• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Jeep folks here?

Yes there are a few jeep people here, my wyfe owns four!!! She has a 48 and a 50 jeepster one has the 226 hurricane and the other has a yuck 350, she has a 1960 station wagon and her daily 2018 driver, all in excellent shape body wise. Her dad passed a little over a year ago and didn"t keep them up for a few years, 83 years old. all were covered with car covers and in garages. So i have got my hands full trying to get everything running again! So yea, theres a few of us that are jeep people, whether we want to be or not lol Dave.

2013 Grand Cherokee, everyday car v8

View attachment 1400476
I recently had to get a newer vehicle as my 94 Caravan has left me stranded a couple times. Later to find out that I have a dead alternator. So I picked up a 13 GC for my new DD, sweet ride to say the least! The Caravan now sits next to the garage waiting for me to do something with it, I think it's going to get donated to the DAV as I'm one myself and don't know of a better place to send it!
DAV=Disabled American Vets

In 87 I bought a new Red Jeep Comanche and then another new Black Comanche Eliminator in 91. I loved them both, the 87 being a 5 speed and the 91 was an automatic. Jeeps are great and fun to drive.

I've always been a Jeep guy. In the 70's I worked at a new Jeep dealer, and when we got married there were no Limos. They were all brand new CJ's with no tops!
20230317_133546.png

Started with this one, seldom seen, 62 FC 150. And yes, that was my 73 Roadrunner also.
20161113_204347.jpg

Many others, mostly CJ's and Wranglers (last count 8?) My current one is a 95 YJ daily winter driver, 4cyl 5spd - ultra dependable.
20230317_132653.jpg
20230317_132803.jpg

About 4 years ago someone gifted me a 98 Wrangler with the 4.0 and 5 speed. It was in nice shape but it had over 225k miles on it. It had all the options available and then some....only down side was that it got rolled and that ruined the hard top so when I got it, the soft top was on it. Talk about noisy going down the highway. The guy fixed it and drove it for a few years after the 'easy' roll and it ran great. I'm just not a Jeep fan and sold it about a year later when I found a pretty nice 96 Dakota. From what I understand, the prices have gone up on them and a lot!

Years ago I posted about this same Jeep. The guy that owned it took a 4x8 trailer with a homemade wood box to pick up some of his belongings in El Paso after a nasty divorce. The trailer was packed and so was the Jeep and he called me up shortly after leaving El Paso to ask why would the engine would be running on the hot side going down the freeway. I just started laughing when he said 80-85! Dummy....told him to slow down to 75 and see if that didn't help. He didn't want to slow down but told him to try it for several miles to see if that's the problem. He did and it cooled down. Then I jumped his butt for going so fast with a SWB vehicle pulling a trailer.

Never have liked riding with him because his driving sucks and am surprised he never rolled the thing on some freeway instead of in the woods.

I've always been a Jeep guy. In the 70's I worked at a new Jeep dealer, and when we got married there were no Limos. They were all brand new CJ's with no tops!
View attachment 1434951
Started with this one, seldom seen, 62 FC 150. And yes, that was my 73 Roadrunner also.
View attachment 1434946
Many others, mostly CJ's and Wranglers (last count 8?) My current one is a 95 YJ daily winter driver, 4cyl 5spd - ultra dependable.
View attachment 1434949View attachment 1434950
Wasn't there a public out cry among Jeep fans about the square headlights when they came out??

Wasn't there a public out cry among Jeep fans about the square headlights when they came out??
Yes - when the YJ came out, 'Jeep people' got upset. Some Tshirt and sticker makers got rich tho making items that said 'Real Jeeps Have Round Headlights'.
The stigma has stuck as YJs are definitely the cheapest of the "CJ style" jeeps available. And there is naught wrong with them. Well, except for maybe the ones with the 'aero' body work...:rolleyes:
Naturally tho, when it gets right down to it, a square headlight Jeep is actually the best Jeep...when the headlights are attached to an XJ! :D

The Liberty's seem to be unloved as well. I love the two '06's we have, but they are diesel though, which brings on it's own cult following.

Yes there was. I personally have changed quite a few as there was a retro kit at some point back to round lights. I don't know if they still exist or not, but the square lights don't bother me.
The Jeeper crowd nowadays are extremely proud of the square lights. YJs are considered the last "real" Jeep mainly because of solid axles. They also used the same exact body tub as a CJ7.
Sure, the 97 & up (there were no 96) ride better, are wider, safer, etc.
If you want a "real" Jeep experience, it's 95 and older.

04 - 89 jeep.jpg

Had one of these in '89 (this one not mine). A 1989 Sahara edition. It was my first manual transmission car and my first "convertible". It came with the hard top and I installed an aftermarket soft top.
I learned a few things from that car ..... how to drive a stick, be sure to get the rag top back on BEFORE the temperature drops and shrinks the material and most importantly, you should always apply sunscreen if you plan to drop the top and drive from the Bronx to Montauk in the middle of the summer! ouch!

New 16" wheels on mine today.
When I put the Synergy steering kit on the 15" wheel rubbed the right tie on full left lock just like instructions said so I needed to change anyway. One part at a time.
20240227_160302.jpg

Grandson has a 71 jeepster. 225 auto. He and have worked on it so he can drive it. Nice to work with him and see him enjoy his Jeep.

20220813_125742.jpg

I bought a ‘08 JK Wrangler, absolutely loved it. Unfortunately that generation came with the junk minivan engine which blew up two years ago with exactly the milage on it that the experts predicted. Shame, because even though we off roaded it all summer, ever summer the body and rest of the drivetrain were mint. When people heard I was buying a new one I was inundated with calls from guys wanting to buy it for an engine swap.
Anyway…
Bought a ‘22. Love it as well, it has a much better engine. I got the V6 rather than the turbo four. Off road all the time in the summer. If you go slow and careful you don’t break stuff and can climb anything. I’ve literally had people screaming that we are going to die but never scratched it. And I never really get tired of pulling lesser vehicles out of the ditch.

Well an update on my wrangler.

Got some 16" Moab wheels in black, and nice moderate Goodyear tires, about 29" tall (more like stock) h it behaves MUCH better now that it doesn't have the taller tires on, with the tall factory gears (3.07). And the secretary look is going away with the black wheels...

Installed a cheap set of LED headlights. Worked well enough but kept getting flashed. Pointed them down more and moved on.

Installed OEM fog lights, wired as DRLs (on with ignition).

Stripped, sanded, and bedlined the interior (home roll-on kit...duraliner? Can't remember the name at the moment). It's holding up well, and looks great.

Put a hoist in the garage for one-person top removal and storage.

Installed an Alpine Bluetooth stereo. Put a compact powered sub under the driver seat, for just enough bottom end. Doesn't rattle windows in storefronts when I drive by, but the stereo doesn't sound like a telephone anymore.

Swapped in a rebuilt trans...still the same noise. But now I have a spare trans. Woo. Hoo.

Checked the rear diff (D35). Had about half an inch (!!) of in-out play on the pinion! Somebody swapped the pinion seal....and didn't torque the nut properly. It calls for 250# to start, then torque to a spin-resistance measurement; I had to make a fixture to hold the pinion from turning as I torqued it. Whoever did the seal...didn't do that.

Opened it up. Teeth had a good pattern, no damage. Replaced inner and outer pinion bearings, and replaced the axle bearings cause one was notchy. Left the carrier bearings - nice and smooth, no notchiness. Put er back together, torqued the pinion nut PROPERLY (less than 1/32” end play), and all nice and quiet now.

Put new LED headlights in last weekend, with nice halo DRLs, and they work great. Wired the fog lights to come on with park lights now, since I have DRLs in the headlights. No more glare, no more flashing. Win-win. I'll pop one of the old LED lights into one of my motorcycles. Visibility on the bike is a good thing and I rarely have that one out after dark anyway.

And I painted the headlight trim black, just because.

Low beams (no bezels, paint still drying)
IMG_20240222_223717400.jpg

High beams
IMG_20240222_223732436.jpg

Hasn't been too much of a money pit...yet...but definitely keeping me busy with fun stuff!

My 95 is in my shop now with the typical rear frame rot. I'll have it done by the end of the week. I've repaired many the same way before. Old Jeeps never die! At only 132k, it's got lots of life yet.
Pics maybe tomorrow if I don't forget again.

Grandson has a 71 jeepster. 225 auto. He and have worked on it so he can drive it. Nice to work with him and see him enjoy his Jeep.

View attachment 1617293
We had a Hurst addition Jeepster come up for sale local. I really wanted it but I have enough already. Congrats on that Jeep it looks great.

Got another one recently. Dent in the fender is the only body damage. Bad engine but decent XJ. New engine goes in this weekend. Thats all ready.

Jeep XJ.jpg

My wife has a 2020 Wrangler and every time I get in the thing there are more rubber ducks on the dashboard, I asked what it was all about, apparently Jeep owners leave rubber ducks on each other's vehicles! Who knew. She said that she found another the other day and she said I got ducked! Lol

Auto Transport Service
Back