• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And this isn't on Groougle either....how many normal size washing machines does it take to fill an....

Go to 4:55 for the new standard in accurate measurements...

Well, this used to be a standard washing machine.
R.jpg

Still is. Some homesteads have gone electric here.

And this isn't on Groougle either....how many normal size washing machines does it take to fill an....​

acre of land!?? Winner gets a chicken dinner...... @kiwigtx the washing machine king but anyone can guess. And don't axe me because I don't know :D
I guess we have our answer on washing machines already, but it's funny how things sometimes dredge up old memories
in us - as this did. Who knows man, I'm getting old....But it's Ed Story Time!

Anyways, as a young man in my early 20's, I worked for a civil engineering company for a handful of years and learned all
sorts of cool stuff like surveying, subdivision layout, site utility stuff, what have you...
Our biggest client at the time was the typical greedy developer (and he surely was a real Simon Legree sort) who had
managed to accumulate a few thousand acres from folks any way he could so that he could build the "ultimate Washington
DC suburb".

He figured he'd be rich beyond his means if he did so (and turns out, he was) but he thought he'd be immortalized, too.
Legacy, all that jazz...and he was that, too....but not for what he thought he would be remembered for.
He cut every corner, bribed every official, underpaid every employee, the whole bag of tricks - and the results were just
clusters of subdivisions and townhouses as far as the eye could see, all constructed as cheaply as possible and hilariously,
also built at what could be called 9/10's scale.
They looked like the real deal, but once you got in one, you knew....but he sold them at the same price as the full-sized
builder/competitors' homes.

What's all that got to do with this topic?
As you might imagine, this construction ethos extended to site grading practices as well, especially when it came to earth
fill methods in all the hills and valleys of the area.
As part of a company exclusively serving as his PE firm, we employees all had to sign the usual agreements of swearing
secrecy and such, so a lot of the stuff I witnessed....
Like the common practice of his buying out numerous old car junkyards in the area - not for the acreage, mind - but for
the scrap cars themselves, which were then transported constantly to a construction site and summarily dumped into
holes they wanted to fill.
These old cars were typically not even crushed or compacted - they just dumped them in the hole until it reached about
two feet from the desired finished grade.
They'd toss fill dirt on top of them, then spend a couple days driving over it with heavy equipment to "finish".
Not even kidding. I saw it - often.

Now - imagine the sort of complaints and warranty claims that ensued for years after folks bought these houses and
neighborhoods became populated.
Yeah, you might say there were some "site settlement"-related issues. :)
Such were dealt with quietly and without fuss - hey, he was still tons of money ahead doing so.

Now, I won't mention actual names (the history of this town can be researched if you really have to know).
Heck, I won't even type the actual name of the development...but I might highlight it on a map:
dc.jpg
So...I don't know much about filling an acre with washing machines, but I sure as hell witnessed it done with 30s-60s
wrecked cars. :lol:

What is the difference?

My machine is approximately 650mm x 660mm....which in old money is 26-1/2" x 27" roughly....give or take a few red CH's.

So, I'm going for the answer of 9,433 washing machines to fill an acre. A Sawzall may be required in some territories. :lol:

I wonder what would happen if they were all switched on at the same time with a single large beach towel in each one. When the spin cycle come on, and the towel is lop-sided, the vibration would surely register on the Richter Scale? Similar to every Chinaman jumping up in the air at the same time. :p

You appear to be familiar with the CH scale-

Black
Brown
Red
Blonde

-from thickest to thinnest.

Auto Transport Service
Back