• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Golfers?

j-c-c-62

Local time
8:40 AM
Reaction score
I have had this thought for years:

Putting greens by nature have a certain amount of give/compressibility and are likely to be high in moisture, all good things.

Every golfer must approach every hole at least once to retrieve their golf ball.

Every proper etiquette golfer never steps closer than 1' and seldom more than 2' from the hole when retrieving their ball.

Often a golfer will stand on a single foot (full body weight) closest to the hole when retrieving their ball.

At the end of a round on the last day that would be 52 players on every hole putting full body weight on a concentrated area right next to an area that has never been stepped on that day.

I have always wondered how much effective rise surrounds the cup that is un-stepped on.

In today's match on TV, with some rather unique camera angles, the rise looked to be visible even to the naked eye, and the ball a few times seemed to divert in response to the rise when slightly on a off center approach.

Well?

Last edited:
I would think that the greens being moisture-rich would bounce back and flatten back out from people stepping on them.

Wife and I play. We both suck but have fun together on a Sunday morning.

I would think that the greens being moisture-rich would bounce back and flatten back out from people stepping on them.
How would that explain the rise I thought I saw?

Additionally, this would not be a case of everyone has the same green to play, since later starters would have a greater compressed (less flat) then the first players out in a match.

And yes, I also the game, and enjoy more watching my sons play who luckily tolerate a round with me.

How would that explain the rise I thought I saw?

Additionally, this would not be a case of everyone has the same green to play, since later starters would have a greater compressed (less flat) then the first players out in a match.

And yes, I also the game, and enjoy more watching my sons play who luckily tolerate a round with me.
Rise? As in a hump/depression near the cup? Im not envisioning what you mean.

In all the years when I played the game, seemed to be more about people shredding the surface around the cup – foot dragging or twisting, but then there is the matter of green maintenance (including fairways). Some courses had crummier greens than others. There’s a lot of engineering, though seems logical the green has to compress and it recovers. This has to be covered somewhere. Always liked it when someone I was playing with walked over my putting line. Lol, could be a reason I missed putts..

I used to play on a couple golf leagues but tore my rotater in my right shoulder. I can still hit the ball but its all guesswork after I strike it as to where it goes.
But the beer still goes down easy.
As to your question I've never played the real high end courses so I've never seen that but it sounds plausible.
Never see it on some of the dog tracks I play.

Imagine here the cup never moving.
Now imagine a 180lb? person hopping around the entire cup one foot away, say 30 times, on one foot.
the result IMO, the cup would look like it rises ever so slightly, when in reality it would be the surrounding turf being compressed.
Like putting onto a hubcap?

Imagine here the cup never moving.
Now imagine a 180lb? person hopping around the entire cup one foot away, say 30 times, on one foot.
the result IMO, the cup would look like it rises ever so slightly, when in reality it would be the surrounding turf being compressed.
Like putting onto a hubcap?
Gotcha now. I think the putting surface would bounce back somewhat. But you do have a point I never thought of though.

They probably put the hole on a mound that was already there. Pin placement can make things a lot harder. 4 putts are no fun but they're fun to watch! And if you start out the day with one, it's hard to mentally recover from.

Maybe, but I have seen the effect I thought in my own rounds, as I often play late in the day after dozens of golfers before me, and the pin not being moved for a day or two.
The epiphany today for me was the ground level putting green multiple hole TV camera shots that made it stand out, and watching the ball curve last minute. Small mounds on any good green are usually frowned upon unless on a putt putt novelty green.

Maybe, but I have seen the effect I thought in my own rounds, as I often play late in the day after dozens of golfers before me, and the pin not being moved for a day or two.
The epiphany today for me was the ground level putting green multiple hole TV camera shots that made it stand out, and watching the ball curve last minute. Small mounds on any good green are usually frowned upon unless on a putt putt novely green..
Could have been the camera angle too. If they were putting on a hubcap, the ball would hop at the last second, no?

They probably put the hole on a mound that was already there. Pin placement can make things a lot harder. 4 putts are no fun but they're fun to watch! And if you start out the day with one, it's hard to mentally recover from.
Lol, all the memories of when I was playing, the ecstasy of victory and the agony of defeat (heard that somewhere). There is a par-3 hole at a course I used to play on a league. Has an elevated green set into the woods, severely sloping terrain around the sides and front of the green, not very long, but looked longer by the elevation. One of those where you had to figure btw one to two clubs longer, but the green also sloped, a lot, from back to front. Hit too much club ending up at the back of the green, but the hole was near the front. Damn. Tap the ball and it rolled, rolled off the front of the green needing a pitch back. Well another damn…pitch it too short and it will roll back off the green, where you’re standing or farther, too far and facing another sharply downhill putt. I was on in one and off with a six...

Lol, all the memories of when I was playing, the ecstasy of victory and the agony of defeat (heard that somewhere). There is a par-3 hole at a course I used to play on a league. Has an elevated green set into the woods, severely sloping terrain around the sides and front of the green, not very long, but looked longer by the elevation. One of those where you had to figure btw one to two clubs longer, but the green also sloped, a lot, from back to front. Hit too much club ending up at the back of the green, but the hole was near the front. Damn. Tap the ball and it rolled, rolled off the front of the green needing a pitch back. Well another damn…pitch it too short and it will roll back off the green, where you’re standing or farther, too far and facing another sharply downhill putt. I was on in one and off with a six...
You know the number one rule for us duffers, you are only supposed the remember the good shots during a round, even if it's only one.:lol:

Never hit a golf ball in my life, was too fearful of discovering another something that I loved to do with my limited time. But, I lived in Augusta Ga. for 35 years and got badges and tickets to the Augusta National every chance I could for the Masters. Had a ball every time I went and for sure see why the sport becomes an obsession to many. I would have been one , Im sure. Still enjoy watching the pro's play on tv and do envy all y'all that get to smack the crap out of that little ball.....

Never hit a golf ball in my life, was too fearful of discovering another something that I loved to do with my limited time. But, I lived in Augusta Ga. for 35 years and got badges and tickets to the Augusta National every chance I could for the Masters. Had a ball every time I went and for sure see why the sport becomes an obsession to many. I would have been one , Im sure. Still enjoy watching the pro's play on tv and do envy all y'all that get to smack the crap out of that little ball.....
I was a nut for golf for around 30 years, had many great times playing with my now departed father and playing with buds, golf vacations, outings. Couple injuries forced me to stop playing for a while, meantime not finding the gumption to play anymore, been about 7 years since I played. Every time I think of it, I have other stuff I can spend 2 to 5 hours getting done.
Something did stick in my mind though - some people in a rush behind and those f-ing around in front wasting time. Like a traffic jam.
Got to thinking if I want this 'experience' I can take a drive on the expressway..

I love golf and am somewhat obsessed with it.....I golfed a bit when I was in my early 20s. Moved and didnt golf much until covid. I golf as much as I can now, but Im so fat and out of shape I am not as good as I used to be.

Auto Transport Service
Back