• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone been vehicle shopping lately ? Or have insight on a downturn?

I have been looking for a different truck. My 2 Dakota's gave frame rust issues to the point of being scarry. Now is not the time to buy a vehicle. Not much choice and prices are sky high. I would like a newer Dakota but they aren't made any more and the ones I am finding Re as rusty as the ones I own.

I have been looking for a different truck. My 2 Dakota's gave frame rust issues to the point of being scarry. Now is not the time to buy a vehicle. Not much choice and prices are sky high. I would like a newer Dakota but they aren't made any more and the ones I am finding Re as rusty as the ones I own.
Both of mine have solid frames! Must be the rust belt stuff that's killing them. My 95 has never been garaged enough to say it was garaged.....and don't know about the 96. The 95 still has it's original paint all be it faded and peeling but no body rust and the 96 has been painted once that I can tell. It doesn't seem to have much bondo if any.....

If you informed yourself by watching the videos available about the current car market, you'll be better off waiting a little while longer to buy your next used car or truck.

Regarding rust free trucks, do as you would when buying a classic car, buy from an area where the winters aren't harsh.

Daughter lease vehicle 2019 Nissan Rogue $249.00 for 36 months. There are NO cars available, extended lease for another 4 months at a higher monthly rate of $302.00. Daughter leased a 2023 Kia Sportage SUV @ $399.00 per month. Prices & interest rates have sky rocketed.....

Like this?

I would advise to look in eastern Wyoming and Montana for dry sheet metal Dakotas. A trip to Yellowstone and points in between from Iowa isn't the worst road trip.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone - test drove some this weekend. After some additional reading and talking with the salesperson the Eco-Diesel is out. As mentioned here a time or two, its not built for what I am needing - short distance drives, doesnt like idle time and even the auto start feature for it isnt great if you arent going to put on serious miles after. Says it just jams up the system and plays havoc with the emissions. On top of that, I didnt find the eco-diesel as fun to drive - I had cummins previously and it didnt feel the same in any way shape or form, and not near as responsive as the hemi.

I did find a Ram Rebel that I liked. It has everything I "want" in a vehicle, way more than is needed. Now the salesperson just needs to come back with a price we both can live with.

To address the original question from the OP regarding a market "downturn":
1. Yes, vehicle sales are down and inventories are filling back up.
2. The primary cause of this is the change in interest rates/loan programs that have occurred
in recent times.
Lots of analytical articles out there, written by folks far more knowledgeable than most of us,
for perusal by anyone who can operate an internet search engine.

The prices are not coming down. A new norm is set.
Once folks proved they would pay the line has moved.
Jmho.
I really hope this isn't true but it wouldn't surprise me, I for one refuse to get another vehicle at these prices.

It's not just vehicles....or don't you buy groceries, fuel, and electricity?

It's INFLATION.
I'm perfectly aware but this vehicle BS started way before groceries went through the roof when there was chip shortages.

So how is one supply and demand / supply chain issue different than another? Just curious...but anytime ANY commodity gets scarce, and demand stays high or goes higher...prices go up.

The dealer I work for (six brands, import and domestic) didn't have squat on the lot for nearly six months. We'd get cars...pre-sold. Unload, prep...GONE. Nothing on display for months.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks!!
Probably more like it was/is planned...

right up their alley, MSM/DNC WH narrative

look at the hate for fossil fuels climate/spin (political)
we are in today,
sorry; but it's very hard to not, tie all this nonsense to politics
or their failing polices, in some way

(we really should be hating them 'fossil fools' & those that 'voted for it' instead :lol: )
seems like it's screw the lil' guy & small business, the average Joe
every chance they get... since Jan 2020
Electricity, food, gas & diesel is a huge part of our economy
everything needs it, deliveries, trucks shipping, tractors for crops
commuters, trains/shipping, planes (jet-fuel 9based on diesel or even avgas)
you name it... fossil fuels is used in some way or other

Even other **** that relies on the petroleum industry
plastics, take-out containers, building or working on cars/truck, lubricants,
even a woman's makeup :blah:

look out west, you can find decent ones relatively cheap

mine is still near perfect
I live in snow area too,
we don't use salt out here or brine nonsense either
when I wash it I spray off the underside always too

grant you mine has only 60k miles, but it's still 23 years old a 1999
no rust & it's garaged 90% of it's life, except for when I traveled
the 1st 1900 miles I don't know
I bought it as a 'dealer demo' from the local dealer, great discount
Gen. Mngr was driving it, I've had it since Jan or Feb, 1999

old photo but still looks the same
Budnicks 99 Dakota 4x4 #1.JPG

I live in snow area too,

grant you mine is only 60k miles, but it's still 23 years old a 1999
no rust & it's garaged 90% of it's life, the 1st 1900 miles I don't know
I bought it as a dealer demo from the local dealer, Gen. Mngr was driving it

View attachment 1363043
Looks like a road trip is in order.

I live in snow area too,
when I wash it I spray off the underside always too

grant you mine has only 60k miles, but it's still 23 years old a 1999
no rust & it's garaged 90% of it's life, except for when I traveled
the 1st 1900 miles I don't know
I bought it as a 'dealer demo' from the local dealer, great discount
Gen. Mngr was driving it, I've had it since Jan or Feb, 1999

View attachment 1363043
I lost a chance on a clean one not far away by a couple hours. I need to keep looking. Yours is a clean one.

Cranky, you need to buy a Cummins thermostat, period. Nothing from the parts store, they tend to not work correctly and not last. I changed my original thermostat in my 11’ 2 years ago. Replaced it with a Cummins OEM, works as it should. Your rig should have a 190* thermostat in it.
A Cummins stat was the 1st choice and after that one did the same as what was in it, I tried the aftermarket....and another. They all did the same thing.

I lost a chance on a clean one not far away by a couple hours. I need to keep looking. Yours is a clean one.
I just did a quick check, on www.autabuy.com
for 1997-2001 Dodge Dakota for quick reference on pricing

a lower milage truck would be a lil' more
but probably $10k or less still

there's a couple on there 2) 4x4s, 1) 2wd 1997-2001
(body style I like)
all were/are 1200+ & 1400+ & 1800+ miles away from me
so maybe closer to you

examples;
2001 crew cab SLT $4999 w/178k miles 4x4 no photo
probably v6
*2001 crew cab SLT 4.7lter v8 $6999 w/224k miles 4x4 no photo
both autos I assume
2000 ext-cab SLT $6900 w/186k miles
probably v6

I'm sure there's better sites too

--------------------------------------------------------------

mine is a SLT 4x4 ext-cab 5.2ltr Magnum 318cid V8 auto/od,
& I wouldn't sell it even for $15k,
I can't replace it for that
& not have a comparable truck/shape 'especially mileage' etc.
& power
(I have a few smog-legal bolt-ons, 1.7:1 HS rockers, AEM airbox/filter & intake,
cat-back Flowmaster delta-series 50 - 3" & tuner, all of which really woke it up,
bigger tires, for the spirited driving in the mountains & still get a lil' better milage too)

I love that lil' truck, it's got a lot of life left
at that rate I'm going maybe another 23 years :poke:

Last edited:
A Cummins stat was the 1st choice and after that one did the same as what was in it, I tried the aftermarket....and another. They all did the same thing.
How old is your water pump? It's 3 bolts, stupid easy to swap...

7K for a 2000 Dakota?

How much is my 2000 R/T CC worth?

Last time I checked around 2017, it was worth about 4K.

However, I am keeping that truck until one of us dies.
Despite relatively poor MPG (13-ish average), it's the most dependable vehicle I've ever owned and it's likely the last vehicle I'l still be able to work on.

Auto Transport Service
Back