• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Line Loc / Roll Control Thread

Runner 68

Tarnished Bronze Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:00 AM
Reaction score
Sorry to start another thread but it would be good to have some answers to an old question. I have read the existing threads on here but need some fresh comments.
68 B Body, 4 wheel manual disc, manual trans.
Basically, is it ok to install the line loc solenoid right after the master cylinder but before the the distribution block? Installing between them makes a hell of lot more sense for several reasons if it will work.
The Hurst instructions show it to be installed after the distribution block.
Any input is appreciated.

Sorry to start another thread but it would be good to have some answers to an old question. I have read the existing threads on here but need some fresh comments.
68 B Body, 4 wheel manual disc, manual trans.
Basically, is it ok to install the line loc solenoid right after the master cylinder but before the the distribution block? Installing between them makes a hell of lot more sense for several reasons if it will work.
The Hurst instructions show it to be installed after the distribution block.
Any input is appreciated.
Sure. I'm assuming you want to lock up the front brakes.
Mike

Sure. I'm assuming you want to lock up the front brakes.
Mike
Correct sir. Thanks.
I spoke with Holley / Hurst today and the tech advised against it but something tells me he was reading from a script.
I have read and seen videos of people doing it as stated above but can't verify if it ever killed them. :D

Last edited:
I installed mine before the distribution block and had zero issues. Keep in mind that on a dual reservoir m/c the front and rear brakes are independent of each other. The distribution block only looks at pressure differential between the two for the purpose of lighting the "brakes" light if one side has less pressure than the other, but it does not redirect fluid from either side to the other.

If you install it before the distribution block, doesn't your brake fail light then come on when using it... right after you lock the front line pressure in and take your foot off of the brake that then equals zero pressure to the rears. Doesn't that shuttle the distribution block differential valve spool and turn the red light on?

If you install it before the distribution block, doesn't your brake fail light then come on when using it... right after you lock the front line pressure in and take your foot off of the brake that then equals zero pressure to the rears. Doesn't that shuttle the distribution block differential valve spool and turn the red light on?
Its been a while but I don't think it activates the "brakes" light. There is still pressure in the rear lines, just not enough to apply the brakes. If there was zero pressure due to a leak then the light would come one. Ehrenberg covered this not long ago in one of his tech articles and said the light is pretty useless since you'd be well aware of an issue without needing that light to tell you! But it does tell you when you have the parking brake applied too!

Last edited:
Why? I've only installed roll controls after the distribution block. Is there some special need to put it before the block?

Why? I've only installed roll controls after the distribution block. Is there some special need to put it before the block?

Well ... why not ?? Its just personal preference. Easier to install from above than flat on your back in my opinion !!

This reminds me, I need to install a switch and run some wires to the one on the Swinger... :thumbsup:

Some things work for awhile best to do it right the first time after is best

Mounting locations for the solenoid are limited. In my opinion there are really only two options.
1. Inner fender right below the MC.
2. Frame rail behind the distribution block.

Option two would be fine for installing as per the instructions but my fear is that it will be too close to the header which the instructions say not to do. Option 1 offers the advantage of fewer custom bent lines and a cleaner appearance, use of factory routed lines for the front, and locating the solenoid farther away from the header.

Heading out to the shop now to work on other aspects of this project. I look forward to all the input when I log in this evening.
Thanks all. I love this place.

My line locks have been after the distribution block, so it only affects the front brakes. Never had a problem.

My line locks have been after the distribution block, so it only affects the front brakes. Never had
If you have a late model m/c the line loc in the front brake line will only affect the front brakes regardless of where you place it.

When I bought my 68 Charger, it came with the line lock installed before the distribution block. Yes, it did illuminate the brake light in the dash when activated with enough pressure. I liked it as it let me know the system and distribution block pressure switch was still working. The install was clean, and easy to spot any line lock solenoid leaks from under the hood. (It only locks the front brakes)

Explain yourself !!
So you have full pressure fr/rr, engage solenoid (before the D/B ), and now release the brake pedal.. what happens to the shuttle valve with no pressure on the rear side?
And that being said, what happens to the "locked pressure" on the Fr side?

So you have full pressure fr/rr, engage solenoid (before the D/B ), and now release the brake pedal.. what happens to the shuttle valve with no pressure on the rear side?
And that being said, what happens to the "locked pressure" on the Fr side?
All you're doing is asking questions - which have been answered in previous posts if you were to read them.

I'm not saying either is right or wrong, I'm saying either works just fine but mounting before the DB is a lot easier physically.

Unless you're after "stock appearance", throw that DB block in the trash - it serves no useful purpose. Plumb the rears straight from the m/c. Plumb the fronts through the line loc into a T or Y to the front brakes. Plumb a proportioning valve in either front or rear lines as necessary.

All you're doing is asking questions - which have been answered in previous posts if you were to read them.

I'm not saying either is right or wrong, I'm saying either works just fine but mounting before the DB is a lot easier physically.

Unless you're after "stock appearance", throw that DB block in the trash - it serves no useful purpose. Plumb the rears straight from the m/c. Plumb the fronts through the line loc into a T or Y to the front brakes. Plumb a proportioning valve in either front or rear lines as necessary.
Fair enough. Just pointing out the loss of pressure through shuttle valve movement. Wouldn't be my preferred method of operation, but each his own.
And I agree with ditching the block altogether .

If you used dist block has 2 outlets for front brakes. Out of dist block to a tee through L Lock to another tee to LF RH brakes or am I missing something?

Before the block is easy... simply in and out of the LLock valve and then to the distribution block. Installing after the distribution block you have to plug one front line port on the block, install the Linelock on the other port and then coming out of the Linelock valve Tee the front lines to left and right.

Auto Transport Service
Back