• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody know lemon laws?

THE STIG

Local time
10:26 PM
Reaction score
I got a friend who wanted to buy his brothers truck, so to sell his 300M I told him how to list his car on craigslist. He got it sold like 3 days after he listed it, but 6 days after he sold it the chick who bought it emailed him back and said "the wheel bearings are bad" and that he was dishonest and endangered her family. I'm not sure of all the details but I do know that it was his daily driver for like 10 years and he had his family in the car before he sold it to her not to mention she got a great deal, he sold it for like $1500 less than any other similar 300M on CL. The last I knew Indiana law stated that the buyer is responsible for making sure the car is mechanically sound prior to taking possession but I'm no lawyer and now I'm feeling guilty because I taught him how to use CL and some crazy braud giving him problems. Anybody have any insight here?

Been years since I've dealt with lemon laws but this doesn't fall into that category if the car doesn't have a history of that, it's not a lemon. This is why used car lots have a disclaimer on the window....Sold As Is. Might mention that the car was sold cheap and then make a deal with the woman offering to pay for the parts but not the labor. Normal wear and tear doesn't make a lemon.....or tell her to just screw off and sue me.

Wouldn't fly in Cal here either. Sales receipt? signed by both party's and it's as-is done no take backs. The only thing she can do is take him to small claims court for what ever the max is in your state. Ours is $5000 or $7500 now not sure. Buyers remorse is a bitch of a thing....best to just not respond to her at all and gather up all the docs he might have on the service of the car and get a signed written statement from a mechanic saying the car was safe when sold. all this if possible if not then reminder her that a used car is just that USED. Good luck.

Most states, on a purchase from an individual lemon laws are null and void. Only from a dealer.

Yep, a private party sale has no guarantee unless he put some in writing or maybe if the buyer can prove that the seller knew of a problem and lied about it. I just bought a truck Wednesday, drove it home and then it wouldn't start. Have to put in a new starter and cable. I had test driven it and had no problem, so it happened after I bought it. No way would I blame the prior owner. Don't sweat it that you turned your buddy on to Craigslist. This could have happened he had sold the car through the newspaper, a sign in the window, a bulletin board, etc.

Not here in Oklahoma, it "As is" from an individual. Not too sure about your state, but some have a 3 day grace from a car lot.

I wouldn't sweat it. If she does take him to small claims, she has to prove he had prior knowledge of the bearing being bad, and didn't disclose it. Then she going to asked why she didn't have the car checked out by a mechanic prior to purchase.

The judge will usually look at the book value vs what it sold for. If it was sold for less, she still doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Auto Transport Service
Back