• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator parasitic drain

spyda70

Local time
9:56 AM
Reaction score
I'm new to Mopar and my 70 charger, my powermaster Alternator #17509 on a 440 4sp w MSD ignition drains when whatever the thing I have pictured is hooked up. Can I just not use it? If not does anyone know what is it and where I can get one.

Thanks for your help
Spyda70

20230322_172810.jpg

20230322_172852.jpg

Its some sort of regulator and I think it is wired wrong.

Blue wire was connected inside the alternator

It is a Voltage Regulator .I'm going to try this one found on ebay

View attachment 1437815
Your car should be wired for that style. The one on your alternator is a self exciting style regulator. I suspect after looking some more there could be something inside thats bad causing the draw.

Since you have it off the car, maybe you should take it to an alt. shop and have them test it for the heck of it. I've never seen a regulator like you have.

Since you have it off the car, maybe you should take it to an alt. shop and have them test it for the heck of it. I've never seen a regulator like you have.
IMO.....IF you are experiencing a current drain or the battery is being discharged over time, it is highly likely that the alternator has a bad diode (shorted or has a low resistance to ground), draining the battery. The attached voltage regulator could also have a shorted thru a low resistance to ground, draining the battery over time. One of the two red wires attached to the output stud, supplies power to the regulator to provide system voltage reference that the alternator controls to. The internal sensing device is a high resistance voltage divider network, similar to the the GM 10SI or 12SI alternators with the internal regulator, which has a 10 micro amp (+/') continuous current loss, as it is not switched.
BOB RENTON

@pnora

Thats a regular stock “revised” squaredback alternator with a mounted on regulator to become it onto a “one wire” alt.

885927BF-1EA9-40D8-93BC-96F0CF04B4C9.jpeg

if you remove it, you can wire it like stock “dual field” alt, like factory did since 1970.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for input Alternator tested good at Autozone. There was a short in voltage
regulator which is D7018 believe to be from GM. It was wired correctly as in the first pictured posted.

Auto Transport Service
Back