• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I doing this right?

eagleone1983

Local time
6:45 PM
Reaction score
I know there is no standard procedure to restoring a car but here is my question any how. My plan is to gut the engine bay, remove the engine, tranny, drive shaft, and rear-end and restore everything. So I'll be scrapping all the old rubber coating and doing it or getting it rhino lined underneath as well. Then but everything back together leaving the underneath and engine bay restored and the outside/interior of the car still looking like a beast. Is this smart to do or will I run into any problems down the road? The reason I'm wanting to do it this way is so I don't dump a crap ton of money at the car all at once or have tons of parts sitting around. Plus it will allow me to drive the car sooner. For you experienced any tips on the things I'm about to do will be apprieciated. I have no references except for a few books to go off of thanks.

There's nothing wrong with that, "fixing it while driving" I think alot of people do that, thats what I've done with my 73. 1st I put new interior in it, then while replacing the clutch, I went ahead and pulled the engine to paint the engine compartment and engine, then put it back together so I can drive/enjoy it. That way it was only apart a week or two, I didn't want to to a complete tear down and rebuild like with my 69. Last thing on my list on the 73 is to get the outside painted....but that will be later on.

Jason
Engine before....
DSC_0334.jpg

Engine after....
DSC_0485.jpg

Interior....
103_3556.jpg

Here a good Idea for you to do, take pictures of everything, it makes it alot easier at reassembly time, unless your a pro.

I think restoring it while you drive it is a great idea. I plan to do something similar with my Roadrunner. The last car I did, I tore it all apart and did it all, but it takes waaay to long before you can enjoy the car, so its easy to get bored with the project when its all apart. Plus, if you get in a bind and need to sell the car, at least it will be somewhat complete and not a bunch of parts.

everybody is different, some do body first, some do drive train first, it all depends, i think that restoring it and driving it is a great idea. I've heard of too many stories about people getting into a huge resto. and are unable to drive the car for a long time and eventually just get tired of it and never finish it. I think that driving it while restoring it would be a great way to keep you motivated to keep going and eventually finish it. whatever way you go good luck!!

The level of the Restoration determines if Driving is even possible, If all you want is a really nice driver or local show car this is O.K. . but if you go all out, driving isn't an option.

The level of the Restoration determines if Driving is even possible, If all you want is a really nice driver or local show car this is O.K. . but if you go all out, driving isn't an option.

Or the car was to far gone to drive and the restoration is also a resurrection.

It's no resurrection. I've actually already drivin' it a little bit but I lost all oil pressure which is the factor that had me starting with the engine. Plus the motor in it was slow as hell. Any how I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be producing extra work by doing it this way.

I don't see any issues with that, but like someone said earlier - take pictures!! ...And notes.

Auto Transport Service
Back