• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any model railroaders in the house?

Hell yeah. Been doin it since I was about 8. I'm into large scale now. Seen that video on some of the railroad forums. It's awesome to say the least.

No layout, but I do have a few models, of Union Pacific stuff in HO scale. Love the Big Boys, Challengers, Turbines, Double Diesels...

I have an HO Rivarossi Challenger that I started a DCC conversion on and I will NEVER use it. It's been stored at least ten years. I will sell it right.

I had the HO Rivarossi Big Boy, Challenger & Northern many years ago. Used to display them on my mantel. Alas they were traded in one of my too often switches from HO to N scale & back. Used to have some nice stuff in brass as well. Alas all I have now is some Athearn & Kato models.

Well, I am into large scale now. It took many years to finally realize my caveman hands are just too big for anything smaller than some form of G or F scale. I run a mixture of G and Fn3 now. My rule is, if it looks good, run it.

Used to have a Bachmann G scale set to run around the Christmas tree 20+ yrs ago. Looked cool!

I think I still may have it somewhere. I'll look around and see if I can get a pic.

I have a ton of newer O gauge stuff from mth and lionel. My layout is a single track loop around the ceiling in the finished part of the basement on a home made shelf setup. It goes through a wall into a "tunnel" that goes into the boiler room and comes back out from a different portal. Nothing fancy just a big oval but I can run some pretty long trains on it. Lately I've been looking into g scale live steam for outside

I was doing a portion of the PRR route through Xenia OH in the 19x15 "den" that was the main reason I bought my current house. I ordered a locally produced history of the railroad booklet, including a town track arrangement, have the 1954 edition of the interlocking diagram, and the employee timetable and rule book. I kit-bashed a PRR specific H class 2-8-0 out of a BLI (DCC/sound) 2-8-2 and an MDC boiler. I even took it to the BLI corporate headquarters to show them how easy a project it could be for them, if I could do it myself. (now they are producing one).
I also have some of their production prototypes that I picked up CHEAP during their "scratchbuilders yardsale", including some of the ones the had to surrender the tooling for due to the MTH lawsuit.

It was operational (but without scenery) with a car card system and I was installing signals, and plannning a second deck and staging, when I realized I'd have a much more realistic run in N (you'd think 19x15 would be enough, right?), so now I'm planning a CSX/Pinsley interchange modeled after whats within 5 miles of my house. Kinda stalled right now since my focus has been cars for while. I tend to ebb and flow between cars, music, trains and computers. At least one of them pays the bills.

I'm assuming the OP has been to the B&O museum.

In 1976 I won the American Freedom train coloring contest in my town.
The prize was a cab ride into the station, and a VIP tour of the train.
That was AWESOME.

I got to the B&O museum about 5 years ago, and was reunited with Reading 2101.
I actually didn't know it was there, and stumbled across it as I was almost ready to leave.
Kinda like seeing an old friend that's seen better days. Somewhere I've got a pic of 8 year old me, with my hand on the throttle, under steam...and now a pic of 40 year old me and the "shell". (tear)

Attachments

• Kiesel-2-1-10 C.jpg
    Kiesel-2-1-10 C.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 320
  • Yard1.jpg
    Yard1.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 297
  • Yard2.jpg
    Yard2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 288
seen that video before I believe someone posted the one with the airport ,running :blob1:

I used to when I was a kid.. HO scale.. but I have no clue what rusty and satman were talking about..LOL far to techinical for me..hahaha that vid is awesome... the hobby has come a long way with the computerized stuff. Incredible
You need room for it.

I'm grinding down and priming the floors in my 67 Coronet alone today. My son Charlie went with my uncle Bruce to the Worlds Greatest Hobby on Tour Train Show in San Mateo by San Francisco to help sell a Suv and a trailer both filled with G scale trains and accessories this weekend. He has a whole attic full of the stuff and he is geting rid of all of it due to health issues. I have never seen more train stuff anywhere. I wish I was at the show with them but I have too much work to do on our resto. We have a few boxes of the old Marx O scale tin trains. Cool post. I'm 41 and still love toys! Nice to see I'm not alone on this.

Finally in retirement I've started a long awaited 8'x12' N scale layout in a spare room off the man cave .

I've accumulated way more stuff than I'll ever use so will be warming up the E-Bay keys to thin the herd and fund the new pike.

My plan is for a freelanced Pacific NW geography layout set in the late 60's-early 70's where GN, NP, D&RGW, WP, CB&Q, and anything else I feel like running are evident - - - whenever I'm not working on Mopar, honey-do, or other such priorities of course.

YY1, that is an awesome layout. Played with the HO cars when I was younger, but never got into the trains but could watch them for hours. I have been thinking about getting some track & cars and getting a setup for when the grandkids come up.

Thanks-

That's just the "East" yard that I named "Kiesel Yard" after the PRR engineer that invented a type of tender truck.

The layout went all the way around the other walls (on hollow core doors), and "terminated" in another smaller, single ended yard, but had run through capabiliies across a magnetic lift out bridge spanning the doorway, and could either go back through the photo area, or go to a helix that was to lead to the planned lower level, which I started, but never completed. You can see the entry in the plan. The helix was also a wye, and I had an auto-reverse circuit for it.

I tell ya, if you like mechanical, electrical, and electronic challenges, not to mention physics, geometry, logic, and a LOT of carpentry, you gat a LOT of opportunity and practice with MRR.

...and there sure as hell IS a difference between "toy trains" and model railroading.

Really modest setup, but I was a Road Conductor on on a short line freight RR here in WNY for 12 years. Incredible job, good pay, tons of responsibility. Only bad thing is, after your hours of service was up you went back to work, whatever time of day or night it was. Dave

Auto Transport Service
Back