• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any experience with AMD fenders?

Sublime70

Local time
3:24 AM
Reaction score
Just joined the forum today and figured I'd start right off with a question. Does anyone have any experience with AMD fenders - in particular the Charger fenders? I've heard good things about the quality and fit, but I never get my hopes up with repro parts. My fenders have several issues which are making me consider trying a set of new ones as opposed to trying to repair them. Any experience in how they line up with the doors, body lines, etc.? They are about $1200 a pair, so not a cheap investment and I'd like to hear from someone who has installed one or more and see what they thought.

I doubt you will find anyone who will tell you there is a better piece available than what AMD has on the market.

That's what I've heard. I guess my question is not whether there's anything else available that is better - more how close to an OEM fit will I get with it.

Check out the September issue of "Mopar Muscle" they did an article on the new Road Runner fenders and how they fit. I don't want to ruin it for you but it turns out very good.

I'll check that article out. Seems like everything I hear is that they make a great product. I think I'm still recovering mentally from a project I did years ago. I put together a 68 Mustang and bought repro fenders for it - had a large gap between the doors and fenders that I couldn't adjust out no matter how uch adjusting I did. Maybe that's what I get for playing with a Ford lol.

We have all made mistakes in the past, as long as your on the right road now.
I do have to say, though, if I were to play with a Ford on purpose, it would be a `68 fastback.

AMD fenders

I ended up having to buy quarters and fenders for my 69 road runner from AMD. It was alot of money that I did not anticipate, but they are excellent quality and they fit perfect. I did go through Evil Bay and bought from a drop shipper. I negotiated with him some and he gave me a dsicount, so you may want to look at the route.

I just put a front end ,fenders and hood from AMD on a 69 Charger. The fender were pretty good i'd say if you're building a driver scuff em prime block and paint. If you're looking for show quality you'll spend a little time adjusting. But over all very nice product door and hood gaps are real good.

Yeah, they are definitely a pricey investment. If they fit good though it's less painful reaching into the wallet. Hey Coyote, do you remember which e-bay guy you bought from? The truck frieght shipping price is a killer - I was trying to think of a way to get them home if I bought them at Carlisle next year to save on the shipping, but renting a van would be just as expensive. Dodgert - I'm glad to hear your gaps came out good. I figured on a lot of block sanding anyway, but it was the gaps I was sweating over. I haven't heard bad things from anyone yet, so I guess I'll bite the bullet and spend the money after Christmas and pic up a pair. Is scuffing ok or do you need to remove all that black coating before priming?
Detmatt - my Mustang unfortunately wasn't a fastback, but I can't complaint - I got it for nothing and it kept me out of my wife's hair for a couple of summers lol. Plus it was good for brushing up on body work and paint skills that I didn't want to get rusty.

I used a pair of AMD fenders on a customers 68 Charger R/T last week , overall the fit was good , and they lined up well, I had to work with them a bit, but the AMD parts I have used are above and beyond most reproduction parts in the fit department.

Thanks man. That's what I'm heaing more and more - that they are the best on the market. If you have a sec, give me an idea of what kind of tweeking you had to do when you say you had to work with then a bit so I have a heads up of what to expect. On a side note, I cut off one of my quarters today to install a new skin. Didn't get to hang it today though - spent the day doing some rust proofing in hard to get places while the quarter is off and some repair work to the edge of the outer wheelhouse.

Just picked up the latest "Mopar Action" mag., they have done a story on the `68 Road Runner that the guys over at AMD plucked out of a junk yard and are beginning to restore. According to the story, they are going to restore it as we would, only replacing the parts that really need to be replaced and of course using all AMD parts. Should be an interesting story and very familiar to those of us doing the same.

I'll see if I can follow that story and see how they make out with the replacement parts. Since they make the parts, I'm sure it will have a happy ending but they might have some good tips we can all use.

I test fitted one of my trunk extensions today that I bought from Year One. Looks like the rear corner is going to need some serious reshaping to allow the quarter skin to rest in place correctly. No real shock. I'm anxious to get the skin on and see what the car looks like with a clean, unrotted quarter. I think my wife has me committed to getting the Christmas decorations out of the attic the day after Thanksgiving, so the quarter may have to wait until Saturday.

Post pics when you get around to it, I already got the Christmas lights up and I am chomping at the bit to work on my car this weekend!.

I know the feeling. I snuck out to the garage tonight after dinner for a while. Got the trunk extension welded on and re-formed. Test fitted (again) the quarter skin and I think it's ready for some welding. Might have attempted it tonight but I need a second pair of hands. Took some pictures throughout the process so I'll put some up this weekend after I attach the skin.

my 68 charger got punched in the nose last year. I used an AMD drivers fender and hood. The hood required some filler to get it perfectly flat and smooth, but it fits very well. The fender was perfect in every way.

accscene1a2.jpg

fender front closeuplllll.JPG

IMG_0333.jpg

fenderhoodgaptopviewsmall.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back