• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator Bolt Hole

50 Coupe

Local time
5:14 AM
Reaction score
Looks like the alternator bolt hole on the front of the pass. side head of my 383 is hogged out with what appears to be the broken end of the holt about a half inch deep. Anyone have any luck repairing this with a heli coil, ez lock or Time Sert? Also, thought about making a bracket utilizing the lower two bolt holes and tap or weld a nut for that alternator bolt to secure to. Any thoughts or experiences with this?

Is a piece of a bolt down in the hole? They make drill/easy out kits with left hand drill bits that work great
for that kind of problem. MSC has them I believe? If the drill bit doesn't start turning the broken bolt, you
can put a corresponding easy out in the hole and remove it. Make sure to douse it in penetrating oil! I'm
partial to "Kroil". Good luck!

I'll get a pic. this weekend when I am back out where the car is. The hole is 'hogged' to the extent that it looks like someone tried to drill it out. It is oblong at this point and the bolt is snapped off about 1/2 deep and I can see where they tried to drill into the bolt. If I try a heli-coil type fix I prolly need an oversize. I may try the bracket idea before I spend god knows how much time trying to get that bolt out. Just wondering if others have dealt with this.

I did this once . Got the darn hole drilled off center, and was not able to use an EZ out, as it was actually biting into the cyl head. Sounds like you have a similar problem. I gave up. I took the opportunity to replace the valve seals and check out the cylinder heads as I swapped them from one side to the other. The driver side head will also have the bolt hole, and it is not used on the driver side of the car. You may not want to choose that option, but it worked for me.
:thumbsup:

I did this once . Got the darn hole drilled off center, and was not able to use an EZ out, as it was actually biting into the cyl head. Sounds like you have a similar problem. I gave up. I took the opportunity to replace the valve seals and check out the cylinder heads as I swapped them from one side to the other. The driver side head will also have the bolt hole, and it is not used on the driver side of the car. You may not want to choose that option, but it worked for me.
:thumbsup:
Right. That is kinda what I am concerned about. I am trying to get this motor running on the stand so I can get it set up in the car, then planning to rebuild it. I may try making a bracket first to mount on the head. I'll post pics, IF it works. LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back