• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

alarm or kill switch?

scottlanes

Local time
5:14 AM
Reaction score
I just picked up a 68 Satellite and I was wondering if anyone knew of an alarm or kill switch for cars of this vintage. Back in the day there was the Chapman lock or toggle switches under the dash, but I didnt know if anyone was doing anything new.

I'm going to use this as a daily driver so it would be nice to at least have a kill switch in there to keep joyriders from ruining my day :)

thanks in advance!

-scott

I'm sure an alarm could be installed. LoJack has some really fancy systems, and will allow the car to be tracked (providing you live in an area where the cops have that capability). There are other systems that allow YOU to track your car from any computer.

Kill switches can always be installed, and you can get tricky with it. I know someone who used the cruise button on his car to change the speedo pulse rate so the car stayed in warranty longer. You could use the hi/low foot switch as a kill. Or maybe the "track" switch on an 8 track player.

Kill switch will stop stupid people and slow smart ones from driving away with your car, but won't stop them from vandalizing it, stealing parts/tires and wheels, etc. An alarm may scare them off before they can do that. A little toggle switch hidden under the dash or someplace else is cheap (try Radio Shack, for instance) , somebody smarter than me can suggest which wire to use. Depending on where you park, kill switch and alarm both might be a good idea.

Checked eBay - there is a simple car alarm that just requires connecting two wires, it can be had for less than $30 including shipping.

Splice in a kill switch (momentary) to the safety neutral switch on the tranny, I've done that in the past. Gonna add one to my 70.

I have a kill switch on the Daytona....It's just a toggle switch with one wire going to ground, and the other one tied into the negative side of the coil, actually, spliced to the tach lead under the dash. You can never hot-wire the car when the toggle switch is on.

I went on eBay, searched for "car alarm" with max price of $40. I found item 160315637103 today. There may be others - the list was hundreds of items long and most weren't what you are looking for, so I quit after I found this one. I don't know how to put a link in here, sorry.

i just ordered one. I figured for $35 i'd roll the dice and see how it goes. I'l post back here once i get it and put it in.....

i emailed the vendor and got this response:
Dear mopartsweet,

Hello and thank you for your question. Unfortunately, we can't guarantee it
will on a 1966 Chrysler since there has been some changes on recent models
vehicles like power windows, power locks, power headlights, etc. This alarm
system is set up to work with automatic power features. Have a great day!

-buyersjourney

I can only tell you about what I have in my car.

1 - A key that you turn that disconects the actual power from the battery (like taking the negative off). If your car catches fire you wont be taking the negative off in engine bay and the power is what will be feeding the fire. So this key thing will cut the power off and then your fire extinguisher will be usefull. This protects you from losing your car as well as nobody taking it.

2- Get another key lock thing that you turn near the break pedal. This actually locks up all 4 breaks. So if somebody tried to steal it, they would need a crane to pick your car up as you cant move it due to breaks being locked on.

Dont need anything else. Alarms etc ius just more wiring and problems you dont need.

Electric solonoid in the fuel line got me several 5 gallon cans of gas when someone wanted to joy ride my Dart back in the 70s . they get her fired up and about a half block she ran out of gas in the carb .

Auto Transport Service
Back