• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another stupid "What's it worth" post

Hilljack68

Local time
7:20 AM
Reaction score
I've found what I think will be my next project: 64 Sport Fury, 2-door, 383, 4-speed, has fender tag. Panels are all good, but needs pans. No crumples; very little (if any) surface rust; red over black. It's a complete car, but hasn't run in 25+ years. Glass and trim are good, and all there.

I'd value your insight as to it's worth. Thanks boys!

Being in Ohio and not knowing where the car came from originally I'm sure you realize rust is the big issue here. You mentioned pans, but the cowl is a problem on these and I've even seen some of these that have been sitting a long time have rust in the rear windshield channel. Sitting doesn't help the torsion bar mounts or frame rails either. I've also seen the hood and trunk lid understructure rust. None of these are simple or easy repairs.

The car sounds exciting but we need more info to give you any reasonable guesstimate on value.

Last edited:
Does the owner think he's got a rare, one-of-48 cars with painted lugnuts that will go for a quadra-gazillion dollars at Barrett-Jackson ? If not... maybe a grand.

1699545897909.png

1699545962047.png

Rust is always key to valuation, always.

I'm sure you saw Matthon's post the other day... it should give you some idea. No offense to him, but some may say he's being optimistic, but I'd say that car would be a steal with NO rust.
FOR SALE - 1964 Belvedere 2 Door Hardtop

I'd love to have a four speed B-body of any vintage, just for the fun of it!!

Looks like a fun project.

It is a unique Plymouth being a SF and if a factory 4-speed. As posted, degree of rust. If it has been sitting on unpaved ground rusting can be extensive. When I restored my first car I had it sitting outside for 18 months (no place to put it back then) and the rust expansion just during that span was already wicked. The re-fabbing and body replacements were much more than I expected; but I had collected many new parts for it including NOS entire quarters and fenders. Still some of the skeletal framework had to be cut out and replaced, lucky as a I had buddy who worked in a body shop helping me on the side. Cowling was totally shot that didn’t appear as extensive until stripping the car down. Lol, I could write two more screens on what was done.

Engine bay photo doesn’t look bad. Don’t know, but if you’re not versed on assessing the body condition, maybe you know someone who is? If you can do fab work, big plus. Paying for it is pricy. If the seller is asking for appreciable cash for it, get a good idea what it is.

Well, BB 4-spd cars aren't growing on trees. Rotted pans aren't a big deal for me... rotted TB mounts would be. A lot of the cars I've seen have no provenance (fender tag or broadcast sheet), or the sellers think they have the rarest, most sought-after car in the country, and price it as such.
Just looking to get opinions based on the information given.

I am being optimistic, or not.
A few factors, I found it difficult to locate actual sale prices, and when compared to my 62 Dart, which turned out to be rusted beyond belief once I got into it, just the body alone, if it was as solid as my 64 I would have saved thousands of $ and hours, and I bought all 3 AMD floor pans, which are no longer available.
The Sure-Grip/rear suspension/brakes for my 62 were at least 2.5k, the 4 speed pedals $500, wheels/tires, three of the things my 64 has already.
My 62 needed everything, windlace, rubber, seat belts, brakes, on and on, and it cost me.

I actually think it's not the smartest thing to sell it, but I dig my 62 way more, I have a love/hate relationship with it after what it put me through, ha!
Buy the best body you can find, or buy what you like and learn a ton along the way. I wouldn't change anything with my 62.

A friend has a rusty, crusty 64 Fury for $8k, nice color, copper in and out, 383 auto, radio delete, but it needs every panel, probably floors, all new interior, etc.

I almost bought it, but not again. Sitting next to my 62:

20180916_134518.jpg

65 altered rear, I'm told it was done with real Chrysler panels, nicely done, rust free, no interior at all, last time I checked $6k.
Sitting next to my wagon when I bought it, and on his flatbed when he bought it 100 years ago.

20180217_120856.jpg

20211215_214508.jpg

62 Plymouth, monster 440 auto, original turquoise interior, car is immaculate, look at that grill!
Not really a Max Wedge clone, just a killer rust free car, $40k, and he does not dicker on the sticker.
Real cars for sale now in the rust belt.

20180822_160259.jpg

Ok, back on point... Opinions on my potential Fury project?

I've found what I think will be my next project: 64 Sport Fury, 2-door, 383, 4-speed, has fender tag. Panels are all good, but needs pans. No crumples; very little (if any) surface rust; red over black. It's a complete car, but hasn't run in 25+ years. Glass and trim are good, and all there.

I'd value your insight as to it's worth. Thanks boys!
Does the owner of it have a price in mind?

383 with it, does it have the bb bell, trans and shifter, 8 3/4, bb k still there?

The way it sits it looks more like a parts car. Has not run in 25 plus years is an understatement. The way it sits 1,500.00

The exception is the 62 sb and bb k are the same.

Auto Transport Service
Back