• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

any tricks to remove stuck pipe plug?

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:52 AM
Reaction score
want to install a mechanical coolant temp gauge but the pipe plug in the timing cover on the 426 won't budge. anyone have any tips besides a burning all the paint off with a torch to free this puppy up? pretty sure its oe so I don't think I could weld a nut to the top of it, if its oe its not steel, am I correct?
Dan

Penetrating oil....lots....but timing cover? No pipe plugs in a big block timing cover. It's just basically a stamped sheet metal cover.

Heat the plug up and run a candle on it to allow the wax to penetrate the threads, then just back it out. It works!

how hot are we talking about?
Just hot enough to melt the candle, but it needs to melt the candle to the touch. Which really isnt that hot but it might darken the paint, which I think might be inevitable unless you go with the above mentioned penetrating oil.

Penetrating oil....lots....but timing cover? No pipe plugs in a big block timing cover. It's just basically a stamped sheet metal cover.
iron housing for water pump, my bad

If it's OE it's absolutely steel and you can weld a nut to it...
want to install a mechanical coolant temp gauge but the pipe plug in the timing cover on the 426 won't budge. anyone have any tips besides a burning all the paint off with a torch to free this puppy up? pretty sure its oe so I don't think I could weld a nut to the top of it, if its oe its not steel, am I correct?
Dan

If you don't mind destroying a torx socket, Find one that you can drive in with a hammer into the hex of the plug. Sent a block to machine shop to remove a galley plug, that's what they did.

it is a square not a allen , would that be oe?

IMG_9695.jpeg

just so happens i removed one today. impact wrench rounded out the square hole. welded a 3/8 grade 8 bolt in the hole which broke off leaving aprox 1/2 inch sticking out of the plug. welded a 1/2 inch nut to the bolt stub and to the top of the plug at bottom of the nut. put 3/4 impact socket on the nut and hit trigger on impact. viola! finaly came out. simple huh?

just so happens i removed one today. impact wrench rounded out the square hole. welded a 3/8 grade 8 bolt in the hole which broke off leaving aprox 1/2 inch sticking out of the plug. welded a 1/2 inch nut to the bolt stub and to the top of the plug at bottom of the nut. put 3/4 impact socket on the nut and hit trigger on impact. viola! finaly came out. simple huh?
And there ya go... I'd probably grab a 5/8' or 3/4" nut & MIG through the nut, down into the square recess & keep burning wire till the nut is full to the top... The heat will help even more than having something solid to put a socket on...

Is it’s rusted in place. No amount of spray or candle wax will do anything. Heat it up dull orange with a torch. Burn the paint off, no big deal. Let it cool a few minutes and it will come right out. Won’t damage the plug at all

yes the original plug is steel

If you are really worried about running a torch under the hood. Just take the water pump off, remove the plug and then you can touch up the paint... Another solution.. Have you tried removing it after getting it up to temperature? If I remember doesn't a 3/8 extension fit in there... A few blows with a hammer to shock the threads while hot loosens a lot of stuff. Good luck.

I would try the impact first. I dealt with a seized one years ago and didn't have an impact. I ended up drilling it out and re tapping with a tap.

I am with R413. Many are extremely hard to get out and the torch method is the best way to get it out without rounding or damaging plug. Best to do this off the car.

3/8" or 5/16" ? They make plug sockets for those. If it's 3/8 you can use a short extension but I can guarantee you it will break. The hole they drill for the spring and ball make it weak right where you need the strength.

I would try a 3/8 - 1/2" adapter on a good 1/2" impact.
No extension (they make it rubbery).
You could hit it with a heat gun a few times first.
I was able to get mine out on my 66 with relative ease, I was really surprised.

Decided to take advice and work smarter not harder. Lets this sucker out of here, gives me the opportunity to get out the rotted heater hose nipples also.

image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back