• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator for 68 Roadrunner?

Ed Martin

Local time
8:13 AM
Reaction score
I haven't shopped for an alternator for my 68 roadrunner in about 30-40 years. Where can I get a good quality new stock-type direct replacement which my manual calls for a 44-51 Amp size. I don't have a high electrical load. Using a P3690732 regulator with electronic ignition. What's the difference between round back and square back? And between one wire and two wire field? And between external and internal regulator? I don't know which I need. Any help to unconfuse me is appreciated.

Jim Ridge is the bomb! You won’t beat his friendly honest service. I have one there now and won’t go anywhere else.. I bought one somewhere else and was sad and had to send it to him for correct restoration. If you want a numbers one that is the way Ma made it, he is the number one go to ! Good luck no I’m not biased just being honest... Jim Ridge at Dixie resto in South Carolina

Last edited:
Take the one off your car to the local electric motor rebuilder and you'll know you have the correct working unit when you take it back home.

This is for a 383 with no air conditioning load.

Auto Transport Service
Back