• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum intake bolt torque

417guy

Local time
4:32 AM
Reaction score
Changing my intake to a performer rpm on my 68 383 roadrunner. FSM torque is for a cast iron intake . My heads are still 906 cast iron. Since the intake is aluminum should the torque of the bolts be less ? The same as FSM ? Thoughts ?? Thanks to everyone for advice !

Changing my intake to a performer rpm on my 68 383 roadrunner. FSM torque is for a cast iron intake . My heads are still 906 cast iron. Since the intake is aluminum should the torque of the bolts be less ? The same as FSM ? Thoughts ?? Thanks to everyone for advice !
Edelbrock says 25 foot pounds.

I have always been told and used 25 ft. lbs. as well.

I’ve run into this with a big block Chevy where aluminum intakes are known for cracked and broken bolt holes and warped gasket surfaces. Need to be sure the surfaces are flat and mate well and back off the torque specs for the cast iron manifold bolt torques by at least 5 ft lbs - probably more like 7 or 8. But Mopar aluminum intakes may be more forgiving - I don‘t have one except a Hemi and it’s a bit different anyway.

Tight as I can reasonably get them, with a short wrench. I can't get a torque wrench on about half the bolts on my intakes. (I compare the wrench pull on the ones I can't get, to the ones I have torqued with a torque wrench)
And 30 INCH- pounds is about 2 1/2 FOOT pounds, about finger tight. I don't think that's enough.....

Here's the instruction sheet for future reference...

Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 08-11-32 2186 2191 7186 7193 - Performer and Performer RPM Intake Man...png

Auto Transport Service
Back