• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternate oil pressure tap location?

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:35 PM
Reaction score
I know of the duplicate port connection behind the intake, next to the idiot light sender mount. That’s where I installed the oil tube for the oil pressure auxiliary gage on my 67 GTX. Now I’m installing one on my 66 Hemi Satellite and as difficult as that area was to work in on my factory air GTX, it’s a nightmare on the Hemi with the intake heat pipes. I would at least have to temporarily remove the right side one if not both. So - wondering if there might be another block oil gallery plug location elsewhere on the block that I’m not aware of, that might be easier to get to?

thanks

Just got done putting a tee in one of mine. Easy when it is out of the car of course, but I have done several with the motor in the car as well.

20211114_181327.jpg

Isn't there a pipe plug in the oil pump ?

Isn't there a pipe plug in the oil pump ?

No pressure tap at the oil pump, thats the back of the relief valve...

Only external oil ports on a second gen Hemi are behind the intake...

Not trying to step on this thread, I drilled and tapped the Milodon pump cover on my 540 to hook up the accumulator I'm installing. I wanted a larger opening. Top fitting in photo. Had to mill out the corner for mount clearance.
Mike
IMG_1579.JPG

The tap on the back of the block shows that there is oil pressure in the engine. A tap on the pump only says there is pump pressure there...

Sounds like the answer is that the only taps are the two behind the intake.

thanks

I moved mine via a hose connection at the block
and mounted the sender and switch
to the firewall. This is on a 440 with a 1940
Plymouth truck cab.
20211118_125513.jpg

Last edited:
OK - got it done but it wasn’t easy. First, I decided I was going to have to lay across the top of the engine to work back there so I decided this was a good time to pull the carbs and go through them and I taped over the manifold openings and placed plywood over the intake to lay on.

I removed the bolt from the right side pressure port. I unbolted the right intake heat tube and moved it out of the way and the choke tube from the carb to the exhaust manifold. Even with my fairly slender hands I still couldn’t get down in there to thread the oil pressure fitting in - I had to tape each fitting piece to a socket hooked to a long extension and feed it down and gently get it engaged in the threads and then tighten it down. To get the compression fitting, tube and compression ball down I fed it through a deep socket with a long screwdriver taped to the outside of the socket and stabbed it down while watching from between the back edge of the hood and the cowl. It was a relief when it spun on and snugged down. The whole thing at least gave me an excuse to use that set of Craftsman crows feet wrenches I’ve had for years. It was also the most I’ve used my lift in a couple years going up and down a number of times to get the intake heat tube off. Im putting a piece of silicon, high temp, protective tubing over the nylon line since it’s got to run in close proximity to those intake heat pipes and after this I don’t want it melting.

Not a job I would wish on my enemy but feels good for this 70 year old to get it done.

Auto Transport Service
Back