• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody have a replacement hip ?

I had a total hip replacement on my right side a little over 10 years ago - just prior to turning 47. I had degenerative arthritis. I limped around for 7 years before I even went to a doc to see what's what. I had the surgery less than 6 months later. Mine was posterior and was a great success. Doc told me I'd be back in 10 years for the left. At that time that one didn't bother me at all, but he could see it in the x-rays. I kind of wondered how accurate he'd be on that - right up to the 10 year mark. Wouldn't you know it that just about on schedule the left started bothering me off and on. Once in awhile I get serious pain in it, but I'm holding out awhile longer. It's not near as bad as the right one was when I had it done.

Hip rehab is easier than other joints. Basically all you have to do is walk to rehab it. I got to know even more how great my wife is while she was my nurse. You'll need help no matter what you may think.

A guy I work with who's older than me had his done anterior. He got in infection or something and it went bad. He had to have it redone posterior. He's doing great now. It'll all depend on your surgeon which way - anterior or posterior. I think there's a way in the middle of those now, too.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

For the past year or so I've wondered if I would need one as no Chiropractor in 35+ years would tell me if I had one leg longer than the other, as my right hip and leg joint was/is about an inch lower than the left. I still don't know but it was confirmed last Tuesday that I will eventually need THR sooner than later, GREAT! I've been searching all over the net for intel and answers, not really looking forward to it, but I'm getting tired of living like a cripple, and let's not forget the pain! Been dealing with it for about 6 months now, I'll turn 64 in the fall.

Had my right one done 22 years ago a month after they approved the new ceramic one. Was out a month later with a cane installing a new motor in my car. Starting to have some pain now but my fault for overdoing it.

my girlfriend has had two right and a left and its the best thing she ever did

Got the right hip in April of 2020.. Gonna have my left hip done in August. :praying:

Got the right hip in April of 2020.. Gonna have my left hip done in August. :praying:

How's the right one doing? I'm thinking of doing it over winter as not to spoil good weather nursing myself back to health..

Looks like my right one is shot,the pain is unbelieveable. In 5 months it went from a pain in the *** to using a cane and can barely walk. Doctor said it will be about 8 weeks before he can operate. Arthritis came on quick.Sucks getting old..
Yes. I have 2. First in 2015, second in 2018 (both posterior). Getting old is just one factor. Genetics, sports injuries, and your work environment also have a lot to do with it. My Doc has operated on people in their 40's, and even a few in their 30's.

Recuperation time is short, if you follow physical therapy and walk a lot. You'll be asking yourself "why did I wait so long?" Just do it!

"why did I wait so long?"
Had a friend who was in pain for years and was limping every time I saw him which was not too often. He never wanted to talk about it so I didn't pry. Several years later after not seeing him for quite a long while I went to a job and was looking for one of his men (he was a contractor). I saw a really tall A-frame with his company name on it and at the top were two legs half disappeared through the recessed ceiling. I called up to the person and down comes this guy bounding off the ladder ..... my friend. I couldn't believe it! He was as spry as a teenager, no ****. He told me he had a hip replacement and that the FEAR of the outcome had kept him in pain for almost 20 years. He told me how foolish he felt (and anger at himself) for ......
"why did I wait so long?"

I had my right one done in 2009 just before I turned 47. Had the left done in January, 2021. I spent 5 hours raking my yard this spring, and for the first time in years, I wasn't in pain when I finished. I couldn't be happier with my new hips. I'm reminded that my left is still healing just a bit if I bend over farther than I should to tie a shoe. But as my surgeon said, it didn't get that way over night and it won't heal overnight. I think the femur is still finishing healing with the rod jammed down inside.

Well I guess you have tons of encouragement here. A lot of positive stories. Just research your surgeon and get the best you can. It’s not yet been hips for me but I’ve had 4 arthroscopic surgeries on my knees over the years. Cartiledge. Mostly sports injuries. 1 in the right and now just had the 3rd in the left. My knees post surgery have always been very good. After this last one I believe the surgeon got too aggressive and took out more than necessary. No way to prove it - but I have sharp pain whenever I move it more than slightly to the right. Have seen other docs - they say nothing can be done for it other than a partial or total. I’m upset and not doing either one until I have to. This sounds bad but I think he was setting me up for a future replacement by something he said just after surgery. Should have been a simple in and out. And it wasn’t. He snipped too much - once taken can’t have it back - at least not in my case.

I know several folks who had it done. Actually, 2 of them worked with me here at the hospital. They were successful but both had the same reaction sometime afterward. That being they both had metal on metal joints and had pain from them so one guy had it replaced. I think there was a recall on some of those years back. I also recall years back that my grandmother had a hip replacement that came apart when they were moving her from her bed to a stretcher to go for some tests while hospitalized.
If you want to save some money, I suggest getting hypnotized to LIKE pain! There are some medical professionals who can perform a complete "cashectomy" and never give it a second thought!
In my case I could use a brain transplant.
:lol:

Last edited:
it's been about 50 years since I've been under the knife.
Meh, at this point in the last decade I've gone from "never needed a doc" to "welcome back Ed, what are we hacking on today?" :lol:
I've lost count of the number of times I've been under. Seriously - and yeah, that's a strange place to be for sure, but eh?
You read about the odd occurrence of something weird happening during "routine surgery" sometimes - but for the most part,
it's pretty normal for the experts anymore.

Lookit, if the pain is that bad, get on with getting it done. Life is too damn short to put up with that nonsense if you get
good odds on them making things better.
The sooner it's begun, the sooner it's over!:thumbsup:

I had some bladder surgery done and now I can't walk due to the pain in my right hip, hell I can't even sleep some nights..... Went to a Orthopedic Doc and he told me my right hip is full of Arthritis???
Pretty sure the Quack and his *** wipe assistants reefed on my leg moving me during my surgery...
I never want to see another Quack " Practicing " medicine again.....

Looks like my right one is shot,the pain is unbelieveable. In 5 months it went from a pain in the *** to using a cane and can barely walk. Doctor said it will be about 8 weeks before he can operate. Arthritis came on quick.Sucks getting old..
I don’t, but when I was in rehab for a stroke in 2014, I saw many people in rehab after hip replacement. All ofthem were very happy for the procedure, and after few weeks we’re good as new. No more pain at all, so go ahead, just don’t buy the replacement at Walmart, obviously.

69a100, Mobility is fine after the replacement. Range of motion not like the real thing.
Gets sore during activity. But I can't really complain.

Auto Transport Service
Back