• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AMD door jambs, 68-70 b-body

FYI - Look for stress cracks on the top edge of the quarter panel where it is bent over and attaches to the jamb.

Looks like it was already fixed once, with brass. Can't MIG around that stuff, probably can't get the two pieces apart either.

Attachments

• DSCN0508.jpg
    DSCN0508.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 203
I'd try to see the backside with a mirror and flash light or you should be able to feel it. That should tell you if it was fixed correctly. If not the best option is to grind out the brass and start over.

There's no inner panel in the car so I don't need a mirror I can look right at it, but there's a brace right there so I don't see any brass on the inside.

Sounds like it should be ok to me. Since its brass and not welded it was probably done around 25 years ago. If not longer.

That patch just confuses me - there's nothing to bolt the striker to and that's what cracks out.

I also found this http://www.dynamicrenovation.net/detail.php?ID=17 but got no reply to an email asking for more info.

Got a reply on the email asking about that patch, it pointed me to this.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...r_bee_restoration_door_jamb_repair/index.html

Thought that might help someone out in the future if they need to just replace the striker area on the jamb and/or door.

Making some progress here, got one jamb out without messing up the quarter. No wonder body shops don't take jobs like this, and those that do charge an arm and a leg. :)

The $64,000 question is how the jamb goes back in behind the quarter with that vertical bracket in the way. I tried a few times and decided I'd had enough for one day. It's pretty much a puzzle, and I figure there's a way to start it, turn it, and boom it falls in place. At least that's what I'm hoping for anyway.

Also wondering about the very bottom where the jamb goes behind the quarter down at the rocker panel. It was leaded over, and I'm wondering if there's a weld down there or if it's just lead holding me up.

Any info if you've been there before are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• DSCN0586.jpg
    DSCN0586.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 171
Take your map gas torch and sweat out the lead.You will find a couple of spot welds.How many welds will depend on how much they smoked or drank that day:eusa_whistle: Drill out the spot welds and pull back the qrt a little.This should help with installing the new door jambs.You will also be able to make some adjustments to make the qrt fit the door better if need be.

Cool, thanks. The quarter's not going anywhere, the jamb was messed up not the quarter. The place that race prepped it thought it'd be a good idea to bolt the windows up so they could eliminate the regulators to save weight. So they drilled through the top of the jamb. They cut out the inner panels too. I guess they knew a future owner would want to learn to weld.

There was some old rust at the bottom too, so replacing the whole thing was the cleanest way out.

Cool, thanks. The quarter's not going anywhere, the jamb was messed up not the quarter. The place that race prepped it thought it'd be a good idea to bolt the windows up so they could eliminate the regulators to save weight. So they drilled through the top of the jamb. They cut out the inner panels too. I guess they knew a future owner would want to learn to weld.

There was some old rust at the bottom too, so replacing the whole thing was the cleanest way out.

Hope it helps out.By the way what part of WV are you from.Got some family over in Seth,WV.

Go west on 64 untill their is nothing but coal river and mnt sides you are there.

I'm about as far west on 64 as you can go and still be in WV. According to google 94 is the road, and there's not much there but trees and strip mines. Definitely a BFE sort of place, but there's a lot of those here.

Sorry meant east.Yes it is a nothing little area.Swinging bridges to get across the river to your house while the power lines hanging from the bridges.Its a little scary.When I was younger it was cool,not so much any more.Yes it is off 94 or coal river road.When 64 turns into 77 and merges into 94 it all looks the same,little scary driven through there.

To be honest, I'm more comfortable in places like that than I am in the city. My wife does home health so she sees a little bit of everything, but would always rather be out in a holler than down in the slums.

FWIW, looks like if I get that little tab and bit in the curved corner of the quarter bent out a little bit the jamb may go in. That little corner bit holds it up about 1/2" from where it needs to go. But I still can't find my plumber's torch to get all the lead out so I'm going to just cave and buy a new one today.

Progress - a little bend here, a little trim there and it went right in. I was even able to get it back out - twice. Now to finish prepping so I can this one welded in and get on to the other side. I should be using Mr. Lincoln this weekend.

Attachments

• DSCN0604.jpg
    DSCN0604.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 139
Ita alot of work for such a little panel.Looks good!Keep up the good work.

Yeah it's a lot of work .. can't imagine what it'd have been like with the inner panel in place. I don't think I'd have ever gotten it in with that in place.

Speaking of which, I've got to replace both inner panels too, but they come later. First the jambs, then the mini-tubs, then the inner panels. Trying to organize the work so I have as much access as possible.

Auto Transport Service
Back