• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another stupid "What's it worth" post

The "$1,000" and "$1,500" seem pretty low for a BB 4spd car that may just need pans.

Hard to believe but 5k in 64 is now 48k but 500 for that car back then would be less than 5k today and for a car in bad shape back then would be more like 100 bucks but it would be more like 100 bucks in 1970. Heck, I bought a 69 383 Fury in 75 that was running and driving for 250 bucks and it wasn't rusty at all. It was even registered and I did drive it and had a blast with it!

All present. Plant is out, but he has it. The same 383 it was born with.
$5k is not an unreasonable starting point. And I can with almost certainty predict of hidden issues. (They all do.)

I'm guessing seller wants $5k. You would grab at $2500. The bid somewhere between.

If you are really feeling it? Then nothing wrong with leaning more towards the seller's price needs.

JMO.

I can with almost certainty predict of hidden issues. (They all do.)
Oh I know it. A friend of mine recently bought a 66 GTO that looked pretty solid in the seller's garage. Once he got to tearing it down, he discovered rot... on top of rot... on top of rot.

Has it sat outside for the last 25 years - in the location in the photo?
All those twigs and leaves sitting on the cowl concern me.
$5k if it's solid everywhere apart from the floors. $1,500 if it's rusty everywhere.

Has it sat outside for the last 25 years - in the location in the photo?
All those twigs and leaves sitting on the cowl concern me.
$5k if it's solid everywhere apart from the floors. $1,500 if it's rusty everywhere.
It was recently moved there from a different spot... but still outside. I completely agree with the $5K if it's just pan rot.

Get it for as Low as possible. Depending on what your goal is with it, it Will be a Money Pit. A friend picked up a Complete Driver, and Very Nice, 440, 4Spd, in Florida, for $24K several years ago. I told him to put Me in His Will for it !!!

$1,500 in parts alone, correct bellhousing is $500, a core 383 is $500, trans, shifter, radiator, rearend.
Sport Fury, original 383 engine with a manual, I don't even care myself about matching #s.
You said the trim is all there, a grill alone is a few hundred or more, if you can find it, or even the 383 hood emblem.

I'd go there with cash, a trailer, jack, something to lay down on, and check all the metal, upper/lower cowl, firewall inside and out, torsion bar cross member, frame rails, trunk, etc., don't forget the upper control arm mounts, mine were rusted out, just the U shaped mount.

There must be 64 Sport Fury bb 4 speeds around all over the place, except in these parts.

If this was my next and only project, a car I want to spend time and money on and drive and enjoy, with all of the original parts and trim, and the starting point is $5k, no brainer, I'd be coming home with it.

Matthon, I think you're right on the money... (pun intended). As long as the under-bracing is good... $4-5K all day long. Maybe I'm a dope, or maybe you just have to love that body style.

Thanks for all the input boys. As always: some more lucid than others. Ain't this forum great!

Matthon, I think you're right on the money... (pun intended). As long as the under-bracing is good... $4-5K all day long. Maybe I'm a dope, or maybe you just have to love that body style.

Thanks for all the input boys. As always: some more lucid than others. Ain't this forum great!
There are lots of buyers that also not so lucid and suffer later from buyers remorse. You have offered very little picture wise for anyone to make a accurate evaluation. Also by your descriptions you have not been in the trunk or crawled underneath it. Again you asked for opinions so no sense insulting the people that have given them. When I find something that I want to buy I do not post it on the internet. I buy it and deal with consequences later if any. Sounds like you have your mind made up to buy it so lets see what you really got when you get it home. Question ----Have you actually looked at the car and inventoried what was there?

The "$1,000" and "$1,500" seem pretty low for a BB 4spd car that may just need pans.

You asked for opinions. Thinking that car just needs floor pans is a dream.
First of all, there were no pics when I posted my off-handed comment. Now I see "2" pics, seriously, I don't see more than $1500 as others already noted. I can tell you from decades of experience ... where there's rust... there's more. What it's worth to me and what it's worth to you, are two different things. If you're doing most, if not all the work, maybe it's worth it. If not, a restored car will be less expensive. That's an ordinary car, nothing special. Any shell can be made into a stick car. Hey, if you like it, go for it, whatever floats your boat. As a renowned member here says.... just my opinion.

Buyer: How much?
Seller: What do you think it's worth?
Buyer: Would you take $5000?
Seller: Yeah.... i guess
Seller to wife: I would have taken $1500

There are lots of buyers that also not so lucid and suffer later from buyers remorse. You have offered very little picture wise for anyone to make a accurate evaluation. Also by your descriptions you have not been in the trunk or crawled underneath it. Again you asked for opinions so no sense insulting the people that have given them. When I find something that I want to buy I do not post it on the internet. I buy it and deal with consequences later if any. Sounds like you have your mind made up to buy it so lets see what you really got when you get it home. Question ----Have you actually looked at the car and inventoried what was there?
I apologize if I insulted anyone; that was not my intention. I agree about buyers remorse. I've walked away from dozens of potential projects, because I see the likelihood of them being money pits... as this may be as well. No, I have not seen the car with my own eyes - it's almost 2,000 miles away. I figured before I blow good money on a plane ticket, I'd ask the clan. I'll be talking with the guy more today, and having him get more pics of the under-belly. He's older, and not email/pic savvy. Again.. sorry if I caused offense.

I apologize if I insulted anyone; that was not my intention. I agree about buyers remorse. I've walked away from dozens of potential projects, because I see the likelihood of them being money pits... as this may be as well. No, I have not seen the car with my own eyes - it's almost 2,000 miles away. I figured before I blow good money on a plane ticket, I'd ask the clan. I'll be talking with the guy more today, and having him get more pics of the under-belly. He's older, and not email/pic savvy. Again.. sorry if I caused offense.
2,000 miles away, Plane tickets,Hauling, etc. That 5k car now became a 7.5k car.

I can tell you that if I wanted that for $5k I would still do everything I could to get it for as little as possible. I have no shame when negotiating.

If the parts are worth the asking price or more, why doesn't he just sell them? Answer: Time, labor and effort.

I’m reminded of the many times my wife would earnestly ask my opinion about something and then want to argue with me about the input I provided. I finally learned to stop falling into that black hole. It took too much energy. You should do what you’re comfortable with and enjoy the ride.

Auto Transport Service
Back