• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Texans in the House - Potential Relo

GetX'd

Making Life Great Again!
Local time
4:39 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys - current, former, future Texans pls weigh in. My wife and I need desperately to get out of CA for all the reasons you could possibly think of. We were in process of designing and pre construction on a home on a lake in the Treasure Valley (near Boise) ID. After 4 1/2 months of designing but pre escrow on the actual lot and start of construction some things were occurring that made me uncomfortable and I decided to bail before getting to deep and no option of backing out. It was a dream home on a lake and Frank Lloyd Wright completely custom design - but business is business.

So now we’re reconsidering that area and want to go on a scouting trip to the greater Austin area. Completely different in every way I know. I used to go there on business but that’s been 10 years past now. I’m now retired and my lovely wife is a mid-career RN. We/I need some degree of cosmopolitan more for her, outdoor life is very important. Natural beauty is important. Weather is also of importance. Being able to build a new social circle - which with SoCal culture is historically a bad joke. I want to live in a free state where the constitution is still revered. Unlike here where they regularly and repeatedly walk all over it.

I’m asking for anyone that has any opinion, insight or other to weigh in and share their thoughts. Thanks for any and all!

Austin is a mess. I live in Mansfield, which is between Ft worth and Dallas. Lots of good land out here and the town is still growing

Been here 10 years now after 40 in VA.
Texans are very proud of their state.
As you can imagine the don't CA my TX is a common bumper sticker.
And I agree.
Moving to Texas is one of the best things I have ever done.
I live in the DFW area, lots of work, sports, homes and country living.

Stay out of Austin, I’m 1 hour & 5 stop lights north of Houston (IAH) on lake Livingston. Wouldn’t trade it for the world. It’s country but not for everyone.

Why Austin... It's California Lite....
Yeah - I somewhat know that but that’s why I’m considering the greater area not Austin itself. As I understand it the outlying areas are conservative based not liberal as Austin itself. I don’t want land per se. A very nice home on a fairly small lot with something to look at out the back. I’m not keen on pretty much the rest of TX that’s why the hill country appeals to me. The one thing that would revolt me would be anything close to CA in terms of liberal mindset.

Been to the great state of Texas many times, relatives there, THE BEST STATE IN THE USA. I prefer the hills west of Austin. If situations were in order, I'd live there tomorrow.

Austin is a mess. I live in Mansfield, which is between Ft worth and Dallas. Lots of good land out here and the town is still growing

Thx for your input. I have a sister that lives in the DFW area for decades and loves it. But for me it’s too metro and it’s not the hill country with outdoor life that I’m looking for. We would be relatively close to her which would be nice but no DFW is not for me. Honestly I also don’t want land or “country living”. Kind of looking for something in between. I want fishing and at least bird hunting - my big game days are over. Low maintenance living.

Canyon Lake is nice New Braunfels too. Used to go there when I lived in Houston in the Urban Cowboy days.

I second the New Braunfels area. I worked
in the Sealy area (very humid), and drove I-10
headed home. Always took the back roads
around San Antonio. Kerville is also a nice
area and would serve as a good second
choice.

Thx for your input. I have a sister that lives in the DFW area for decades and loves it. But for me it’s too metro and it’s not the hill country with outdoor life that I’m looking for. We would be relatively close to her which would be nice but no DFW is not for me. Honestly I also don’t want land or “country living”. Kind of looking for something in between. I want fishing and at least bird hunting - my big game days are over. Low maintenance living.
I too, love bird hunting. Waterfowl mostly.
The hill country of Texas really doesn't
make you feel like you're living in the
middle of nowhere until you get west
of Kerville. From there to Ft. Stockton,
and Ft Stockton to El Paso is the wild west.
Ozona is in the middle of the proverbial
nowhere.
I've a friend who lives in Lubbock. Not a bad
larger town with a major university hospital.
(they saved my wifes' life). Relatively dry
climate. Fishing/bird hunting abound.
Texas is very diverse. Personally, I would
avoid the Austin area, and aim for much further
South or much further east. (Piney woods area
like Big Sandy). The southern areas around
Houston are unbearable in the summer
months with 90 deg Temps and 100%
humidity.

Last edited:
Lake living is awesome......but, just remember that the bugs are twin engine here.....hehe

Both times I lived in Texas I was either in the Army or Army adjacent via relatives. I've lived in Weldon, Killeen and Ft Hood area. Don't recommend any of those however. What I DO know is that Austin has gone to the LGBTQxIIIke sajdnkshhvkh people. It is WOKE. Stay away unless that's yer scene. My wife watches that "Queer Eye" show and those people are based in Austin this season and it is all woke all of the time.

Hill country would be best, the breeze's you would get living at any elevation will help with the bugs. Plus, you will have a lot more to look at. On the way to Iraq we set up the choppers and the battalion on a hilltop South of Ft Hood. There were bugs galore day & night. The breeze was the only relief. I'll amend this by saying that those choppers were heat monsters and the bugs loved them for it. In the areas away from them the bugs were much less. Plus we were 482 men and women that were stomping around in the grass and woods day and night. That tends to disturb the bug population in the springtime.

Last edited:
First the GTX, now the Laguna Beach property. OMG. I hesitate to let the San Jose property go cause it doesn’t cost too much to sustain it monthly, weather is alway good, and there is NO going back. Spending as much time in Florida lately. Nice in these parts this time of year.

40 years ago the Austin area was ok. Now it's been californicated. I'll drive100 miles out of my way to avoid having to go through that cesspool.
I'll never understand people that despise their state's leadership agenda so much they relocate to a conservative area. Only to vote for the same leadership they couldn't wait to get away from.
Texas has hundreds of better choices than Travis county.

Congratulations on your decision to get out get out of there, to bad for the other Californians that don't have or refuse to understand your mindset to leave!!! Good Luck with the move!!!

40 years ago the Austin area was ok. Now it's been californicated. I'll drive100 miles out of my way to avoid having to go through that cesspool.
I'll never understand people that despise their state's leadership agenda so much they relocate to a conservative area. Only to vote for the same leadership they couldn't wait to get away from.
Texas has hundreds of better choices than Travis county.

I’ll never understand it either - but that’s not me if you read any of my posts you’d know that. My only reason for that area is the beauty of it and the reasonable weather. Maybe TX isn’t for me if that entire area is completely polluted with what some say it is. I was thinking outside of the city not so much. Besides try it here where I am for a year and maybe you’d better understand

First the GTX, now the Laguna Beach property. OMG. I hesitate to let the San Jose property go cause it doesn’t cost too much to sustain it monthly, weather is alway good, and there is NO going back. Spending as much time in Florida lately. Nice in these parts this time of year.
I’ve had those same thoughts. My place doesn’t cost much to maintain and I know once you leave there ‘s no going back. But I dislike this culture and totalitatism so much why the hell would I ever want to return? I’m not talking just in the last decade even - more like the last two decades at least. My biggest problem is where to go and also be considerate of my wife. I want out badly, she could stay here forever. She’s an immigrant and knows little of the rest of the country and her only family is here. She doesn’t let any of what goes on here bother her. She came from a communist country and knows nothing of the Americana that I know. It’s a very difficult situation. We think of this as such a big country with limitless possibilities - but it’s not really that way for me any more. The choices that are palatable are few and again I have to take care of her vs trying to drag her away to satisfy myself. Complicated and I struggle with it every day.

Auto Transport Service
Back