• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody stack head gaskets for quench

Slap in a .039 Felpro and you're good to go. Or is that too expensive for you ??
I think he’s saying he’s .010 out of the hole? If not then I’m not sure what the problem is. I was thinking he needed .050 minimum but who knows?

I think he’s saying he’s .010 out of the hole? If not then I’m not sure what the problem is. I was thinking he needed .050 minimum but who knows?
He is trying to use an open chamber piston (quench dome) with a closed chamber rpm eddy head, and he probably has piston to head contact with a standard head gasket.

So, if you deck a block you're supposed to shave the intake manifold to match. Do you have to add extra intake gaskets if you add extra head gaskets?

Mismatched components, bad plan. I wouldn't stack head gaskets. I'd worry a lot about the gaskets not matching up correctly.
I have used a 915 head on one side and a 906 on the other, with different thickness gaskets to equalize the CR. Worked just fine.

Might have intake sealing problem.

Intake sealing is only an issue if someone changes the angle on the head surface. If either a block is decked or a lot is shaved off the head surface, just enlarging (elongating them) the intake bolt holes is sufficient to allow the intake to be bolted and sealed. The ports and gaskets may not line up but sealing shouldn't be an issue.

In this case he's raising the heads so he's likely going to have to add gaskets to the intake side. There are thick gaskets available and stacking those shouldn't be an issue. But I'd be using ample gasket sealer there !!

I'd just have the pistons shaved 040" or so. Too likely for trouble with gasket stacking.

I'd just have the pistons shaved 040" or so. Too likely for trouble with gasket stacking.

Yep. And, if the motor is out of the car, you could do it yourself at home for probably the cost of the second set of gaskets. Actually, you might be able to do it in the car.

The quench dome foot print is not that large either, so I don't think the out of balance would be an issue. Could be wrong.

Last edited:
Regardless of what you do, a good rule of thumb is to have .040" clearance between the piston and anything it might hit. So if the piston is .010" out of the hole, the OP should use .050" head gaskets.

But keep in mind the OP is a self-proclaimed cheap bastard. So a proper, quality solution is not what's requested here. He's probably trying to flip a motor and just needs it to stay together long enough to get out of sight.

Knock yourself out. Use 2, may be 3 for lots of quench! :BangHead::BangHead::lol::lol:

Hey Stanton ican be cheap BUT I am not a bastard nor would I say anything like that about anyone on this site.
Two, I would NOT flip a motor that I would do this to. My reputation means more to me then easy money.
I do have morals
Just trying to save the costs of new pistons or heads, I'll probably shave the quench dime and see what happens.

The crank bobweight is balanced by 1/2 the piston weight, the quenchpad isn't that much area, if you do limited grinding we are talking only a few grams...something you won't notice.
Use a .051 head gasket and take .020 off the quench dome. Or take .030 off and use the felpro .039. If you need less compression then cometics. Take the pad all off and I don't know that you will have any quench at all... it depends what piston your using?. I would figure out a goal for compression and choose the best gasket and machine the piston for quench accordingly.

Last edited:
The crank bobweight is balanced by 1/2 the piston weight, the quenchpad isn't that much area, if you do limited grinding we are talking only a few grams...something you won't notice.
Use a .051 head gasket and take .020 off the quench dome. Or take .030 off and use the felpro .039. If you need less compression then cometics. Take the pad all off and I don't know that you will have any quench at all... it depends what piston your using?. I would figure out a goal for compression and choose the best gasket and machine the piston for quench accordingly.

The OP has not been very clear on exactly what he's got. Generally, both of the KB quench/step head pistons are about 0.040 to 0.050" proud of a typical deck. If that is the case, probably 8 to 10 grams.

The OP has not been very clear on exactly what he's got. Generally, both of the KB quench/step head pistons are about 0.040 to 0.050" proud of a typical deck. If that is the case, probably 8 to 10 grams.
I bet your figures are right on...I was going on what he stated as .010 clearance.. I was figuring its .030 proud.
But to the op...check more then one hole. If the block is squared up they are likely close to being the same. If it was last squared up at chrysler...check them all.Lol

Auto Transport Service
Back