• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator and Headlight relay upgrades results

kiwigtx

Henchman #4 and Jack-Stand Racer #2
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:29 PM
Reaction score
First of all, I want to give a heap of credit to Propwash for providing very detailed drawings here on the site, and for giving a huge amount of background information and inspiration. Secondly, I want to also thank Paladin06 for giving me some more inspiration to do something I had being thinking about for a while now. Cheers guys. :icon_jook:

First of all, I decided to upgrade the supply from my alternator to the battery, and also eliminate a large load from the in-dash ammeter which is a constant trouble spot for most. I went to our local Auto-parts store, and found a nice 75Amp plug-in fuse (following advice from Paladin06 here). That was the start of a small problem. The female terminals on said fuse are larger than regular terminals, so I had to fabricate a new connector. They are the same size as headlamp terminals in case anyone was wondering.
Step 1 – take a section of household switchboard busbar and cut into sections. Then solder on a new heavy duty cable – 6mm sq. CSA (3 times the size of the standard Alternator cable) – run from alternator to starter relay terminal.
DSC01774_zps9cccf52e.jpg

DSC01775_zps53d20b8b.jpg

DSC01776_zpsb9ad8a2e.jpg

DSC01777_zps72bfd6bd.jpg

DSC01778_zpsaa5a00fb.jpg

I had to use my Propane powered gas iron to solder this wire just to get enough heat for the solder to flow nice. Shaved the copper bar down to be a snug fit into the fuse terminals.
DSC01777_zps72bfd6bd.jpg

Also used some thin-walled self-sealing heat-shrink tubing to tidy up the cable ends on the lugs etc.
Alternator main terminal – I kept the original cable in place to keep the feed live to the bulkhead connector, and eliminate any loss of power in the dash areas.
DSC01783_zps6485af76.jpg

DSC01785_zps9cbaa1b4.jpg

Made good use of my rather expensive but necessary cable wrap – no adhesive like original (Year One part) – it makes an awesome job of the looming, and prevents all that gluey residue you normally find with adhesive tapes after the engine heat has played it’s part.
DSC01786_zpsff00a3bd.jpg

Next step is to fabricate a mount that will hold the new combined relay unit for the headlights. Stealth position selected under the battery tray. I found two factory holes that worked perfectly once the block was ready to install. New relay is “Made in Japan”, and is the best you can buy for the job. I was going down the separate relays and diodes path, but this is virtually idiot-proof to install, and makes a tidier job.
DSC01787_zps07173368.jpg

DSC01788_zpsb8b8a950.jpg

Relay and wiring in position under the battery tray location.
DSC01790_zpsddaca28b.jpg

DSC01791_zps47b22c6c.jpg

DSC01793_zps4be6f2c8.jpg

I managed to cut into the original loom behind the headlight buckets, and run the control wiring in with the original loom to make a tidy finish. Barely noticeable now that the correct tape is installed. I have kept the original feeds across to the passenger side, as there is only a 0.25Volt drop between the sides.
End look at the battery –
DSC01794_zpse3e209f8.jpg

Test results during the modifications;

Before touching anything –
Battery voltage;
• 660 RPM = 13.30V
• 1000 RPM = 14.03V
• 2000 RPM = 14.20V
Headlight voltage at passenger side HIGH Beam;
• 660 RPM = 9.95V
• 1000 RPM = 11.15V
• 2000 RPM = 11.20V

New Alternator feed wire to starter relay, and bypassed the Ammeter;
Battery voltage
• 660 RPM = 14.40V
• 1000 RPM = 14.45V
• 2000 RPM = 14.45V

Now with new headlight relay fitted, and bypassed ammeter;
HIGH Beam voltage on passenger side
• 660 RPM = 12.50V
• 1000 RPM = 13.80V
• 2000 RPM = 13.88V
• Battery at rest – engine OFF = 12.83V
The headlights are much brighter now, and although the voltages tested show a mere 2.5V increase overall, the results are clear to see with the lights on. It also means I have diverted the bulk of the current away from the ammeter, which as we all know is a source of many problems. The only current going through the light switch and dip-switch now is for control only of the relay.
The only downside is that the ammeter now shows a discharge with the engine running, as the battery gets a recharge through the path of least resistance – which is directly from the alternator.

Hopefully this will helps other to make the decision to upgrade in future. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Nice job!
I did the relay upgrade on my Charger last year and it is definately worth it! I used two relays but yours makes for a cleaner look!

Very nice job but we're gonna need some pictures of the front of the car now. Day and Night please :)

I used 2 relays as well....and I agree---big difference in the lighting quality!

Very nice job but we're gonna need some pictures of the front of the car now. Day and Night please :)

Just because you asked....I'll try doing those pics this week. ;) I could definitely feel heat coming off the headlamps last night.

Great post, thanks. Could you provide some details on the relay you used. Where did you get it, what's it from, if another car what was the year, make, model. I searched online and everything led me down under!
Wayne

Go to Mad Electric Ask for Mark Hamilton he is in California and has everything for a reasonable price. That wiring job came out beautiful I have to say.

Just because you asked....I'll try doing those pics this week. ;) I could definitely feel heat coming off the headlamps last night.

Thanks brother I'm looking forward to it. That is one sweet PRO installation

Great post, thanks. Could you provide some details on the relay you used. Where did you get it, what's it from, if another car what was the year, make, model. I searched online and everything led me down under!
Wayne

I will try to get the source locally - I can ship to USA for you guys, as I know this relay is not easy to get a hold of.

Thanks Kiwi. Nice tech write up on your conversion and findings. Really does show the night/day difference just by looking at the voltage changes. Job well done sir! Thank you for sharing.

Thanks brother I'm looking forward to it. That is one sweet PRO installation

Here ya go...some inside shots just taken due to the heavy rain outside....please excuse the dust on the car - has not been outside or washed in nearly 3 months. That's hopefully gonna change this weekend :blob1:

At idle....
DSC01797_zpsf334374f.jpg

DSC01800_zps40e28073.jpg

DSC01801_zpseafe9c6e.jpg

using the flash....
DSC01802_zpsaff7d083.jpg

flash off...
DSC01803_zps3f634e5d.jpg

Hope to take some more pics this weekend. That Alternator upgrade seems to have pepped up the idle, and the engine sounds a lot more crisp and lively :upside down::upside down::upside down:

Looks good Kiwi. Looking forward to more info from you

Auto Transport Service
Back