• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum heads worth it?

I got edelbrock aluminum heads last year and love the difference from the 452's. I sunk a bit of money in those 452's and the aluminum outperformed them straight out of the box. You won't be disappointed.

what wild rt said last page and others
what pistons were used to get 9.7 with 452 heads
how far down the hole are they?
let's step back and calculae current cr
not surprised about pinging with open chamber heads
That's why we developed the quench pad piston like 50 years ago
but he has flat top pistons
if 4 valve reliefs they are 6 pck pistons with a ch of about 2.61
depeinding on how the block is cut the deck clearence could be from down .025 to 0 deck
will make a big difference on gasket selection

what wild rt said last page and others
what pistons were used to get 9.7 with 452 heads
how far down the hole are they?
let's step back and calculae current cr
not surprised about pinging with open chamber heads
That's why we developed the quench pad piston like 50 years ago
but he has flat top pistons
if 4 valve reliefs they are 6 pck pistons with a ch of about 2.61
depeinding on how the block is cut the deck clearence could be from down .025 to 0 deck
will make a big difference on gasket selection
They have 4 valve reliefs and if i remember right, the are about .023 down

Last one we had on the Dyno using using the six-pack pistons(4 valve reliefs), Eddy E-Streets with a port match only, Comp Cams XE268H Cam, a street dominator intake and 750 Holley made 465hp and 510 Trq.
Very surprised it actually carried power right through 5,500 rpm as well ?

When you have the hunger for more power it can be an endless quest. If it is a street beast and you want a little more kick nitrous is the least expensive. When you think about well flowing heads,you might need pistons to make the upgrade work well. Then if the engine is apart maybe a little more stroke,,,,then a cam and lifters that might require new springs,,,,,the you you might want more and more!!
Take it from an addict,it's never ending unless you set goals and can be happy with that.
I am driving my childrens inheritance :BangHead::steering::lol::screwy:.
My goal is 8.50 and that is IT!! I can't do what I used to because getting old SUCKS!!:luvplace:

An opinion is just that,everybody has a few:carrot::popcorn2:

AJ/FormS said:
a disagree is an opinion. You can't argue against it, and you don't need to justify it. It's just an opinion.
It's like God.
My opinion is that He's real. But He has never spoken to me, and I've never seen Him.
Your opinion might be that there is no God, cuz He has never spoken to you, nor have you ever seen it him.
So each of us gives the other a big red X; now what? You can't argue against opinion, and you don't need to justify it.
Yet millions of people, over thousands of years, have slaughtered each other over this very opinion.

ok .023 down +.028 Mr gasket and you are just about .050 so you still get some quench effect from the closed chamber head
I'd say go for it
but .040 or .050 gaskets will make the pinging worse
the a + quench will offset the compression increase
ask around but if you are going to check or blueprint the Edelbrock heads you could go to viton stem seals (the two center ones run hot) and unshroud the intake valves and pick up 5 cc
9.7 is just about right for a 268 cam with your build
Most know i do not like them with low compression on the street-street builds
one thing would be to get the Edelbrocks bare and let one of our head guys like Porter or IMM load them for you with known valves and springs and a pro valve job
Ibuilt a lot of that combination with 915 heads either 74 cc or opened up to 80 cc with shorter cams

Doesn’t the performer rpm have identical specs as the e street, except better flow?

When you have the hunger for more power it can be an endless quest. If it is a street beast and you want a little more kick nitrous is the least expensive. When you think about well flowing heads,you might need pistons to make the upgrade work well. Then if the engine is apart maybe a little more stroke,,,,then a cam and lifters that might require new springs,,,,,the you you might want more and more!!
Take it from an addict,it's never ending unless you set goals and can be happy with that.
I am driving my childrens inheritance :BangHead::steering::lol::screwy:.
My goal is 8.50 and that is IT!! I can't do what I used to because getting old SUCKS!!:luvplace:

How much does nitrous really cost with cost to refill bottles and how much is used per pass? Read someplace on the web that for about each 100 HP it takes about 1-lb of Nitrous? And refill costs can be around $5/lb ?

Cost wise the math comparison does look fairly decent for nitrous. Say the $1,000 heads add 50 HP, and an inexpensive nitrous kit is about $400.
If the nitrous is set for just a 50 hp shot, the $600 price difference (between the heads and nitrous kit) could equate to about 1,200 50 HP Nitrous passes, or 600 passes with a 100 HP shot. On the other hand this assumes your stock heads are good to go.

From a cost point of rebuilding worn out stock heads that may need hardened exhaust seats, valve guides, valve, springs, retainers, and locks. The new replacement heads would be a good investment. They have larger than stock stainless steel valves, hardened seats, and flow more. Either head can be ported for more flow at additional expense, but the aluminum heads are easier to repair if the engine gets damaged in the future.

Doesn’t the performer rpm have identical specs as the e street, except better flow?

I believe they are the exact same ports, and the flow is identical. The E streets have different valve seat material, and different springs, thats all.

ok .023 down +.028 Mr gasket and you are just about .050 so you still get some quench effect from the closed chamber head
I'd say go for it
but .040 or .050 gaskets will make the pinging worse
the a + quench will offset the compression increase
ask around but if you are going to check or blueprint the Edelbrock heads you could go to viton stem seals (the two center ones run hot) and unshroud the intake valves and pick up 5 cc
9.7 is just about right for a 268 cam with your build
Most know i do not like them with low compression on the street-street builds
one thing would be to get the Edelbrocks bare and let one of our head guys like Porter or IMM load them for you with known valves and springs and a pro valve job
Ibuilt a lot of that combination with 915 heads either 74 cc or opened up to 80 cc with shorter cams
So what youre saying is that i would get more pinging with a thicker head gasket? Im running .027 head gaskets now with the 452 heads and if i use a similar gasket and the edelbrock heads, my cr would be around 10.

That's exactly what I'm saying
Try and keep your quench under 50
you get to .060 and pinging is worse even with the slightly lower cr with the thicker gasket
if what you calculate is what you think is too much then take 5cc out of the chambers and get the valves unshrouded at the same time
now PRH can double check me on this with the Edelbrock heads- but does work with 915 iron heads

Thanks to all of the responses, ive pretty much decided to go ahead with the eddy heads in the near future. My next question is weather or not a CR of 10 would be too much for my combination?

That's exactly what I'm saying
Try and keep your quench under 50
you get to .060 and pinging is worse even with the slightly lower cr with the thicker gasket
if what you calculate is what you think is too much then take 5cc out of the chambers and get the valves unshrouded at the same time
now PRH can double check me on this with the Edelbrock heads- but does work with 915 iron heads
This may be the case in some instances BUT I had approx .051 quench and had knocking so I went with thicker head gaskets. I lowered my compression from 10.9 to 10.07 and the knocking stopped. Head gasket thickness went from .039 to .075.

Thanks to all of the responses, i've pretty much decided to go ahead with the eddy heads in the near future. My next question is weather or not a CR of 10 would be too much for my combination?
If the budget allows aluminum heads with some massaging,new pistons and cam would make it an animal!
It's all in the combo and Dwayne knows ALL the combos,is an expert head porter with a flow bench. He can help you maximize your investment.
I have a gizzilion dollars thrown at my brick over the last 30 years.:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

IMG_4594.JPG 3.12.18 032.jpg IMG_4628.JPG 3.12.18 198.jpg Oldies 001.jpg Oldies 005.jpg Oldies 022.jpg 5.13.15 005.jpg IMG_9960.JPG

If the budget allows aluminum heads with some massaging,new pistons and cam would make it an animal!
It's all in the combo and Dwayne knows ALL the combos,is an expert head porter with a flow bench. He can help you maximize your investment.
I have a gizzilion dollars thrown at my brick over the last 30 years.:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

View attachment 912281 View attachment 912282 View attachment 912283 View attachment 912284 View attachment 912288 View attachment 912289 View attachment 912290 View attachment 912291 View attachment 912292
Damn. That is a sweet car. Wish i had the funds to build a motor like that

Auto Transport Service
Back