• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Golfers?

I love golf and am somewhat obsessed with it.....I golfed a bit when I was in my early 20s. Moved and didnt golf much until covid. I golf as much as I can now, but Im so fat and out of shape I am not as good as I used to be.
No doubt, your in a whole LOT of company.
Arnold Palmer was asked by someone how they could lower their scores. He said use an eraser, lol.

You know the number one rule for us duffers, you are only supposed the remember the good shots during a round, even if it's only one.:lol:
I consider it a good round (I usually play 9 walking) if I get at least one good drive, one good fairway shot, one good approach, one good chip, one or more pars and decent putting. My goal is bogey golf. I started playing before I was a teenager, and at my current rate of progression I expect to be a scratch golfer in another 346 years.

Last edited:
Years ago I tried golfing.
Then I tried bowling.
No matter how bad the shot the bowling ball comes back to you.
Bowling became my hobby.
:drinks:

I find it's easier to direct a 16 lb bowling ball where I want it, than a 1/10 lb golf ball.
Edit:typing (slowly) while 1967 Coronet was posting.

I'd say the un-stepped on difference is negligible compared to what happens when people walk right up to the cup and nip the edge right at the hole, especially at the country club/higher end courses. The ones I used to play felt like you were putting on concrete with slopes running 26 different directions!
That's why proper etiquette players stay away from the cup when retrieving as the OP said. I've gone from playing 3-4 times a week in my 20s and 30s to playing about once every year or two....too much time and money.
Well, too much to compete with owning a Mopar project anyway!:p

This never gets old!

ee90e95556eef9fbad03a66dbbd6a99a.gif

As an avid Golfer and having played in numerous tournaments as well, and having worked as a greens keeper, etc., it is the natural earth effect from weighted compression around the circumference of the hole/cup. This is caused by the individual's weight forcing the earth downward. As a result, the cup being already in a dug hole is pushed upward bringing the surrounding soil up with it when the compression occurs. It is just the nature of it and yes it does cause a slight mounding around the cup from the repeated stepping of the player. After the end of the day, the earth /greens return to their natural state and the same thing occurs all over again. That is why when one is putting you need a firm but controlled stroke to sink the put and if not done so then the mounding takes over due to gravity and the ball breaks either right or left or worse SHORT!!! Never Up, Never In...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

I consider it a good round (I usually play 9 walking) if I get at least one good drive, one good fairway shot, one good approach, one good chip, one or more pars and decent putting. My goal is bogey golf. I started playing before I was a teenager, and at my current rate of progression I expect to be a scratch golfer in another 346 years.
This sounds exactly like me. Although I havent played any golf in about 5 years now. I do still have my clubs

My idea of a good round is if I end the day with the same ball I started with , it was a good day and time to have a beer.

As an avid Golfer and having played in numerous tournaments as well, and having worked as a greens keeper, etc., it is the natural earth effect from weighted compression around the circumference of the hole/cup. This is caused by the individual's weight forcing the earth downward. As a result, the cup being already in a dug hole is pushed upward bringing the surrounding soil up with it when the compression occurs. It is just the nature of it and yes it does cause a slight mounding around the cup from the repeated stepping of the player. After the end of the day, the earth /greens return to their natural state and the same thing occurs all over again. That is why when one is putting you need a firm but controlled stroke to sink the put and if not done so then the mounding takes over due to gravity and the ball breaks either right or left or worse SHORT!!! Never Up, Never In...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:
So, two things, its worse than I projected, it is squishing, and it is also erupting.:(
Main takeaway, the latter golfers have it tougher putting than the early golfers.
:thankyou:

My idea of a good round is if I end the day with the same ball I started with , it was a good day and time to have a beer.
I usually wouldn't wait for the 19th hole to have a beer. More or less, if I screwed up the first holes I figured my goose was toasted that round so would indulge a little more. "Where the hell is the beer cart gal?"

I usually wouldn't wait for the 19th hole to have a beer. More or less, if I screwed up the first holes I figured my goose was toasted that round so would indulge a little more. "Where the hell is the beer cart gal?"
Oh I do keep an eye out for the beer cart ladies.
But on shear dumb luck, Im having a decent round. I'll hold off on the beer ,, And thats a RARE occasion on 99% of my golf days

Most times, I have a beer in my hand by 2nd,,,MAYBE 3rd hole

Oh I do keep an eye out for the beer cart ladies.
But on shear dumb luck, Im having a decent round. I'll hold off on the beer ,, And thats a RARE occasion on 99% of my golf days

Most times, I have a beer in my hand by 2nd,,,MAYBE 3rd hole
I sometimes bowled better with a beer or three under my belt. I'm guessing it wouldn't help a golf game much.

I sometimes bowled better with a beer or three under my belt. I'm guessing it wouldn't help a golf game much.
It was a liquor-fest in my bowling days, dang, Thursday and Friday night leagues. Can’t say though if I remember getting too squirrely having a couple beers golfing, well ok, other than a few outings and golf vacations when I knew I got too much in the tank. One guy I played golf with in a couple outings (total asshole) but he was a biz client, would just get stupid drunk. One time he was toasted before we teed off, stocked with a bloody-Mary and beer in his cart. On the 4th or 5th hole, he thinks he had to blow a fart. Ahh it was a tad more than that and he was wearing white shorts. And he wasn't embarrassed thinking it just hilarious. Glad I wasn’t riding in the cart with him. His company's insurance agent rode with him. Longer story with that goofball, but I’ve digressed already..

This sounds exactly like me. Although I havent played any golf in about 5 years now. I do still have my clubs

That is easy for me, I put one in my pocket, and plunk the other 12 in my bag into the water randomly over 18 holes.
Do I warrant a beer?:bananadance:

Auto Transport Service
Back