• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Gear Vendors owners here?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:34 AM
Reaction score
After years of dealing with 4.10 gears in the Charger, I finally installed a Gear Vendors overdrive unit. I wanted to drive this car more than just within a 20 mile radius, so this unit will really help. I slipped in a 3.23 gear for last years trip to LA for the Spring Fling, but swapping the diff is always a compromise. The overdrive ratio of the GV is .78.
The install was pretty easy. I modified the stock trans crossmember to allow me to use a spool mount, and dimpled two small areas to clear the GV case. The stock Charger driveshaft was stowed away. This particular GV unit has a fixed yoke, so I had to use a driveshaft with a slip yoke built in. The wiring was amazingly simple. On the road, it simply feels like a 4 speed auto trans. Momentarily after the upshift to 3rd, it shifts into OD. The 4.10 chunk developed a whine, so I swapped in a quiet 3.91 SG. This makes the final drive in OD around 3.05. Hopefully I'll do a little better than the 11 mpg I got last year with the 3.23 gear.
Are ther any members here with experiences with this unit?
Greg

Attachments

• DSCN1095.jpg
    DSCN1095.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 281
  • 493 (2).jpg
    493 (2).jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 245
I you go back in the posts a few days,,someone posted about gear vendors. i cant find it tho maybe youll have better luck . nice car by the way!

I own 3 for over 20 years and am a dealer for GV for more than 10 now.

You can remove the fixed yoke and use a regular slip yoke, sounds like you bought a truck version, the cars don't come with a bolt on yoke or the deep pan.

I would have removed the end yoke and used a slip yoke, and added a AL shaft

I"ve been driving mine for a week now, and really like it. i had to hammer quite a lot on the tunnel to make room, and used my driveshaft after it was shortened as my overdrive unit uses a slip joint. too early to tell on an increase in gas mileage. installed in a '68 Charger with a 383 and 3.23 gears.

The whine may have been a pinion angle problem. Recheck your angles and correct if needed. (Ran into this problem recently). I got a good friend who is running a GV behind a Turbo 6.0 LS/4L80E in his Ford unibody truck. Stupid fast and gets 19+ mpg.

The 4.10 set whined before and after the GV swap, and the 3.91 gears are as quiet as can be!
I am curious as th which speedo gear to use. Theres a .889 90 degree adapter on the side, and a 40 tooth gear inside. The car reads 53 compared to another car going 60 I have 27 3/4" tires. I tried to swap in a 38 tooth gear but the speedo gear housing broke on removal. I found a few housings in local yards, but the threads are too big to fit the 90 degree adapter. I may try to omit the adapter, but that will require me to dimple the floor for speedo cable clearance. The .889 is a REDUCTION box, so the 38 tooth gear actually spec's out to 33.74. I guess I either need a 34 tooth gear or a new housing to retain the 90 degree adapter. Of COURSE this happens on a weekend with Gear Vendors closed. I need to have it together for thursday mornings trip to LA !

The 4.10 set whined before and after the GV swap, and the 3.91 gears are as quiet as can be!
I am curious as th which speedo gear to use. Theres a .889 90 degree adapter on the side, and a 40 tooth gear inside. The car reads 53 compared to another car going 60 I have 27 3/4" tires. I tried to swap in a 38 tooth gear but the speedo gear housing broke on removal. I found a few housings in local yards, but the threads are too big to fit the 90 degree adapter. I may try to omit the adapter, but that will require me to dimple the floor for speedo cable clearance. The .889 is a REDUCTION box, so the 38 tooth gear actually spec's out to 33.74. I guess I either need a 34 tooth gear or a new housing to retain the 90 degree adapter. Of COURSE this happens on a weekend with Gear Vendors closed. I need to have it together for thursday mornings trip to LA !

Well duh! You know it won't break when you actually have the time to fix it. I'll see if I can come up with some info on it.

Auto Transport Service
Back