• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any auto upholsterers in Iowa

hyde-park

Local time
11:05 AM
Reaction score
Hello All, Does anyone in central Iowa know of an automotive upholsterer that is currently accepting work. This fall will make it two years since I had contacted a semi-local shop to do the job. I have the seat and the materials. I kept getting pushed back and back. At this point they are not accepting any more new work. Other shops are either shut down, or the owners are having health issues. Very frustrating to say the least. At this point I have about $1600 into the thing including the other parts that have been jobbed out for other kinds of work. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all in advance.

This is a part of the restoration that most end up doing themselves. With a little mechanical ability, a few cheap tools, and a large flat work surface, it's not too difficult. You'll find old threads here of others who were in your same shoes, and finished their own, with a li'l coaxing, and insight. Watching you tube vids, and reading posts here, should equip you well. Here's a before and after pic of one of my front seats, that i did, and i'm a rookie.

20170703_152535.jpg 20170708_223856.jpg

I did the ones in my 68 charger. Was pretty intimidating at first, but actually was pretty easy to do. The best part is, if it doesn’t look right, just cut the hog ring off and try again. Take your time and they will come out fine :thumbsup:

All you need is a extra set on hands, some hog rings, and the pliers that go with them. Seriously, do some homework and DIY it! You'll give yourself a big pat on the back and your pocket book will love you for it! Good Luck

Hello All, Does anyone in central Iowa know of an automotive upholsterer that is currently accepting work. This fall will make it two years since I had contacted a semi-local shop to do the job. I have the seat and the materials. I kept getting pushed back and back. At this point they are not accepting any more new work. Other shops are either shut down, or the owners are having health issues. Very frustrating to say the least. At this point I have about $1600 into the thing including the other parts that have been jobbed out for other kinds of work. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all in advance.

Do you have pre made set of covers like from legendary ect ? Or just a big roll ?
Are you replacing the buns / foam ?

Do you have pre made set of covers like from legendary ect ? Or just a big roll ?
Are you replacing the buns / foam ?
I have 2.5 yards of the fabric and 2.5 yards of the cloth. The covers are going to have be made from scratch.The plan is have it match the pattern on the rear seat. As far as needing foam or padding, I don't know at this point. This isn't going to be one of those easy peasy deals. I'm way over my head here. I'd gladly pay someone for their skill and expertise on something like this.

I have 2.5 yards of the fabric and 2.5 yards of the cloth. The covers are going to have be made from scratch.The plan is have it match the pattern on the rear seat. As far as needing foam or padding, I don't know at this point. This isn't going to be one of those easy peasy deals. I'm way over my head here. I'd gladly pay someone for their skill and expertise on something like this.

I know a couple who have built street rods for years, she does all the upholstery work on them.
I will check and see if they want a outside job or if she will do one, I know in years past they have done some work for others but I cant say for sure until I speak with them.
I will let you know one way or the other.
If they are interested I will just get you guys together.

I know a couple who have built street rods for years, she does all the upholstery work on them.
I will check and see if they want a outside job or if she will do one, I know in years past they have done some work for others but I cant say for sure until I speak with them.
I will let you know one way or the other.
If they are interested I will just get you guys together.
That would be fantastic! Thank you!

Prostitch did my headliner in my fury, did great. I have similar custom work to yours I want them to eventually do when I convert my 72 from bench to buckets

Joel at Boss Custom Interiors in Evansdale (Waterloo area) does over the top work. He is not cheap but he is show car quality. He has had numerous cars at Sema and a Riddler award winner as well.

joel mattex.jpg

Joel at Boss Custom Interiors in Evansdale (Waterloo area) does over the top work. He is not cheap but he is show car quality. He has had numerous cars at Sema and a Riddler award winner as well.

View attachment 974639
I'm originally from Evansdale believe it or not. A fellow Mopar buddy of mine who still lives in Waterloo mentioned Boss Custom Interiors this past weekend. I was in the area visiting family and I couldn't find it.

I'm originally from Evansdale believe it or not. A fellow Mopar buddy of mine who still lives in Waterloo mentioned Boss Custom Interiors this past weekend. I was in the area visiting family and I couldn't find it.
Let me now if you need help.

Help as in finding it? Yes. Going back next weekend for Cedar Falls Raceways "Night of Fire". So I'll be in the area.
1 block north of Lafayette Rd on Brown Street. . I should be at Night of Fire. Our Moparr club is volunteering at the track.

Help as in finding it? Yes. Going back next weekend for Cedar Falls Raceways "Night of Fire". So I'll be in the area.
Are you thinking about Mopar Max in late August? $5000 win on Sat. Gamblers race for all brands o Sat. and $5000 to win on Sunday. Mopars against the world. Take that GM and FOMCO money!

Are you thinking about Mopar Max in late August? $5000 win on Sat. Gamblers race for all brands o Sat. and $5000 to win on Sunday. Mopars against the world. Take that GM and FOMCO money!
Going to that event for the swap meet on saturday then its off to Dubuque for Mopars on the Mississippi on sunday.

Oh I did find Boss's. Google maps with their spy car cam is a wonderful thing, lol.

It is a simple building. You would never know that Riddler Award cars come out of that shop. He is tops. $100 an hour though but worth it. Hope to see you there.

It is a simple building. You would never know that Riddler Award cars come out of that shop. He is tops. $100 an hour though but worth it.
l
It is a simple building. You would never know that Riddler Award cars come out of that shop. He is tops. $100 an hour though but worth it. Hope to see you there.
I wonder how many hours it would take to do this bucket/bench seat combo?

Auto Transport Service
Back