the Altronics unit all the way.

Thanks for the info, glad i asked. One of the main reasons is I would like to tune the carb using it. But if I had it I'll find other uses for it like at the track and whatnot. I'll check out FAST.

I have been told that AEM is crap!!!! I have a few friends with hot rodded modern muscle cars(GTO,Camaros,Stangs Ect..) so when I was thinking about getting a A/F gauge for my 65 Coronet I asked them since I have no knowledge of this fancy modern day stuff. They told me to say away from AEM. Look at FAST or Altronics they are top notch.

If you are looking for a stand alone gauge for street driving/sometime strip use look at FAST #170634. You don't need a computor for this set up.
BUT: If you want a full out Hot street/race unit. Check out the FAST #170402 or Altronic 02Alert unit. Dual sensors for super tuning. Both have playback from the box or PC hook up for a more in depth look at the run. The FAST is a nice unit for hot street/bracket racing. The Altronic 02Alert is a more in-depth unit. The software has more features on it. It is more money though. SUPERSTOCKRACER will have more info on this unit. If he doesn't reply to this you may want to P.M. him.

I would look at the FAST units if you are just doing street driving/trips to the track but if you are a full on racer then it is the Altronics unit all the way.

ALTRONICS O2 ALERT is your best option.
more money but very precise. i'd go with the dual sensors too!
also there is a lm2 setup with dual sensors.

Thanks SSR,
Those are really nice units but they seem like over kill for me? I understand serious racers like you, can really benefit from the logged info and all the other fancy stuff but if i'm just trying to improve fuel economy and the performance lost due to not having ideal a/f mixture, are one of those really necessary? Although i do really like them, Just can't justify the price tag...

Thanks SSR,
Those are really nice units but they seem like over kill for me? I understand serious racers like you, can really benefit from the logged info and all the other fancy stuff but if i'm just trying to improve fuel economy and the performance lost due to not having ideal a/f mixture, are one of those really necessary? Although i do really like them, Just can't justify the price tag...

i also like the autometer a/f gauge with sensor. might be something to look at. looks pretty too!

I'm not a real big fan of all the lights. Looks to new school. I like the looks of a gauge in an old car but hey that is just me.

But that being said SSR once I get the cash I will be giving you a call for the Altronics set up.

Auto Transport Service
Back